Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

noiniho wrote: »
    Maybe the amount of abuse that was going around from some supporters when Eoin came on against Cork was a factor, but i dont know

nah anyone who knows the mcgraths knows they are bigger than that. There was no hidden agenda as far as Im aware he just found it hard having been a player for so long that the same buzz wasnt there from being on the sideline. I think he felt he needed to give something back to his club for a a while aswell and is just going take a step back from the intercounty scene for a couple years. I think we'll definetly see him involved again at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What's the general feeling for keeping Michael Ryan on ?

I was thinking with the finances it's a foregone conclusion and i think he has made a team out of Waterford as opposed to a group of talented hurlers.

would fancy him having one hell of a deep bench in 2 years and we wont be so reliant on 1-2 players playing well for scores.

Shouldnt even be up for debate really imo, he has done an excellent job gotten good results and developed a good team in whats been a tough time of transition.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Will a decision be made soon? They are absolute clowns if they go and appoint another manager, need stability over the next few years rather than bringing in a new man and the players having to prove themselves again

The general consensus is that he will be offered another term and you cant but say that hes earned it. I think hes come on leaps and bounds as a coach and a manager in the past 2 years as you have to admit he looked pretty clueless when he came in first.

I think its a reflection of where were at given we havent been out of the championship this early since in over 10 years however its probably the most optimistic people have been in a long while. We were getting to AI semi finals under Davy Fitz yet the consensus was that we were going nowhere. Unlike Davy Fitz I think skully has the interests of Waterford hurling at heart and is interested in the future of Waterford and seeing our young hurlers developing

Unless there was someone glaringly obvious that could come in and do better I dont see any change next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Shouldn't even be up for debate, deserves at least another term and possibly more if we continue our progress next year.

Met him for the first time after the minor match against Cork and would add that he was a pleasure to talk to. His passion for Waterford GAA was very obvious even from a brief conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Not sure if this is official, but I've been told this is the team for tonight V Waterford.

Ronan Taafe
    Paul Flanagan
    David mcInerney
    Jack Browne
    Seadna Morey
    Alan O Neill
    Stephen O halloran
    Colm Galvin
    Tony Kelly
    Peter Duggan
    Podge Collins
    Arron Cunningham
    Cathal O Connell
    Daire Keane
    Shane O Donnell

The main losses from last year's team being the creativity and finishing ability of Conor McGrath and Cathal MacInerney and the physical presence of CConor Ryan and Shane Golden.

The matchup between Podge Collins and Darragh Fives will be interesting, both had a long evening Saturday.
    3 good goalscorers in the inside line, both wing forwards able to win their own ball. Happy to see Tony Kelly back in midfield also.

One worry I'd have is the amount of this team on the senior panel, they've done very little as an entire unit, I guess though that Waterford are in a similar boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Who else is there really ? From looking at Donal Og Cusacks analysis on team tactics etc on the Sunday game I think he would make a good manager.

But getting in the big name managers don't always work out well eg Donal o Grady in limerick, Ger Loughnane in Galway.

Donal O'Grady was a big sucess in Limerick and laid the foundations for what we seen last Sunday.

Loughnane maybe a big name, mostly because of he's own self promoting, but aside from ther '95-'99 Clare team what did he actually ever achieve anywhere else, he was a selector for Clare previously and he was sacked, he had an unsuccessfull spell as U21 manager and then had he's flop with Galway. A great motiovator who had an exceptional set of backs/midfielders at he's disoposal but far from a great manager.

All that aside this debate is completely unnessecary as Michael Ryan is clearly the right man for the job and anything other than him been retained would be a step backwards for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I've heard people from Down give really positive feedback about Paul Flynn. He did a good job with Carlow's U21s as well by all accounts. We could do worse than to have him involved.

Also, do we have a goalkeeping coach? I'm sure there is someone coming in doing drills, but when we have a young keeper it'd be great if we had someone experienced coming in to give him advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

hardybuck wrote: »
    I've heard people from Down give really positive feedback about Paul Flynn. He did a good job with Carlow's U21s as well by all accounts. We could do worse than to have him involved.

Also, do we have a goalkeeping coach? I'm sure there is someone coming in doing drills, but when we have a young keeper it'd be great if we had someone experienced coming in to give him advice.

Pat Moore is the goalkeeping coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I thought he was a referee, now hes a goal keeping coach, Who ever was passing on the info re who the best goalkeeper in waterford was up to when sok took over again should no longer be in that position, unless he had some personal preference for picking iggy,and why would he ?,i mean its not as if its well known he has a love for all things mount sion,and that of course is not the sions fault,but jesus Goal keeping coach, what a load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I thought he was a referee, now hes a goal keeping coach, Who ever was passing on the info re who the best goalkeeper in waterford was up to when sok took over again should no longer be in that position, unless he had some personal preference for picking iggy,and why would he ?,i mean its not as if its well known he has a love for all things mount sion,and that of course is not the sions fault,but jesus Goal keeping coach, what a load of crap.

Dry up mate, I think Pat Moore used be a goalkeeper. He refereed, and holds refereeing seminars and coaching seminars for prospective coaches i.e. he has a background in coaching. He doesn't pick who starts, thats the selectors (including the manager in that) job. He's obviously doing a decent job.

• Advertisement

lord above, who took the jam out of your doughnut?

First of all hes finished reffing with about 10 years secondly he dosent pick the goalkeeper. the manager makes the call. And SOK wasnt dropped for the Clare game because they didnt think he was the best in the county. He was dropped due to form, and he was poor in the league. Its easy be wise afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Pat Moore has been involved in coaching for years. Last team I saw him involved with was the Abbeyside Under 14 team who represented Waterford at Feile this year. A sound man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Just in case anyone is wondering, the u21 match is not being covered live on WLR, they're doing the Waterford Utd vs Man Utd instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Just in case anyone is wondering, the u21 match is not being covered live on WLR, they're doing the Waterford Utd vs Man Utd instead.

So we have to listen to the filth's radio online ?

will it be on here? http://clare.fm/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

So we have to listen to the filth's radio online ?

will it be on here? http://clare.fm/

It's on TG4.

As good an evening as I can remember in walsh park for a game. Shorts are the order of the day. Let's hope the boys can get a win

Waterford 9/4 on pp. Gonna have a bit of that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bad start. Havnt gotten going at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

big boost if kelly stays off

Kelly gone away in ambulance I believe. Not nice to see

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »

Id say a concussion from the slap he took.

Are we only playing 2 in the forward line? Seems to be nobody up there for every ball.

KevIRL wrote: »
    nope wouldn't wish it on any player

Dillon scoring for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Doing well now, keep it going before HT.

Dillon playing really well here. Took us a while to get into it but once we did its been looking a lot better. 1 pt ahead at half time, not many goal chances have a feeling first goal could be crucial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Great battling display from lads despite cleaned out in the forwards for the most part. Would still expect Clare to win but a big improvement on last year so far.

We seem to be living off frees though, if Clare can cut down on giving them away I can see us struggling for scores.

stupid foul

Christ Paudie Prende second yellow.

Paudie Mahony on tho, though he was out!

• Advertisement

Ozzie Gleeson on for Barron, up by 2 with 15mins left come on lads!

EDIT: Fcuk, missed free then Clare goal. Sickener

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement