Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fishing wets

Options
  • 03-09-2010 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

I want to ask whats the easiest and most effective way of using a team of three wets. I have an idea in my mind but I don't want to waste my time with it realising later it was pointless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

My way on my local loughs was very straight forward. Nine or ten foot leader, three flies (went down to two until my casting improved, then back to three) spaced fairly evenly apart.
    As a rule I fish the bushiest flies on the top dropper and the slimmest on the point.
    My top dropper flies would be something like: Kate McLaren, Golden Olive Bumble, Claret Bumble and Green Peter (a bit of gink to make it float in a wave can be useful). The bibio is popular but never worked for me.
    Middle dropper you could use some of the ones mentioned above but go for something a bit slimmer like the butcher series, malard & claret, sooty olive, Rogans Extractor etc
    On the point I'd fish a buzzer or size 14 hares ear nymph.

If you can cast nine or ten yards thats ok; try not to get worked up over distance, close to the shore can be very good. As far as retrieving goes I just do a slow steddy figure of eight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Three lightly dressed flies, off droppers, very like the above post.

Suggestions: black pennell, black & silver, black & peacock spider, pheasant tail nymph, diawl bach on small hooks like 14-18.

The heavier the tail (point) fly, the fewer tangles you will get.
    That could mean using a beadhead, or better still a pattern with lead under the body, or failing that a wool bodied pattern which will absorb water and become heavier while aerialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

things change in september...this month try muddler minnow (top dropper), claret dabbler, silver dabbler, claret bumble and red arsed green peter....fished in a good wave....dont forget daphina feeding fish...for them golden olive bumble and other bright flies....on dull days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Thanks. How far apart should each fly be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

about four feet or so

• Advertisement
Advertisement