Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shaving foam - how much do you go through?

• 14-11-2008 2:21pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How long does it take you to get through a large cannister of shaving foam?

They always seem to be just about empty after a few weeks. I then spend the next 6 months shaving with a rusty razor and shampoo suds :mad: :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

your using way too much!! Way

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

I don't use it, I always use soap. Shaving foam is a waste of money imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Soap ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Don't use the stuff. Pain in the hole using it imo... bit of water and yer' grand.

Now, hairgel on the other hand... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

BossArky wrote: »
    I then spend the next 6 months shaving with a rusty razor and shampoo suds :mad: :P

Your budget doesn't stretch to another can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Butcher's knife + white spirits.

Yer only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Soap and brush=shaving win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I used to use shaving gel as opposed to foam as it gave me a better shave.

Now I dry shave and its a great shave and a nice feel/ Seriously guys should try it but take your time the first time.

That's just wrong dude. Your face must hate you...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gel > foam any day.

Use sparingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I think the last can of shaving gel laster around 2 months ? But I get away with shaving bi-weekly so I suppose it still didnt last all that long really.

That's just wrong dude. Your face must hate you...

Actually my skin has never been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

have electric razor but when i had normal razor i just dry shaved. Used foam once or twice but didnt like it hence dry shaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

6th wrote: »
    I used to use shaving gel as opposed to foam as it gave me a better shave.

Now I dry shave and its a great shave and a nice feel/ Seriously guys should try it but take your time the first time.

I've done that a few times when I didn't have any gel/foam/oil left. It's not that bad but doesn't really work well if you have more than a 2 or 3 days worth of growth.

I normally use King of Shaves gel but decided to try a new one when I saw it in Tescos. It's made by "The Real Shaving Company" and seems to be real good. I only had to use a very small amount, much less than I would with the KoS gel.

Dord wrote: »
    I've done that a few times when I didn't have any gel/foam/oil left. It's not that bad but doesn't really work well if you have more than a 2 or 3 days worth of growth.

I've done it with a weeks growth and it felt good. Tough to start but worth it. My neck used to get irritated but not since I went to dry shaving. I find the blades last longer too, just brush them down with a dry nail brush after.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

3-in-1 oil

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

dry shaving? Wtf ?? Mite be ok if you have bumfluff.

OP- bout 3 cans of foam a year does the trick

rarnes1 wrote: »

Ehh no. :rolleyes:

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure what I have wouldnt be classed as bumfluff ... even the stuff on my bum. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I dunno how yis can dry shave lads, tears the bejaysus out of my face the few times I've had to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i cut meself more when i tried foam. Never cut meself dry shaving. Dry shave about a 3 month goatee and about 2weeks side and it was awkward to start off but grand then. Real men dry shave lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Gel (Nivea), pipping hot water, shave it twice - once down, then up. aftershave balm to finish off

smooth as a babys...

dry shaving would remind me of college when i didn't know beter

Shaving against the grain is pretty bad. It can cause ingrown hairs and also rips the fook out of your face! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Your budget doesn't stretch to another can?
    Not as if it's expensive or anything and there are a lot of bargins to be had if you look in the right places ie ,buy one get one free .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Dord wrote: »
    Shaving against the grain is pretty bad. It can cause ingrown hairs and also rips the fook out of your face! :eek:

Not if you do it correctly, I always go against the grain for the last few strokes and never has an ingrown hair, suffered razor burn or got bad skin as a result. As long as you go with the grain to remove the heavy stuff, then go sideways to get shorter, lather up again and go against the grain you'll be fine.
    I wouldn't do it at the start of the shave though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Shave pretty much everyday, so would barely get a month out of a can of gel. Have an electric razor too so use that when I'm going to be sitting in the office by myself for the day.. the rough look:)

Would always go with the grain on the face but on the next I would go against the grain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jip wrote: »
    As long as you go with the grain to remove the heavy stuff, then go sideways to get shorter, lather up again and go against the grain you'll be fine.
    I wouldn't do it at the start of the shave though.

Truth.

About 2 cans every 3 months for me. I recently went back to those solid shaving sticks of yore because they were easier to travel on a plane with, I might stick with them as they seem to last forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

I tend to have a very strong beard, so much so that even with a new razor head I'd feel it pulling on the hairs but awhile back I stared using sanex dermo active shaving gel.
    Have to say I find it very good and I can get a lot more shaves per razor head, a little of it goes a long way too so there is good lasting to it.

Make sure you are using very hot water and letting the bristles soften as much as possible so, if you can only shave after a shower, it makes a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Make sure you are using very hot water and letting the bristles soften as much as possible so, if you can only shave after a shower, it makes a big difference.

Yeah always use very hot water and if I wasn't just out of the shower I'd put a good hot cloth on my face, it or a shower are a great way to get a nice close shave.

Advertisement