Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

This was also also featured on the same programme about an ancient Iraqi computer

http://www.aquiziam.com/ancient-technology.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This was also also featured on the same programme about an ancient Iraqi computer

http://www.aquiziam.com/ancient-technology.html
    The Antikythera mechanism is not Iraqi

a reconstruction has been made, it's an orrery - like an astronomical clock except it doesn't have clockwork.

I've seen lots of stuff on the Baghdad Battery people measuring Voltage and then making all sorts of claims. So far I haven't seen anyone get more than ~4mA current out of one so completely useless for electroplating or any other electro-mechanical usage. You'd get 1,000 times as much power out of a USB port.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Who DID leave the dogs out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Yeah, the Bloop is kinda scary. Some say it was an icequake, others say it was an underwater creature. If it wasn't an icequake, then it is an absolutely terrifying prospect that there is something so big and loud that it was picked up by microphones 3,000 miles away.

It probably was an icequake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

The Bloop is such a cartoonish name for a sound of that scale. Kinda makes it sound like a whale blew a transoceanic kiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Muise... wrote: »
    The Bloop is such a cartoonish name for a sound of that scale. Kinda makes it sound like a whale blew a transoceanic kiss.

Everyone knows that 'Bloop' is from the old Germanic word 'Bloopastink' which translates as Giant Whales Fart!

Did nobody here go to school eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

It probably was an icequake.

It was clearly Cthulhu being woken from his slumber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

The stories of and surrounding Padre Pio are persistant and (some) are compelling.

There was a guy on with Miriam (John Murray show RTE1) yesterday talking about it. Two ladies also, who recounted stories of "miraculous" healings due to Padre Pio's intercession.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-john-murray-show/programmes/2013/0910/473325-the-john-murray-show-tuesday-10-september-2013/?clipid=1307362

Like all these tales - believe what you want. But I find these stories interesting. At the very least (and I believe there's more to it than this) his is an incredible story of celebrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It was clearly Cthulhu being woken from his slumber

No, it was me farting in the sea at Enniscrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I've seen lots of stuff on the Baghdad Battery people measuring Voltage and then making all sorts of claims. So far I haven't seen anyone get more than ~4mA current out of one so completely useless for electroplating or any other electro-mechanical usage. You'd get 1,000 times as much power out of a USB port.

Pretty sure they didnt have USB ports back then ;)

Not sure of the correct name but I think it could have been used to that shock therapy for pain relief. Acupuncture with shocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Some great reading in here, i have nothing to add though except maybe anyone see the film "fire in the sky" that was very strange;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

No, it was me farting in the sea at Enniscrone.

And here was me thinking that they had installed a Jacuzzi. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Some great reading in here, i have nothing to add though except maybe anyone see the film "fire in the sky" that was very strange;)

What's it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hootanany wrote:
    What's it about?

Guess!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Pretty sure they didnt have USB ports back then ;)

Not sure of the correct name but I think it could have been used to that shock therapy for pain relief. Acupuncture with shocks?
    people in those days were more used to pain than we are so would only be for dibilating stuff

for most shock therapies you are talking about dozens of batteries in series to get the voltage and then you need dozens of the setups to get the current too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭omega man

Sorry in advance if this has been done already......

Always liked this picture and the whole "time traveller" myth even though its been proved as nothing out of the ordinary.

http://forgetomori.com/2010/fortean/time-traveler-caught-in-museum-photo/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Did anyone see the cover of today's Telegraph?

(to pre-empt any AH style replies, its nothing to do with free dog treats, a brilliant sports pullout, free garden tools or Blair's Downton wedding ;) )

Re: Princess Diana's death

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/BUJvA3ICcAAMc-X.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

The zodiac killer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Epic thread, I'm reading through it now.

Here's some of my own favourites (some of them already mentioned):

Glen Miller dissappearance

Bermuda Triangle / Vile Vortices

The Babushka Lady

D.B. Cooper

Who was Casper Hauser?

The Judica-Cordiglia brothers, who claim to have intercepted transmissions from distressed cosmonauts who died in failed space missions, which the Soviets covered up.

In fact, there's a whole wikipedia page dedicated to alleged Lost Cosmonauts on missions predating Yuri Gagarin's mission, including Vladimir Ilyushin, who it is alleged, was the first person to achieve sub ortial flight, but he landed in China, and was detained for a year by the Chinese.

Numbers Stations - including UVB-76 (the buzzer)

One such station is the Russian Woodpecker

What is HAARP? Is it an earthquake weapon / weather control device?

The Aum Shirinkyo cult, who seem to have been involved in a mysterious explosion in the Australian outback in 1993 - was it a nuke, meteor, or an earthquake generating weapon?

Tunguska Explosion

The Philadelphia Experiment

Nikola Tesla, and the technology he developed. He once boasted that he could bring down an entire fleet of enemy aircraft using a shield of some kind - he also claimed to have developed a death ray. There's speculation that an expirement he did went wrong, and the alleged death ray bounced off the ionosphere, and caused the Tunguska Explosion.

Men in Black - odd individuals who visit witnesses to UFOs/paranormal event to intimidate them

The Vela Incident

Why haven't we encountered aliens yet? Is it because our solar system is enclosed in a Dyson Sphere / Matrioshka Brain, and the observable universe beyond our solar system is actually a complex simulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

Epic thread, I'm reading through it now.

Here's some of my own favourites (some of them already mentioned):

Glen Miller dissappearance

Bermuda Triangle / Vile Vortices

The Babushka Lady

D.B. Cooper

Who was Casper Hauser?

The Judica-Cordiglia brothers, who claim to have intercepted transmissions from distressed cosmonauts who died in failed space missions, which the Soviets covered up.

In fact, there's a whole wikipedia page dedicated to alleged Lost Cosmonauts on missions predating Yuri Gagarin's mission, including Vladimir Ilyushin, who it is alleged, was the first person to achieve sub ortial flight, but he landed in China, and was detained for a year by the Chinese.

Numbers Stations - including UVB-76 (the buzzer)

One such station is the Russian Woodpecker

What is HAARP? Is it an earthquake weapon / weather control device?

The Aum Shirinkyo cult, who seem to have been involved in a mysterious explosion in the Australian outback in 1993 - was it a nuke, meteor, or an earthquake generating weapon?

Tunguska Explosion

The Philadelphia Experiment

Nikola Tesla, and the technology he developed. He once boasted that he could bring down an entire fleet of enemy aircraft using a shield of some kind - he also claimed to have developed a death ray. There's speculation that an expirement he did went wrong, and the alleged death ray bounced off the ionosphere, and caused the Tunguska Explosion.

Men in Black - odd individuals who visit witnesses to UFOs/paranormal event to intimidate them

The Vela Incident

Why haven't we encountered aliens yet? Is it because our solar system is enclosed in a Dyson Sphere / Matrioshka Brain, and the observable universe beyond our solar system is actually a complex simulation?

Of that list, the numbers stations is my favourite. If you ever listen to the
    "Chimes" station you'll never forget it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry but the Bermuda Triangle is so obviously just an urban legend or whatever the marine equivalent is:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions_p2.html

What a fantastic/mind melting read that whole page is.

Its lead me to this page which is just as interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_reality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I love Number Stations, because they just sound so uncanny.

Brings me back to when I was a kid, in a weird way. I grew up sharing a room with my older sister, but she started going to a boarding school. Suddenly, the room seemed very big, and very empty, and a little scary in the dark. I used to leave the radio on all night as a comfort, but back then, all kinds of strange noises and foreign languages would start coming through late at night and it only creeped me out more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

One of my favourite recent mysteries is the "Cicada" or "Cicada 3301".

A message in the form of a photo appeared on 4chan, saying they were seeking intelligent individuals for their organisation and that there was a clue hidden in the photo.

Internet users became intrigued and followed a series of increasingly elaborate technical challenges, which took them to the darkest corners of the internet.

People started thinking it was a recruitment test by the NSA. It became apparent, given the simultaneous appearance of cicada posters in multiple different countries, that this couldn't be one lone genius bored at his computer. It was a highly organised, well-funded group.

That's when people started getting edgy, thinking it was some kind of criminal organisation or a cult (some of the questions sent to finalists were a little odd).

Here's a wiki of the events that unfolded and a great Mentalfloss article about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Two more that sprung to mind (more probable hoaxes than actual mysteries):

In 1989, two scientists from the University of Utah claim to have achieved nuclear fusion at room temperature (cold fusion). Their claims were later called into question, and although they have been unable to replicate their experiment, they still stand by their claims to this day.

Bob Lazar claims to have worked at Area 51 and to have worked with and reverse engineered alien technology there. However, his qualifications and credentials have been called into question, and no-one in the scientific community recalls having met him before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst

Donald Crowhurst - not so much unexplained, but still a tragic and haunting story.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    One of my favourite recent mysteries is the "Cicada" or "Cicada 3301".

A message in the form of a photo appeared on 4chan, saying they were seeking intelligent individuals for their organisation and that there was a clue hidden in the photo.

Internet users became intrigued and followed a series of increasingly elaborate technical challenges, which took them to the darkest corners of the internet.

People started thinking it was a recruitment test by the NSA. It became apparent, given the simultaneous appearance of cicada posters in multiple different countries, that this couldn't be one lone genius bored at his computer. It was a highly organised, well-funded group.

That's when people started getting edgy, thinking it was some kind of criminal organisation or a cult (some of the questions sent to finalists were a little odd).

Here's a wiki of the events that unfolded and a great Mentalfloss article about it.

Isn't this essentially how Stargate Universe started?

Uk villagers say they are mystified by the appearance of a red letterbox in the middle of a bridge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-24028902

Although Uri Geller is mentioned in that article so maybe its not a mystery after all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Really enjoyable thread. (Until the 9/11 tit for tat took over)
    My favorite mysteries have been covered earlier in the tread, so here's a little doozey from reddit..

Circleville is a small city in Ohio that has a population of over 13,000. Its biggest event is the annual Circleville Pumpkin Show. It is also the home of a mysterious letter writer known as the Circleville Letter Writer. Starting in 1976 residents of Circleville began receiving mysterious, vindictive letters. Thousands of letters, written in block letters were sent to city officials and even normal citizens. One recipient of the letters was school bus driver Mary Gillespie. She received letters accusing her of having an extra-martial affair with a school official. On August 19, 1977 Mary’s husband Ron Gillispie received a phone call seeming to indicate the identity of the writer. He left his house with his gun to confront the writer. He was found dead a short distance from his house. His car was driven off the road and his gun had been fired once. He died as a result of the crash and it is unknown why he fired the gun. It is unclear if it was an accident or murder. Later, while driving her bus, Mary saw signs along her route harassing her. She went to take one down and discovered a booby-trap meant to fire a gun at her. The gun belonged to her former brother-in-law Paul Freshour. Freshour was convicted of attempted murder and was thought to be the Circleville writer. However, while incarcerated the letters continued despite him being in solitary confinement without access to letter writing material and his mail being monitored. He was denied parole because of the letters and received one himself after his parole was denied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Uk villagers say they are mystified by the appearance of a red letterbox in the middle of a bridge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-24028902

Although Uri Geller is mentioned in that article so maybe its not a mystery after all ;)

A letter box on a bridge. It's such a very British prank.

Advertisement