Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books about the Vietnam War

• 30-05-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Can anyone recommend any good books re the Vietnam War

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

The Last Battle (author escapes me) is an excellent book on Dien Bien Phu, the epic French defeat by the Viet Cong, that triggered the French departure and the subsequent involvement of the USA. Well worth a read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand it was called Vietnam, the 10,000 day war. Not sure of the author's name, but it was an excellent read giving from WWII to the Fall of Saigon and AFAIR there was a TV series accompanying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd recommend......

A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam by Neil Sheehan

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

The Tunnels of Cu Chi by Tom Mangold

A Rumour of War by Phillip Caputo

We were soldiers once.......and young by Harold Moore - (much, much better than the film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

brownian wrote: »
    The Last Battle (author escapes me) is an excellent book on Dien Bien Phu, the epic French defeat by the Viet Cong, that triggered the French departure and the subsequent involvement of the USA. Well worth a read.

I think you mean 'The last Valley' ? Martin Windrow. The film 'Dien Bien Phu' by the IndoChine Vet Pierre Schoendoerffer also is quite good. Not sure if there is an English version.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

The aforementioned 'The Tunnels of Cu Chi' is an excellent book. Anything by Stanley Karnow would be a good bet too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason is one I'd recommend. Brilliant read.

Bernard B. Fall's 'Street Without Joy: The French Debacle in Indochina' deals with the French defeat in 1954. One thing I found fascinating was the mistakes made by the French were often repeated by America just over a decade later, a bad failure of an occupying power to learn from past mistakes.

I read a first hand account called 'The Cage'. years ago, think the authour is Tim Abraham? Spent time in captivity.
    'We Were Soldiers' by Hal Moore is another

Advertisement