Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

thurles on the 23rd it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Waterford Minors nearly paid the price today and are lucky to be in a replay as the last effort by Limerick went wide. They should have known how dangerous this Limerick team are as they defeated Tipp in the dying minutes of that game. The replay is going to be very dangerous as Limerick will feel they have the measure of this team. Its disapointing that they did not complete the job today, they are a very talented bunch but as with the Cork game they tend to drift in and out of the game. Great with Cork they came on strong in the second half but in the dying minutes of this game it was almost total collapse for the last five minutes. I'm sure the large Limerick support must have been intimidating so at least the next day that element wont be there although Limerick will have a big following after wining the senior game. Points went a begging again today as they tried to work in for goal when one more point would have been enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Is Thurles confirmed, hope to God it's not. Why on earth play a game that will attract a crowd if 5K tops in a 50k stadium, in addition to the fact that it is far closer for Limerick fans to travel to? Complete waste, Pairc Ui Rinn would have been an ideal venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

doz wrote: »
    Is Thurles confirmed, hope to God it's not. Why on earth play a game that will attract a crowd if 5K tops in a 50k stadium, in addition to the fact that it is far closer for Limerick fans to travel to? Complete waste, Pairc Ui Rinn would have been an ideal venue.

A curtain raiser to the senior Q finals would be ideal, but too close I guess for the loser regarding the minor Q final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Will the game be on 3 player at all I was behind the dugout and want a photo , saw this beaut today though you can see me beside Michael ryans chin :-) I was looking for Tony to shake his hand but he must ran into the tunnel so I never got to thank him :-(

770512.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

yeah I saw a number of people saying on twitter it's confirmed for thurles on the 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Listened to the minors game, jesus lads how did we manage to throw it away at all? 7 or 8 points up at one stage, I'd say the lads thought it was job done.
    Judging by the commentary, it seemed we did play well and were the better hurling team. Shane Bennett, Ozzie Gleeson, Patrick Curran, Mickey Kearney, DJ Foran and Colm Roche all seemed to do very well.

You just knew it when they got the first goal from the free on the 21 that they had us rattled and would get another chance for a goal. To be fair though, the lads must have been under serious pressure, everything was going Limerick's way then and on top of which having about 25-30k of their own roaring them on.

So the replay is for Tuesday (23rd) evening in Thurles? I'm confident the lads can finish the job, I believe they were the better hurlers but I'm hoping they won't suffer pshchologically having nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Munster GAA with their head in the sand. THe fair thing to do would be a home venue for Waterford, if it's good enough for a Munster u21 final i don't see why not a Minor final. What are they expecting, 20,000 to turn up to it?

In the event of a neutral venue though, to have it in Thurles. For f*ck sake like there will be no atmosphere, and I say that even with Thurles being closer to me than going to Cork. But given the Limerick minors had the benefit of at least 15,000 (not to mention the Cork fans who must of been supporting Limerick judging by the sound on the radio) supporters today I think our lads would deserve a home venue where they would be guaranteed over 5,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

If they were looking for a half-way venue, then they should consider the Fraher Field. Although some of the city lads might think it's a bit far to travel. :p

No seriously though, should be home advantage for Waterford. Jesus you couldn't get more of an advantage than what Limerick had today. None of our officials are likely to stick their heads above the parapet I'd say - we're a good little obedient county with genial types as our reps.

Is it guaranteed to be a different ref? Normally is for an inter-county replay.

Munster GAA with their head in the sand. THe fair thing to do would be a home venue for Waterford, if it's good enough for a Munster u21 final i don't see why not a Minor final. What are they expecting, 20,000 to turn up to it?

In the event of a neutral venue though, to have it in Thurles. For f*ck sake like there will be no atmosphere, and I say that even with Thurles being closer to me than going to Cork. But given the Limerick minors had the benefit of at least 15,000 (not to mention the Cork fans who must of been supporting Limerick judging by the sound on the radio) supporters today I think our lads would deserve a home venue where they would be guaranteed over 5,000.

Yeah it's frustrating alright. There would be much better atmosphere if it were on in Walsh park or Dungarvan. I think the way they're looking at it though is that yes, Limerick did have home advantage but it was decided at the start of the year to have the Munster final in Limerick anyway and it just happend that Limerick minors made it there and so the match is to remain at a neutral venue. Still, it's frustrating.

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah it's frustrating alright. There would be much better atmosphere if it were on in Walsh park or Dungarvan. I think the way they're looking at it though is that yes, Limerick did have home advantage but it was decided at the start of the year to have the Munster final in Limerick anyway and it just happend that Limerick minors made it there and so the match is to remain at a neutral venue. Still, it's frustrating.

Limerick had home advantage because of the home and away agreement between themselves and Cork. If the final was between Limerick and Clare it would have been in Thurles as no such agreement is in place between the two.

The minor game had no bearing on where it was played, fair enough, but fair is fair is fair is fair...and this is not fair

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

The reality is that the rule of fair play is not being applied here. Home advantage v no home advantage. My understanding was that the Munster Final was played in Limerick due to a home and away arrangement with Cork.

If that was the case, then Waterford should not have to be at less of an advantage at minor level in a replay, due to a cosy home and away arrangement between 2 counties at senior level for the Munster Final.

Had Waterford been playing Limerick in the senior Munster Final, would it still have been held in the Gaelic Grounds?

On another note, I guess all club minor games are off on Wednesday (due to it being only 6 days before a Munster Final). Anyone hear anything yet?

Didn't know it was because of a home and away agreement, I was under the impression that it was decided long ago that the Munster final this year would be held in GG, regardless of who was in it. Suppose it is unfair when you look at it from the point of view that we kinda suffered as a result of the home/away agreement between Cork and Limerick.
    Is there any hope the County board could put this case forward to the Munster council? Would there be much point?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I have a couple of points to make re the minor performance yesterday, whilst it is a wonderfull thing to see a minor team from waerford grace an occasion like a munster final and feel that not only did they belong there, but bring artistry and imagination and loads of skill, but they also brought[which was unusual for a waterford side] a certain amount of arrogance which allowed Limerick back into the game.
    Limerick were chasing the game from the very first minute, all their scores were hard earned and hard fought, but so be it, they got on with it and should have won, Waterford however decided that it was pointless taking a simple score when you could keep the score board ticking over, but you should charge up the middle sell two dummy passes hit a hail mary or go for goal from the '40 which would make you a star if it went in but however if it went wide it did not really matter as we are clearly better than this lot.
    We have done this Twice already this year, we should have closed the game down V Tipp the first night, but we swanked abit in the second half, going for balls half harted as we were clearly better hurlers,However on the same night we did not have the right team on the field, and we did it again yesterday.
    Honourable mentions have to go to shane bennett, Dj foran, and patrick curran who worked hard through out.
    I thought our keeper also did very well, puckouts were 100% better and made a very vital save in the second half, bravely putting his body in front of a limerick forward bearing down on him at pace.
    Austin gleeson is one of the finest minor hurlers i have ever seen at this level, but he has to learn two things, he will get hit[its not tennis] and he will have to not let it affect his game, once v tipp five min prior to half time he got a late shot from the centre forward, and it put him out of that game for along time, same thing happened on the stroke of half time yesterday and again it was clearly on his mind in the second half, as he was no way the same player as he was in the first, also he has the delivery to hurt anyone, why does he feel the need to constantly expose his full back line by leaving massive holes once he has carried balls on the opposing half forward line, play breaks down and we are caught on the counter, happen twice yeaterday and the second time resulted in a free close to goal which allowed limerick to build on an already improving performance.
    Two corner backs decision making has to improve, they have to learn to either get tight at correct time, or stand off made it too easy for a ref mad to appease the home crowd yesterday by diving in when not necessary, has to be said not helped by holes in front of them.
    Overall has to be said this team can play with breathtaking beauty, but has to learn to kill teams off and close games out, this display smacked of arrogance and a little of that can be a great thing, but alot causes teams who could be great to be less than mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Didn't know it was because of a home and away agreement, I was under the impression that it was decided long ago that the Munster final this year would be held in GG, regardless of who was in it. Suppose it is unfair when you look at it from the point of view that we kinda suffered as a result of the home/away agreement between Cork and Limerick.
    Is there any hope the County board could put this case forward to the Munster council? Would there be much point?

No there isnt. It is what it is.

Waterford do have a home and away agreement with Limerick at minor level but it does not apply to Munster Minor finals which are to be held as a curtain raiser to the senior final wherever that is played. So yesterdays game was not part of the home and away agreement between the counties it was just good fortune for Limerick that they happened to be hosting the senior final aswell. I do not need to remind people that we do not have a stadium capable of hosting a Munster final so we will always be at a disadvantage even where we are in senior final on the same day.

and in the event of a replay it is to be held at a neutral venue as nominated by Munster Council. This is all actually set in stone so there is no point of bringing it any further. If the senior match had gone to a replay aswell wed be going down to Pairc Ui Caoimh where there would be another 20,000 Limerick fans there again so at least we have a chance to get behind the lads this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

Was an under21 final played between clare and waterford in the county stadium in dungarvan in 2009

dzilla wrote: »
    Was an under21 final played between clare and waterford in the county stadium in dungarvan in 2009

yep.

robopaddy wrote: »
    No there isnt. It is what it is.

Waterford do have a home and away agreement with Limerick at minor level but it does not apply to Munster Minor finals which are to be held as a curtain raiser to the senior final wherever that is played. So yesterdays game was not part of the home and away agreement between the counties it was just good fortune for Limerick that they happened to be hosting the senior final aswell. I do not need to remind people that we do not have a stadium capable of hosting a Munster final so we will always be at a disadvantage even where we are in senior final on the same day.

and in the event of a replay it is to be held at a neutral venue as nominated by Munster Council. This is all actually set in stone so there is no point of bringing it any further. If the senior match had gone to a replay aswell wed be going down to Pairc Ui Caoimh where there would be another 20,000 Limerick fans there again so at least we have a chance to get behind the lads this time

Still think it's unfair, no matter what there ruling is. They couldn't have had more of an advantage so I really don't see why just because "its the way its down in the book" doesn't really make it fair, and it's not like they've never changed a rule that was never used before when it came to actually implementing it (see Cork in the league of 2010). But from the sound of what you're saying, if the teams are drawn together next year it will also be in Limerick which would be incredibly unfair!

Nobody was complaining about it being on in the Gaelic Grounds before, it's fair enough it's always done that way and sure it was the same in 2009 in Thurles. But they've classified the Gaelic Grounds as a neutral venue when it couldn't have been further from it. How many more opportunities do you think that Limerick minors had to train on the Gaelic Grounds compared tio Waterford, even leaving the crowd aside for a minute?
    dzilla wrote: »

You are indeed correct. The u21 final is always home and away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Would a smaller venue like Tipperary not be more appropriate for the replay? Neutral venues means smaller crowds, and the game is going to be swallowed up in Thurles.

Still think it's unfair, no matter what there ruling is. They couldn't have had more of an advantage so I really don't see why just because "its the way its down in the book" doesn't really make it fair, and it's not like they've never changed a rule that was never used before when it came to actually implementing it (see Cork in the league of 2010). But from the sound of what you're saying, if the teams are drawn together next year it will also be in Limerick which would be incredibly unfair!

Nobody was complaining about it being on in the Gaelic Grounds before, it's fair enough it's always done that way and sure it was the same in 2009 in Thurles. But they've classified the Gaelic Grounds as a neutral venue when it couldn't have been further from it. How many more opportunities do you think that Limerick minors had to train on the Gaelic Grounds compared tio Waterford, even leaving the crowd aside for a minute?

That would be correct as they played in Waterford in 2011. Id have no argument with yesterdays game being on in the Gealic Grounds as a 'neutral venue'. its always been tradition to have the minor final as curtain raiser to the senior. It adds to the occasion and in fairness these lads are entitled to get their day out on the big stage to portray their skills in front of the big crowds. Most of these Munster minor championship matches are played in front of very small crowds during midweek games which is a shame given the talent entertainment value these young lads provide. I know theres the winning and losing aspect of it but the bigger picture is with regard to the promotion of the games. If they were to play the minor final at a separate venue because it was an 'unfair advantage' to a team we'd all just be saying that the GAA are looking for an extra payday.

With regard to the replay Id say the only way we could get the replay to a Waterford venue is if Limerick agreed to allow yesterdays game to be part of the Home & away agreement which is never going to happen because as you say because they are due to play us at home next time out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Up at the game and I must say the showboating from the minors when they were 7 points up was a disgrace. No place in the game for that

robopaddy wrote: »
    With regard to the replay Id say the only way we could get the replay to a Waterford venue is if Limerick agreed to allow yesterdays game to be part of the Home & away agreement which is never going to happen because as you say because they are due to play us at home next time out anyway.

I've no problem with it being the curtain raiser to the Munster Final, as you say the players deserve their day out. And I have no problem with it even if it gave Limerick an advantage, I wouldn't begrudge it to them. Absolutely no problems from me about the venue of yesterday's game.

But I can't see how it's fair that the game is not classified as a home game, because it was a home game, Munster Final or no, and the fact that it was a Munster Final with Limericks Senior team involved gave them as big an advantage as they possibly could have had. It's not an unfair advantage, and not an excuse for not winning but I don't think Limerick would have any right to complain if it was in Waterford where as I feel the team can be aggrieved at having a neutral venue, especially in light of the fact that they'll have to go to Limerick again next year. There's no common sense being applied there.

Just as an aside, I'm going to the game anyway (I plan to anyway) and it makes absolutely no difference to me whether the game is in Walsh Park or Thurles as it's the same length of time to get there for me, and only a small bit longer to Cork. It's just purely for the players I think one team is getting a more favourable outcome than the other. Hopefully it won't make a difference and the lads win the next day.

I think it's grossly unfair to say the minors were showboating. Think it was more a case of overconfidence and a level of naivety in not killing the game off. As I alluded to previously I don't think the ref did them any favours in terms of allowing limerick players overcarry which actually led to both goals. They will have learned a harsh lesson from the game and I would be extremely disappointed if they did not win the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

I think it's grossly unfair to say the minors were showboating. Think it was more a case of overconfidence and a level of naivety in not killing the game off. As I alluded to previously I don't think the ref did them any favours in terms of allowing limerick players overcarry which actually led to both goals. They will have learned a harsh lesson from the game and I would be extremely disappointed if they did not win the replay.

Disagree was at the game as some of the pop passes they were trying with 10 mins to go instead of poping it over the bar were eye of a needle stuff.. gleeson run up the field twice lifting it over fellas heads was incredibly self indulgent and it looked to me at the end that the cohesion and passing they had a times went out the window as lads wanted to be heros.. i love a bit of cockiness and its great to see finally from a waterford group but they were a 8/10 point better team than limerick but yet nearly lost it.. The quietness from the limerick crowd which was substantial at 15 mins to go was deafening.. All you could hear was murmurs from them going 'jes they are some minor team' they couldnt believe their luck that they got back in it... No in a replay you are leaving it to chance again.. Just finish the game off.

Kearney who had a fine game around the middle is prime example of this his run and shot for goal about 30 yards out when a simple point would have killed limericks moment was ridiculous..

If they learn from it i can see them winning an all ireland no problem cause they are all fantastic hurlers but this is 4 games now they've played and they've only won 1 in normal time when they were clearly better than the opposition on each occasion.. When will the penny drop?..

That bennett curran combo if they manage to keep it up looks frightening for years to come.. They have some understanding. the pass from bennett to curran for the penalty was majestic.. He made a difficult flick off the wrist so easy to curran when he could have waited and sucked in the full back.. likewise curran pass for bennetts goal what a ball... but bennett got greedy second half and wanted to put more on the board then give it off..

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Disagree was at the game as some of the pop passes they were trying with 10 mins to go instead of poping it over the bar were eye of a needle stuff.. gleeson run up the field twice lifting it over fellas heads was incredibly self indulgent and it looked to me at the end that the cohesion and passing they had a times went out the window as lads wanted to be heros.. i love a bit of cockiness and its great to see finally from a waterford group but they were a 8/10 point better team than limerick but yet nearly lost it.. The quietness from the limerick crowd which was substantial at 15 mins to go was deafening.. All you could hear was murmurs from them going 'jes they are some minor team' they couldnt believe their luck that they got back in it... No in a replay you are leaving it to chance again.. Just finish the game off.

Kearney who had a fine game around the middle is prime example of this his run and shot for goal about 30 yards out when a simple point would have killed limericks moment was ridiculous..

If they learn from it i can see them winning an all ireland no problem cause they are all fantastic hurlers but this is 4 games now they've played and they've only won 1 in normal time when they were clearly better than the opposition on each occasion.. When will the penny drop?..

That bennett curran combo if they manage to keep it up looks frightening for years to come.. They have some understanding. the pass from bennett to curran for the penalty was majestic.. He made a difficult flick off the wrist so easy to curran when he could have waited and sucked in the full back.. likewise curran pass for bennetts goal what a ball... but bennett got greedy second half and wanted to put more on the board then give it off..

Was at the game also and take your points on board. Seems that we are debating a fine line between overconfidence and showboating, but I think we all agree that the team has the skills and ability to win if they play the percentages a bit more and take their scores. It is a better problem to have than some of the teams of recent years who froze on the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Brad1234 wrote: »

Spot on. Rest of ye need to stop looking at it with rose tinted glasses just cause they are our own

I have no doubt that we are a better team than Limerick but we are not consistent enough. We hurled for the full 60 mins against Clare but that was the only game we did. We gave Tipp and Cork outrageous starts however we did recover in time to beat Cork. This game we sat back on the lead and when Limerick got a late run at us the crowd rowed in behind them and they had us rattled. People were saying the 16th man got Limerick to the finish line but we should never have allowed it to happen in the first place. I think if the game had gone on for a minute or 2 longer we were done for and that would have been a hard one to take.

I hope we can right the wrongs the next day and do the job properly this time because we are well capable of it. If we dont I cant see us going much further because defeat would mean playing Galway in the quarters and KK in the semis if we won that and I just dont think we have shown enough consistency to get through to the final

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Some thoughts on this weekend’s games.

As regards the game against Kilkenny, while Waterford (especially the defence and midfield) put in a great effort, I thought that, apart from the first and last fifteen minutes of normal time, Kilkenny were the better team and could have won the game comfortably with better shooting. For me, there were three main problems with the Waterford performance – too many execution errors, inexperience (understandable in a team with a lot of young players) and poor attacking tactics. As regards the first of these, I counted 44 errors (excluding missed shots) by Waterford players up to half-time in extra time (this was when my recording of the game stopped – I had not allowed for extra time in both games and the full game is not available on the TV3 Player). These mainly involved attempted passes and puckouts going astray or being intercepted, but also included incidences of poor ball control and taking of bad options. This is far too high an error count against opposition of this quality.

I found it hard to fathom Waterford’s attacking tactics. They repeated the Tipperary error of playing too many high balls into the Kilkenny defence where the Waterford forwards were unable to compete. I think too much blame is being placed on the forwards when the real problem was the quality of incoming supply. Waterford did very well in working the ball out of defence to a free man in midfield, and then repeatedly spoiled it with poor deliveries into the forwards. I have said this before, but the emphasis should have been on low diagonal ball into space rather than high balls delivered to target recipients who invariably had at least one Kilkenny defender up their backsides. We needed to stretch the Kilkenny defenders, and especially the older players (who make up four of the six) with a view to tiring them out.

I also could not understand the ploy of leaving Seamus Prendergast on his own in the full forward line. One of the runners (Brian O’Sullivan or Jamie Barron) should have been assigned to stand with him at all times in order to move onto breaking balls or taking passes when Seamus got possession. Having Seamus chasing balls played into the corner was abolutely ridiculous. I am still trying to figure out what role Jamie Barron was expected to play, but whatever it was, it didn’t seem to be working out. We never exploited his pace and ability to run at defenders.

While Michael Ryan deserves great credit for the spirit he has infused into the team, I have great doubts about his team selections and placements and the tactics being employed, and would suggest that this is an aspect of his backup team that requires strengthening (assuming that he is reappointed as manager).

As regards the minor match yesterday, this was a game which Waterford simply threw away, and they are extremely lucky to have got a second chance at the end. I agree entirely with Horseboxhead’s comments on the game, and indeed I had already use the word arrogance in my post-match discussions of the game. When Waterford went eight points up they tried to bury Limerick with further goals rather than tack on simple points which would have put them out of sight. Patrick Curran had a simple tap-over point availabe in front of goal, but opted instead for a pass to the unmarked Stephen Bennett. If he had got it it would undoubtedly have produced a goal, but the pass was overcooked and went over Bennett’s head. Minutes later Mikey Kearney made a great run through the middle but instead of tapping the ball over the bar, he went for a blaster which whizzed outside the right-hand post. If either Curran or Kearney had taken the simple option, Waterford would be Munster champions today.

I also agree with Horseboxhead’s comments on Austin Gleeson. He is a lovely hurler and scored three great points yesterday, but I have reservations about his physicality and ability to stand up to the hits which come with the transition to senior intercounty hurling. And like his clubmate Pat McGrath (Ken’s father) he has a tendency to go on pointless solo runs which leave the other defenders vulnerable if possession is lost. A simple hand pass to a supporting colleague (a la Brick Walsh) is likely to be at least as effective and less risky.

I also have concerns with Waterford’s decision-making on the sideline. It was clear from the outset that – as in the Cork game – Adam Farrell was not at the races and he should have been substituted long before he was (especially given the quality of the Waterford subs). Tom Devine was also in serious trouble against Limerick’s Cian Lynch and again the selectors were amiss in not making an earlier switch between him and Shane Bennett. Lynch had hit four points before the switch and failed to score again afterwards.

As in the Cork game, referee Fergal Horgan did Waterford no favours. Early in the game he pulled two Waterford players very dubiously for overcarrying but when Limerick started running at the Waterford defence late in the game looking for goals there were several clear cases of overcarrying that went unpunished. Limerick’s full forward scored 1-9 from frees whereas Patrick Curran only got two frees to take. While Limerick did put a lot of pressure on the Waterford full back line, they also got what appeared to me to be some very handy frees which kept them in the game. Hopefully we will get someone else for the replay.

All that said we should emphasise that Waterford played some lovely hurling in the course of the game, and some of the their point taking – especially in the first half – was sublime. Nine Waterford players in all scored from play compared with just four for Limerick (one of them a sub). If we can keep tabs on their wing forwards (seven points from play) and cut down on the fouling we should be able to win the replay. I am a bit concerned that Tom Devine is not playing nearly as well as he did last year, or for Dungarvan Colleges this year. It is unlikely, but part of the problem could be that he is currently playing on the right side of the field whereas he had played all his hurling previously on the left. Playing behind a weak link (Farrell) may also not be helping him. For the replay I would start Shane Bennett on the right and Devine on the left, with Cormac Curran in midfield (where he played really well for Dungarvan Colleges), Mikey Kearney at right wing forward and Conor Gleeson in the right corner.

I think some people need to relax. Yes they should have won, but they must be a damn good team to have gotten in to that position. Happens with youths, part of a learning process and an important one as they progress and develop with age. I think we should maybe stop expecting a team of perfect players to emerge for selection at u21 and Senior level next year. I would generally agree with Doz' perspective on the game. They could have lost from where they were so I think they will be happy just to have gotten another day out.

Hugely talented team, and to be honest the extra game should stand to them win or lose. I wouldn't be writing them off either if they do lose to Limerick either, though I'd imagine they will be incredibly disappointed. Hopefully it won't happen though.

• Advertisement

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=196628

Loughnanes article on Mullane. Very harsh. I think Loughnane knows those comments will hurt Mullane which is the most disappointing thing. Expected better, even from him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement