Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Comments

jor el wrote: »
    There isn't really. Switching off the modem for a long time might get you a new IP, but I've seen reports from people that left their modem off for over 24 hours and still got the same IP. Luck of the draw really.

There's times I've left my UPC modem off for a week or more when going away, and still got the same IP when I powered it back on. Had the same IP for over a year at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Thanks Jor el.

The device is a vodafone sure signal. Iv since found out that vodafone did not have the range of the new IP i was assigned by UPC in their sytem so the sure signal would not connect to it. Normal UPC IPs are 109.xxx.xxx.xx but this was 46.x.xx.xx. They are resolving this now.

What i meant by 2 different IPs they were both external ones. Obviously the router has its gateway IPs in my home but i meant the following. If for example i check my IP on a website it was 109.xxx.xxx.xx while connected directly yo the modem with a cable (bypassing router) then 46.x.xx.xx when connected wireless through router.

The conflict was the above mentioned range.

I found a way of getting a new IP from my ISP by simply checking the box for using the routers mac address. Once i did that my router went back to having a 109.xxx.xxx.xx IP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    After having so much trouble with that damn UPC wireless router I rang up UPC and told them that I was unhappy with the device.
    They asked why and i proceeded to tell them about pretty much every complaint on here.
    I asked for it to be exchanged for their standard scientific Atlanta modem only.
    Got it yesterday and set up my wireless network with my old reliable linksys router.
    Everything is running perfect now with no problems. I'd advise anyone having issues to just ring up to complain and ask for an exchange of equipment to the modem only.

Good to know, thanks BanjoB. I'll be contacting UPC well armed with this info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

To settle an argument!.

From someone who never previously had an ntl/upc connection what is the wiring requirements inolved for a tv,broadband&telephone multiroom deal(to be installed soon?).

Is there any wire from tv to pc or room to room?.

Or drilling from the outside of the house?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

they will do all of the installations.

a cable is required for each individual digibox and broadband., they will bring in one point to the house (usually up high somewhere) and split the cable for each room required.

think it works out at 100 per point.

• Advertisement

they will do all of the installations.

a cable is required for each individual digibox and broadband., they will bring in one point to the house (usually up high somewhere) and split the cable for each room required.

think it works out at 100 per point.

Thanks. Im getting free installation/activation and the €50 voucher under the boards upc offer but just wondered what actual cableing is involved. Like when they split the cable will they have to run it along the skirting board etc.

I just thought they needed to put an electrical power point behind each tv& where the modem will be. And the tv points get channels from their fibre optic cable somehow. Didnt think that tv cableing needed to go from room to room?.

So depending on how many tv points you need it will work like this:

UPC will bring the main co-axial cable into the house somewhere and split it for every TV point you require.

I don't think they will do an overly neat job as you said, they will run it along skirting boards and up/down walls.

The broadband modem will need one coax point, the phone plugs into the modem. They both will require a power socket

each TV digibox required a coax point and power socket.

the digiboxes will need to be plugged into your tv either by HDMI or Scart depending on what type of tv option you requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

these cisco boxes and their acute Alzheimer's has driven me to going back to specifying static IP addresses

/sigh

Any ideas/suggestions on this.
    Got UPC bundle on saturday and the original modem password initially worked to connect to laptop, iphone etc.
    Last nite I tried to change the password but failed 'current password incorrect'?.
    Then tried to connect a new device but got the same?.
    Any ideas why its not recognising the password?.

SSID or the router admin password (used to change modem settings etc) ?

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    SSID or the router admin password (used to change modem settings etc) ?

its the SSID i tried

Im unaware of router admin password or how to find this?.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

When the box pops up asking for password, press cancel. If, like with me, it leaves you on a change password page, then just hit F5 until you're shown all the advanced settings :)

Telchak wrote: »
    When the box pops up asking for password, press cancel. If, like with me, it leaves you on a change password page, then just hit F5 until you're shown all the advanced settings :)

Yeah thats the page it leaves me on.
    The one where you have to put your password then your new password twice!

Thanks i will try that when i get home. Even forgetting changing password for a minute it still seems strange why its not recognising password when i try to connect a new device.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Hi Has anyone bridged the cisco router and used the netgear one instead?
    Ever since I did this my browser download speeds are very very low but my torrents are great? Any one any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I couldn't figure out bridging so I put the Netgear into dmz on the cisco router. I am using dd-wrt custom firmware on mine. Did have an issue with slow speeds but reset to factory settings sorted it out.

So you have the wndr3700? do you have the phone aswell.
    how do you put it into dmz mode?

gramo wrote: »
    So you have the wndr3700? do you have the phone aswell.
    how do you put it into dmz mode?
    I do. No phone though.
    Leave the cisco router as normal(dhcp on). Set the netgear to a static ip in the cisco range. There is an option in the cisco for dmz host where you put the netgear ip. I do this because I use port fordwarding a lot.If you just want basic internet the dmz probably isn't need.

good post from UPC 100mb thread. same steps (replace thompson with cisco)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

cool I have it bridged and it resolved all the problems I have been having.
    Do you find that your getting full speed?

Yes getting full speeds.
    Where are the bridging options for the cisco?
    I'm moving to 100mb on saturday anyway. New router to get working right. :(

lol I accessed it through 192.168.100.1 the only option you have is turn bridging on or off.
    I'll give this a shot tonight and see how I get on.. 100m line sounds good but I dont know if I really need the headache. my 30meg line was never that reliable and IT WAS A KICK IN THE TEETH spending the money on the netgear just to try get the service I was sold in the first place..

• Advertisement

lol I accessed it through 192.168.100.1 the only option you have is turn bridging on or off.
    I'll give this a shot tonight and see how I get on.. 100m line sounds good but I dont know if I really need the headache. my 30meg line was never that reliable and IT WAS A KICK IN THE TEETH spending the money on the netgear just to try get the service I was sold in the first place..
    That ip only gives me the regular cisco control panel.

I got my netgear for 80 on ibood.ie :D but I had ordered a TP-link router the day before. So now I've 2 new routers :) DD-wrt is good on them, lets you monitor bandwidth usage for the month with each day shown separately.

Im just looking at ibood.ie Have you bought much there? Is it a good site?

Im just looking at ibood.ie Have you bought much there? Is it a good site?
    Just the netgear. They charge delivery unlike gruppy.com
    Both do daily deals. Got good bit of stuff from gruupy but ibood have some good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

how do i get my router page ?? :confused:

click this link:

http://192.168.1.1

click this link:

http://192.168.1.1

and what is my username and password ?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

and what is my username and password ?:confused::confused:

This is all written in the first post of this thread man....

i have read it but i'm having trouble :(

i have read it but i'm having trouble :(

leave both blank first attempt, and it should* prompt you for a new password

*your mileage may vary..

• Advertisement

it asks for:
    Current Password New Password Re-Enter New Password

Advertisement