Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Defrag = Memory Loss?

Options
  • 04-10-2008 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I started a long overdue disk defragmentation the other night and noticed my hard drive space disappearing. It went from 109GB of free space down to 89 before I stopped the defrag.
    I assume this wasn't supposed to happen?
    Would it have sorted itself out if I hadn't cancelled the process?
    It was defragmenting for hours and the memory hasn't returned since.
    Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubfir

At a guess I would say it system restore taking up the space as it probably did a backup before defrag. Try turning system restore off and on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,638 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

or it reserved that as swapspace to put fagments before reconstituting and moving them somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

in my experiece it would go back up, it should be just space that is used while organising the files. An example would be the defrag that comes with xp, you need 12% (i think) to defrag properly with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

So, I allowed the defrag to complete and another 10 gigs disappeared, but hasn't returned.
    Is it possible that the system automatically backed up everything? Could that be deleted safely, and where would it be stored? (I'm using Vista.)
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

So, I allowed the defrag to complete and another 10 gigs disappeared, but hasn't returned.
    Is it possible that the system automatically backed up everything? Could that be deleted safely, and where would it be stored? (I'm using Vista.)
    Thanks!

look around starting on the root of the drive ( c:/) and view the properties to see where the space could now be in use > do this until you find the folder and then go in and try to get a specific one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

TreeSize may help.

Advertisement