Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Early bud burst

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I'm seriously intrigued by these poplar floral structures......

IMG_0990-001.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Oldtree wrote: »
    And how do you put pics into a post (cant figure that out either)?
    If you don't want to use an image hosting website, you can make your photos visible in your post (rather than them just being links) by doing this -

Upload the image via the manage attachments dialogue.
    Click the link for the uploaded image.
    The image will open in a separate window. This window will have its own URL.
    In the post where you want to show the picture, click the yellow icon with the mountains.
    This will ask you to enter the URL for the image.
    Paste the URL from the window with the image into the dialogue box.

Sounds a bit longwinded, but it's straightforward enough.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    1150334_b.jpg

I though he knew how to do it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I do now ;);)

199264.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Holy moly, you choose poo as your first image :D

• Advertisement

I do now ;);)

199264.jpg

All your own work? :D

Goat spoor..... I do believe on wild strawberries ;)

Holy holly bill :D

noticed holly budbursting today

200704.jpg

Still waiting for most of the holly...........cold weather has really put a stop to Spring's gallop :p

yes there has been a serious slowdown, but I had thought it is more related to decrease in light rather than decrease in warmth. ;)

• Advertisement

I had thought it is more related to decrease in light rather than decrease in warmth. ;)

Seems unlikely :)

A week ago these naturally regenerated ash were in leaf. Record early for ash?

IMG_1178-001.jpg

Bill, links have been known and shown between budburst and light periods as well as temp:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k81g517666550562/

The ecological significance of phenology in four different tree species: effects of light and temperature on bud burst
    Amelia Caffarra & Alison Donnelly Department of Botany, School of Natural Sciences, Trinity College Dublin

this is the summary here to give a flavor:

Summary

The aim of this study was to compare budburst responses of different tree species under different environmental conditions, and to consider their ecological significance. Our results suggest that phenology is regulated by a complex interplay of factors whose effects are related to the life strategy and distribution of each species. In addition, environmental cues can have different effects in different species, depending on their interaction and duration. Dominant, long-lived species such as T. cordata and F. sylvatica showed lower rates of budburst (longer times to budburst), high chilling requirements and responsiveness to light intensity, while opportunistic, pioneer species such as B. pubescens and S. x smithiana had high rates of budburst (shorter times to budburst), low chilling requirements and were not affected by light intensity. In addition, budburst in B. pubescens and S. x smithiana was more responsive to high forcing temperatures than in T. cordata and F. sylvatica. It appeared evident that while in all species studied dormancy release was controlled by both photoperiod and chilling, the degree to which the two triggers contributed to the progress of dormancy varied among species. In particular, while in F. sylvatica and T. cordata short photoperiod was used as a signal to prevent growth until a moderate-large chilling exposure had been fulfilled, in B. pubescens short photoperiod did not prevent growth even after 30–40 days of chilling. On the other hand, in S. x smithiana the effect of photoperiod was more limited. These results suggest that the timing of growth onset in B. pubescens and S. x smithiana was regulated through a less conservative mechanism than in T. cordata and F. sylvatica, and that these species trade a higher risk of frost damage for the opportunity of vigorous growth at the beginning of spring, when more light is available. Nonetheless, the use of one-node cuttings and newly rooted cuttings (B. pubescens and T. cordata) as opposed to whole trees suggests that these results should be interpreted with caution. Whereas rooted cuttings and trees grown from seeds show a similar phenology and growth rate in a number of tree species (Ritchie et al. 1992; Sasse and Sands 1996; Jurásek 2007), one-node cuttings might show shorter times to budburst compared to whole trees due to the lack of correlative inhibition (Chao et al. 2007). In addition, as these experiments used one specific tree clone for each species, intra-specific variability in phenology was not considered, so the present findings need further validation before they can be generalised. Thus, more studies evaluating different species and genotypes are needed. A more precise picture of the evolutionary drivers of phenology is important to assess potential responses of vegetation to climate change.

The above link dosnt work today dont know why. The above article was from:

Journal Title: International Journal of Biometeorology
    Volume: 55 Issue: 5
    Sept 2011

Ash before the oak we are in for a soak!!!

And it looks as if the oak and beech are thinking of joining us in the next day or two.

Beech and oak busting out simultaneously here! Lower branches fully flushed; higher up, starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ettellig

Fagus out a week since , Acer rubrum bursting, Aesculus a week back, oaks this week, Red oak last week, P.trichocarpa 10 days, Nothofagus 2 weeks and the wollemi pine flushed 3 weeks back. Coast redwood and Sequoiadendron about 10 days, hazel this past week, Norway maples a month back, Nobilis and Nordmann flushing, Sitka today...and the bluebells getting there.

bluebells flowering here a week since. Interesting to note that some english bluebells I have in a pot (could not fit all of them back in the hole when planting up an oak woodland in england) came out at the same time as the irish ones.

Have no bluebells...ground completely covered in ivy.

Just for you big bill:

202518.jpg

and:

202519.jpg

and thats not the half of it. I took lots of photos this am of whats flowering on my woodland floor to show you, but half of the photos didnt look right on the pc so as the man says "i'll be back!!!" :D

You got ferns too! Apart from ivy, primroses and "lords'n'ladies" and bits here and there (elder too developing around the edges) - the ivy cover pretty much allows only trees to develop under the canopy.

Ash and holly mostly, the odd sycamore. Massive sycamore regeneration in any open area with disturbed soil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement