Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charity Workers At The Checkout???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

danjo-xx wrote: »

I love the charity collectors at the main door who say 'please support xxxx and as you walk by they say THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Who! are they to judge Me, I could be dying of cancer for all they know.:mad:

I would answer that with a sarcastic 'you are welcome'. Seriously, I would. I really object to that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I hate bag packers in shops, especially the chugger type. I don't want people staring at my shopping and judging, or as has been mentioned previously, mis-packing things and damaging my purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I hate bag packers.........big pet hate.

Anyways, another thing that annoys me is schools collecting at the tills for no particular reason. Its always vague where this money goes i.e. what exactly in the school is this money used for? Usually its to subsidise things like swimming lessons or buses to places but the question must then be asked: shouldn't parents fund these themselves?? Also GAA clubs from every parish around the town are collecting?? And lastly as one poster said, fundraising for the kids holidays (sorry-helping other kids in a certain country......). I am actually struggling to remember bag packing that was for a charity and not the above......

Now lets get started on church gate collections.................

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I would answer that with a sarcastic 'you are welcome'. Seriously, I would. I really object to that kind of thing.

Remember that some of these are on commission hence the aggression....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Because they exploit the Irish tendency to "look good" in front of their neighbours by giving donations to a charity on impulse.

I refuse them point blank and go on my way with my purchases.

I have come across the sarcastic comments as well and make a reply along the lines of I have no spare money and do not give to charities on impulse.

Since the Rehab scandal I have sought out the details of the two charites I do subscribe to with the intention of dropping them if inflated costs or salaries were found. I would urge everyone to do the same.

The Irish as a nation need to boycott such collections until they disappear through lack of response.

I also hate charity muggers of the street and have complained to the Gardai about them on occasions where they trap you at store entrances or traffic light crossings, where it is illegal or impossible to walk anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

homer911 wrote: »
    Its hardly a case of Lidl and Aldi banning such practices - their business model does not support packing of goods at the checkout

But I've seen little changes lately in both stores.
    Lidl have been collecting for a charity in their stores recently, a bucket at the till & the politely ask if you wish to chuck anything in, no offer of bag packing though.
    My local aldi had a guy sitting inside at a table recently, by the exit as people passed with a bucket collecting for cancer
    It might not be a stretch to see bagpackers coming in eventually eso as their market share increases

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I am old enough to remember when superquinn offered staff that was doing the packing for you, I liked that, it was one of the reasons to shop there (as I hate shopping for food), but with the decline of superquinn that became a thing of the past.

The last couple of times when I went to a supermarket they had these charity things going on but to be honest I would not trust youngsters to be able to pack a shopping in a good way without destroying my goods. So if the packers are of the older generation than I am happy because they know what to do and I'm happy to give them an amount corresponding to the effort they put in. Yes it's reverse ageism but a 16 year old in track suit scratching his nose is not going to get near to my shopping.

Now if they would issue receipts so that I can tell the tax man about it, I would even give more, better charity than revenue.

Now if they would issue receipts so that I can tell the tax man about it, I would even give more, better charity than revenue.

you will find that a lot of the causes e.g. schools and clubs will happily furnish an account of the money made on the day and likewise where and what it was spent on. Don't think revenue will have any issues with that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Afaik with Dunnes stores all bag packers are brought in store for an intensive training day before they are unleashed on the public and all must be at least 14 or 16 years old although a 10 year old would probably pack better than some gormless teenager:D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik with Dunnes stores all bag packers are brought in store for an intensive training day before they are unleashed on the public

They most certainly do not. I have grand nieces who do bag packing for the Red Cross in Dunne's and they just turn up on the day - never trained!

I hate bag packers at the checkout myself.

my sentiment exactly coupled with the fact that its camogie one day, youth hurling next day, football another day.....aren't they all the same?? Nice big clubhouses to pay for I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Are bag packers specifically trained to put the eggs at the bottom? :-)
    I usually say grand but wait until I've paid the cashier so I can give you a few pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I must be very lucky with my local Tesco. They very rarely have bag packers and when they do it's on Saturday when I would never be doing a big shop.

bee06 wrote: »
    I must be very lucky with my local Tesco. They very rarely have bag packers and when they do it's on Saturday when I would never be doing a big shop.

I have to agree. Our Dunne's is a very large store but I always shop on a Friday and in fairness they only had bag packers twice last year - I usually finish shopping by 10.30 so maybe they haven't started by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I usually just say 'no thanks, I don't have that much to pack' and depending on the cause, I might give a bit of change. Most of the time they'll step back but I have had to ask them to move once or twice so I can put the trolley at the end - otherwise my 3 year old will be grabbing at everything within reach.

I'm particular enough about how I want my shopping packed, I like to spread the weight as evenly as I can and I've a certain order in which I pack the bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't mind charity packers, as long as they are proper charity for people in need.

Sometimes though I have had my bags packed by other organisations eg a judo club collecting to help fund a trip to a championship. For me that isn't an acceptable thing to have at the end of the aisle, when there are so many deserving charities out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

hdowney wrote: »
    I hate bag packers. I don't mind the collections by the door (I was one of them today for the Irish Heart Foundation). But bag packers. Pushy, greedy at times. Often not for charity but for some trip for kids (pay your own kids trips thanks, I can't even afford one for myself).

To be honest I hate the door knocking charity collectors even more that the bag packers!!!
    I find it a total invasion of privacy .......... the way they put one foot into YOUR house and sprout out their well-rehearsed spiel before you've even had a chance to say hello!!
    And if at the end of their loooong spiel you decline to donate to their charity they get snotty, refuse to take no for an answer and look at you with disdain for wasting THEIR time?!?!
    My wife is so intimidated by them that she refuses to even open the door to them unless I'm home so I can tell them to **** off ............. I have no problem being rude with them as I find the fact that they have the b***s to knock at MY door uninvited looking aggressively for money incredibly rude!!

The way I look at charity is this ........ if I believe in a good cause and I have faith in a charity collecting on behalf of this good cause then I will come to them (they're not hard to find), I don't need them to come looking for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

LynnGrace wrote: »

That's exactly what I do!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't mind charity packers, as long as they are proper charity for people in need.

Sometimes though I have had my bags packed by other organisations eg a judo club collecting to help fund a trip to a championship. For me that isn't an acceptable thing to have at the end of the aisle, when there are so many deserving charities out there.

+1 In Dunnes Cornelscourt a few years ago there was a crowd of youngsters doing packing at the checkouts to raise money for Mrs. so and so's school of Irish dancing trip to Boston - 'charity' me arse! I don't mind sports clubs doing this act but only if they are local, too often the big stores effectively accept free labour by letting clubs in that are from miles away and that really p1sses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

skelligs wrote: »
    Yes, its very annoying and one of the reasons I don;t shop in Dunnes because they seem to always have them. I don't mind every now and then.

However, if any organisers are looking here - here's a far better idea.

"We'll wheel the trolley out and place goods in your car and bring your trolley back to the trolley bay in exchange for the euro in your trolley."
    By only asking for a euro and providing a "concierge" service, you're bound to get extra donations and goodwill especially on rainy days and you don't annoy people by bad packing.

I'd feel guilty if I didn't give them something extra for it and you would also need to do the whole "small talk" thing....my shoulders would be tightened up.

euser1984 wrote: »
    I'd feel guilty if I didn't give them something extra for it and you would also need to do the whole "small talk" thing....my shoulders would be tightened up.

Agreed. I'd feel a prat walking alongside or behind somebody wheeling my trolley through the car park. Plus I have a token for the trollis and don't use coins in them anyway.
    If they want to sell flags at a door then fine. I'll give what I'll give regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I just usually say I have my own charity that I support. Might drop them a euro reluctantly though....

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

MadDog76 wrote: »
    To be honest I hate the door knocking charity collectors even more that the bag packers!!!
    I find it a total invasion of privacy .......... the way they put one foot into YOUR house and sprout out their well-rehearsed spiel before you've even had a chance to say hello!!
    And if at the end of their loooong spiel you decline to donate to their charity they get snotty, refuse to take no for an answer and look at you with disdain for wasting THEIR time?!?!
    My wife is so intimidated by them that she refuses to even open the door to them unless I'm home so I can tell them to **** off ............. I have no problem being rude with them as I find the fact that they have the b***s to knock at MY door uninvited looking aggressively for money incredibly rude!!

The way I look at charity is this ........ if I believe in a good cause and I have faith in a charity collecting on behalf of this good cause then I will come to them (they're not hard to find), I don't need them to come looking for me!!

The utility companys,phone sales people are the worst.
    I normally just open the door with NO thanks, and god help any of them that persist after that.

I had one airtricity fella who when i opened the door said you are being charged too much for your electricity just get me your bill and i can sort it out for ya.

I had to think for a second as i wasnt sure if he was trying to flog a switch or there had been some form of over charging, and the way he worded it i would imagine a lot (especially older people) may have just gotten him the bill.

When i copped it i looked at him with amazement at the NECK on this A hole.

Said no you're not getting my bill, he said so you dont want to save money, yeah thats right i dont, off he went puzzled , it was the way he almost walked into my house demanding my bill (right arrogant little chit) that really got my back up.

Fast forward 2 months, knock at the door, opened it saw airtricity , instantly said NO thanks and was about to close the door, and this arrogant little chit stepped across (how could you not want what im selling look on his face same fella thinks his gods gift is impression i get).

He stepped across to stop me closing the door before he got his chat up lines out , the penny dropped it was the same chit from the bill incident, well i lost it.

YOU , i told YOU two months ago im not interested, im f---in sick of ye every few months at the door , if i see you at my door again ill thump ya down the drive, take this house off your list.

Have to say i havent seen that shower since , i must get a sign for the door

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

I dont mind them atal.. as long as its a good cause.. but I'd still pack my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

The only charity thing I don't mind is the old ladies sitting in a corner somewhere (probably talking to one of their friends) collecting for something or other. Bag packers, chuggers,door to door and those guys that set up stalls outside doors of shops/post offices and get in your face about it can f right off.

masonchat wrote: »
    The utility companys,phone sales people are the worst.
    I normally just open the door with NO thanks, and god help any of them that persist after that.

I had one airtricity fella who when i opened the door said you are being charged too much for your electricity just get me your bill and i can sort it out for ya.

I had to think for a second as i wasnt sure if he was trying to flog a switch or there had been some form of over charging, and the way he worded it i would imagine a lot (especially older people) may have just gotten him the bill.

When i copped it i looked at him with amazement at the NECK on this A hole.

Said no you're not getting my bill, he said so you dont want to save money, yeah thats right i dont, off he went puzzled , it was the way he almost walked into my house demanding my bill (right arrogant little chit) that really got my back up.

Fast forward 2 months, knock at the door, opened it saw airtricity , instantly said NO thanks and was about to close the door, and this arrogant little chit stepped across (how could you not want what im selling look on his face same fella thinks his gods gift is impression i get).

He stepped across to stop me closing the door before he got his chat up lines out , the penny dropped it was the same chit from the bill incident, well i lost it.

YOU , i told YOU two months ago im not interested, im f---in sick of ye every few months at the door , if i see you at my door again ill thump ya down the drive, take this house off your list.

Have to say i havent seen that shower since , i must get a sign for the door

That's it so. I'm never letting Airtricity pack my shopping bags again. They don't sound very charitable at all. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have Airtricity not stopped door to door selling entirely (not that it has any relevance to this thread) or was that just their parent firm in the UK?

• Advertisement

Advertisement