Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea/pier fishing for a beginner

• 09-09-2010 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

I am a bit clueless when it comes to fishing, but since i live beside the sea/pier i would like to get some suitable gear. Just wondering if anyone could make some suggestions, from the type/length/strength of rod, the type of line and the type of lure. Something basic/cheap ;)

Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

JJayoo wrote: »
    I am a bit clueless when it comes to fishing, but since i live beside the sea/pier i would like to get some suitable gear. Just wondering if anyone could make some suggestions, from the type/length/strength of rod, the type of line and the type of lure. Something basic/cheap ;)

Thanks for any feedback

shimano 6000 BaitRunner- you can get them for about 70 - 150 euro depending on the year they were made and do they have one or two handles etc and does it have a spare spool

10 lb mono - 300 yards - good quality - small diamiter

ten foot Diawa four piece or something better if you have the money (a rod that casts 10-40 grams - it would be written near the handle)... i use a 12.5 foot rod made by GuideLine...casts 7-34grams 6piece , best rod iv ever had for spinning...

use a kilty lure ... they come in 32 or 28 gram ... and different colours on the back... ( best colour is - take off the flash sticker... it fishes better for bass all plain silver... use a red one for makerel and polok etc......

iv never been into fishing with feathers and lead weights but im sure alot of people will put you onto that gear... but to be honest it is to much work with a heavy rod and weight and riefing in 6 fish a a time where all the fish fight agains each other and not you, on a stiff rod is not fun for me...
    and you get bugger all bass...

you can even bottom fish with the light kit i mentioned above...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I picked up a cheap rod in lidl, sold as a 'general rod' the other day. Has 10lb line & reel on it too.

Is nothing special but at €22 you can use it to find out if you like fishing or not.

Buy a big weight like this:
    lead-fishing-weights-toxic-200X200.jpg

A swivel like this:
    snap-swivel.jpg

and feathers like this
    13664630.jpg

Go to the pier about 2hrs before high tide and ask someone how to put it all together. Don't be shy, most people will help. You may need to do this a few times...

Watch what everyone else does, & read this guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

That setup is good for the Mackerel season, but since that will be gone soon you could be spinning for hours without catching anything.

You can always try something like this,

http://www.torbayfishing.com/rigs/float-fishing.htm

Setup a float rig, instead of attaching the feathers to your line, attach a float and let it dangle out there. You can vary the depth of you hooks using the stop-knot. Get some bait, mackerel cuts, or dig up some ragworm/lugworm. See if you can find out some local info on your pier, what species are available and then you can set your bait accordingly.

Good advice below aswell to buy a reasonable priced rod/reel to see if you like it before investing a lot of money. Most tackle/fishing shops would have something ok for 30-40euro.

Good thread here aswell from a few years back, with different info on bait, line setup etc etc
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329253

Advertisement