Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky v Eircom/Freeview

• 27-01-2015 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

So UPC have gone for price jump so thank god I will be able to get out of my contract early. I had Sky for TV for years and decided to swap last year for the Horizon bundle. I did have UPC for Internet and still think they are great for BB.

The Horizon box is a disaster and I want it out ASAP....I will probably look at keeping there internet if they give me a decent package

Anyway for the few channels I use I looked at Eircom. The initial problem is they want to hard wire the Eircom box into telephone connection and I dont want to run cables but I think I have a way around this.

I am just wondering how it compares to Sky? Is the Eircom box any good for recording etc? or is it the same crap as Horizon?

I use XBMC for majority of stuff but like having standard channels plus the kids ones just to have there. Don't want to pay much....

Also is there a good alternative on freeview? I mean a decent box alternative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey Guys

So UPC have gone for price jump so thank god I will be able to get out of my contract early. I had Sky for TV for years and decided to swap last year for the Horizon bundle. I did have UPC for Internet and still think they are great for BB.

The Horizon box is a disaster and I want it out ASAP....I will probably look at keeping there internet if they give me a decent package

Anyway for the few channels I use I looked at Eircom. The initial problem is they want to hard wire the Eircom box into telephone connection and I dont want to run cables but I think I have a way around this.

I am just wondering how it compares to Sky? Is the Eircom box any good for recording etc? or is it the same crap as Horizon?

I use XBMC for majority of stuff but like having standard channels plus the kids ones just to have there. Don't want to pay much....

Also is there a good alternative on freeview? I mean a decent box alternative?

Will Eircom not let you use home plugs instead of a cable? I had eVision as a demo before the launch and I thought it was OK. eVision of course will take a big chunk of your broadband but if you have UPC you should be OK. There must be a thread on here for eVision.

Freeview is the UK version of Saorview in that you connect to your aerial. Are you near the border?

Freesat would be a good option. Simply connect to your exisiting Sky dish. Humax would be a good box and would give you an interface like Sky + ability to record. You would still need Saorview to get the Irish channels.

Or FreeToAir (FTA) type combo box - connect to both aerial and Sky dish to give you UK and Irish channels on one interface.

www.freetv.ie has a number of different boxes to check out with useful videos explaining it all.

Advertisement