Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    How many use their Garmin's to their full potential, how many know what the full potential of their Garmin's are?
    I suspect most point at a satellite, stick on a HRM and just run (that's me btw).
    Would be good to have a top 10+ most useful features section as many will not RTFM and get into a comfort zone once they (me) figure out how to get basic data.

I've got a full 16 week marathon training schedule from Runner's World downloaded onto mine which I've been trying to follow fairly religiously to prepare for Berlin in Sept, currently on week nine. It's worked pretty much flawlessly so have I have to say, haven't seen any bugs pop up & my Garmin connect calendar is nicely filling up.

Hopefully will let let me improve my time from the Cork marathon a bit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Out of interest has anyone tried charging a Garmin with the portable USB chargers - I see Tesco's and a few others are selling Duracell ones.
    Might be an option when on long over night activities or an option to re charge during a break when on a day long cycle?

Yep,

Used a thing called a freeloader, you charge it's battery up via a computer before you go and in my case it recharged the 405 every day for 8 days. It has two solar panels so you can charge the freeloader (geddit?) on the go on sunny days too. €42 in Great Outdoors for Dublincentric folk. If using it on a long days cycle you'd only have to bring the battery and could leave the panels at home. It can't charge and store sunlight at the same time though.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/b1a6/?cpg=froogle

I'm sure there's other better links to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone know if...

When using the speed/cadence sensor on the bike will speed be calculated from gps or from the sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mloc123 wrote: »
    When using the speed/cadence sensor on the bike will speed be calculated from gps or from the sensor?
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=3356
    Your questions answered and more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

If that doesn't work, try a factory reset.

For the record I deleted all activities and maps are still missing. I also did a factory reset and they are still missing (2 different activities). This all sttarted going weird a while back when I updated the ANT software (I may be clutching at straws). I going to do a reinstall to see if that helps :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

ok lads and lasses...heres one for ye.

I did an interval workout tonight,8*2mins with 90s recovery all set up on the garmin.
    No problem setting up or anything,its just that all i can see while running is the clock counting back from 2mins and how many reps i am doing.
    I need to see what pace i am doing the reps at...its to easy to overcook it and its pointless if you do that.

Help !

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43023680

tonight's session. Garmin all over the place, lap 7 short for no reason and the overlaid loops also all over the place. What's that all about, I need to have faith in my techno toys. Bring back jones counters :)

@ sosa: when doing 8x2mins I set up the training screen with laptime, lap distance and current pace. I don't use the garmin interval thingy at all. this works for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Folks

Have a few requirements but no idea how to satisfy them really

Don't run with a watch- need something to measure time
    Distance: have limited idea of how far I run based on signs in parks etc and a few drives. Want to get a good idea of how far my run on any given day is
    Would like something that I could use to map out a run before hand

Do I need a Garmin or some other such advice? If so what type of Garmin/other device and how much should I expect to pay

What are the other features and benefits of these devices? I'm in training for the 10 mile and Half- do I need to be bothering about Heart Rate?

Thanks for your help

Peterx wrote: »
    @ sosa: when doing 8x2mins I set up the training screen with laptime, lap distance and current pace. I don't use the garmin interval thingy at all. this works for me anyway.

Surely that defeats the purpose of the interval options then ?
    How do you gauge your recovery time then ? or do you just stop the lap at 2 mins and then guess the rec ?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

GPS Watch with Heart Rate Monitor for sale in Lidls on 9th August. Is it worth the money? :rolleyes:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100809.p.GPS_Watch_with_Heart_Rate_Monitor

• Advertisement

Does that not defeat the purpose of the intervals option on the garmin then ?
    How do you time recoveries...you must just guess ?

Krusty said something about setting it up on garmin connect first....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

The first part of my run tonight: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43030353

Figured after a first mile of 3:57 and 2 miles at 10:00 that something was going wrong, so reset the workout and no problems after that. I've had signal problems around here before but never that bad, and the buildings aren't even that tall - only 3/4 stories...

No real question, just pointing out how badly it can go wrong sometimes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

@xebec: The red line came up before the map there and I thought it was the elevation profile of your run. :D

xebec wrote: »
    Figured after a first mile of 3:57 and 2 miles at 10:00 that something was going wrong,

You have got to post those times in the best of '10 thread ;). A sub 4 minute mile in training niiiiiiiiiiiicccccccceeeeeeeee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

You have got to post those times in the best of '10 thread ;). A sub 4 minute mile in training niiiiiiiiiiiicccccccceeeeeeeee :D

Aww can I?! I'll even put an asterisk beside it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Don't run with a watch- need something to measure time
    Distance: have limited idea of how far I run based on signs in parks etc and a few drives....Would like something that I could use to map out a run before hand...Do I need a Garmin or some other such advice? If so what type of Garmin/other device and how much should I expect to pay...What are the other features and benefits of these devices? I'm in training for the 10 mile and Half- do I need to be bothering about Heart Rate?

Cheapest option - stopwatch and mapmyrun. Use mapmyrun to plan your route, and a stopwatch to see how long it takes. Easy, inexpensive, nothing wrong with it.

Next cheapest - watch & pedometer, like Nike+. The watch will tell you how long your run took, the pedometer will tell you roughly how far you ran. You have to recalibrate them every now and again (by running a known distance), but you might find this handier than mapmyrun.

Next cheapest - watch with HRM, such as this. Won't tell you your distance, but will tell you how hard you're working. I don't use a HRM, and I think it's overkill when you're starting off, but they're useful as you get more serious about your running.

Finally - watch with GPS. Will tell you how long you've been running for, what distance you've run, and how fast you're running (and lots of other things too if you poke around). Great yokes. But they cost about 150 quid.
    GPS Watch with Heart Rate Monitor for sale in Lidls on 9th August. Is it worth the money? :rolleyes:

Isn't this where we came in? As Krusty said, why would you pay 140 quid for a no-name knockoff when for 150 you can get a well-known brand with a good record?

Aww can I?! I'll even put an asterisk beside it ;)

ha ha. The auld fellahs will use this as revenge against me. Bloody technology

Sosa wrote: »
    Surely that defeats the purpose of the interval options then ?
    How do you gauge your recovery time then ? or do you just stop the lap at 2 mins and then guess the rec ?

every time i hit lap the laptime (and lap distance) starts again from zero so after my scheduled recovery I go again. The total activity time keeps running away in the backround but that's irrelevant to me.

For the record I deleted all activities and maps are still missing. I also did a factory reset and they are still missing (2 different activities). This all sttarted going weird a while back when I updated the ANT software (I may be clutching at straws). I going to do a reinstall to see if that helps :confused:
    You mean for new activities, or for the activities you have already uploaded to Garmin Connect? If my assumption is correct, you have lost (irretrievably) all of the map data for older runs. You won't get the maps back for those activities. But for new activities (since you wiped the watch) it should record trackpoints.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43023680

tonight's session. Garmin all over the place, lap 7 short for no reason and the overlaid loops also all over the place. What's that all about, I need to have faith in my techno toys. Bring back jones counters :)

That is bad. Did you wait for a good satellite signal before you began, or did you just launch into it? Jones' counters are great, but have you tried running with one attached to your wrist? You really need to attach another one to the other wrist, just to keep the weight balanced correctly. :)

• Advertisement

ok lads and lasses...heres one for ye.

I did an interval workout tonight,8*2mins with 90s recovery all set up on the garmin.
    No problem setting up or anything,its just that all i can see while running is the clock counting back from 2mins and how many reps i am doing.
    I need to see what pace i am doing the reps at...its to easy to overcook it and its pointless if you do that.

Help !
    Set it up as an advanced workout on your computer and transfer it over to the watch. Then it will display average pace for the lap, and the time/distance remaining.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100809.p.GPS_Watch_with_Heart_Rate_Monitor
    No.

The first part of my run tonight: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43030353

Figured after a first mile of 3:57 and 2 miles at 10:00 that something was going wrong, so reset the workout and no problems after that. I've had signal problems around here before but never that bad, and the buildings aren't even that tall - only 3/4 stories...

No real question, just pointing out how badly it can go wrong sometimes!
    Jaysus, the lads must be tinkering with the satellites tonight. :)

Krusty said something about setting it up on garmin connect first....
    Set it up as an advanced workout in Garmin Training Centre. I posted the steps before. I'll see if I can find them.

*Edit*: Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

No.

Many thanks for reply. Why ya reckon not?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

i think i'm in big trouble with my 110,did my run yesterday and when finished reset it as normal.all was grand until i was going charging it later when i was met by a blank screen.connected it to power and computer but no joy.is there any hope for it?

managed to get it restarted by holding the light button,thank god for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

In your case it sounds like it is losing the ANT+ connection to the watch. Since replacing the battery, did you re-'pair' the HRM to the watch? Might be an idea to pair the two devices again.

For anyone else that has this problem:

Menu > Settings > ANT+ > Accessories > HRM > Rescan. She's working a charm now, thanks KC

psychozeb wrote: »
    i think i'm in big trouble with my 110,did my run yesterday and when finished reset it as normal.all was grand until i was going charging it later when i was met by a blank screen.connected it to power and computer but no joy.is there any hope for it?

managed to get it restarted by holding the light button,thank god for that!
    Ugh, that's still not great. Have you checked for any firmware updates? Garmin will usually put out a few updates to fix nasty bugs over the first year.

Many thanks for reply. Why ya reckon not?
    I put some additional information here. But just to be absolutely fair and clear, I'm not saying that it is bad value for money, or that it is a bad product (having never used one, it would be entirely improper of me to say so). They key point is that the Garmin 305 will cost a similar or lesser price and is a similar spec, and is a thoroughly tried and tested product from a company with a long standing reputation for very good after sales service/repairs. The Crivit by comparison is not. It is rebadged by Crivit (who I believe are a LIDL re-badging company) and is actually made by USGlobalSat (who contrary to their name are a Taiwanese electronics manufacturer).

Looking at the GPSPassion website, at least there seems to be some community involvement (one person anyway) producing alternative firmware to the 'craptastic software shipped with...the unit' in his words. Applying a USGlobalSat firmware update seems to void your warranty though the product developers do seem to be active/helpful (which is more than you'll get from the Garmin developers).

It's a case of buyer beware. If anything goes wrong, it'll be a case of getting in touch with LIDL or Crivit.....or USGlobalSat. Have a read through their forum and you'll get a better understanding of the product.

• Advertisement

You mean for new activities, or for the activities you have already uploaded to Garmin Connect? If my assumption is correct, you have lost (irretrievably) all of the map data for older runs. You won't get the maps back for those activities. But for new activities (since you wiped the watch) it should record trackpoints.

For new activities. Still no maps for the new activities since delete and watch restart.

Advertisement