Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer Weather 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

316198.jpg

:cool: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Aye
    Costa del Arklow again too today ,got a 22 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Another cloudy day here in the west.... only started to break up at about 7pm .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Summer is over I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

summer ain't over by a long shot, the next 2 weeks will probably be normal Irish atlantic muck but after that hopefully we will get some decent summer warmth again, plus you can always count on the first week of September when the kids are back in school to be wall to wall sunshine with temperatures in the mid 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think we'll get another 2/3 kicks in August and September for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gonzo wrote: »
    summer ain't over by a long shot, the next 2 weeks will probably be normal Irish atlantic muck but after that hopefully we will get some decent summer warmth again, plus you can always count on the first week of September when the kids are back in school to be wall to wall sunshine with temperatures in the mid 20s.

BBC last night going with 2 lows influencing our weather for the next week.The nice high pressure isn't too far away though so hopefully that will become more dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Cloudy but warm here in Waterford :-):-)

er its sunny in Waterford! Was certainly overcast but its lifting, breezy but no cooling in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

It was cloudy when arrived, the sun is out now :-):-)

• Advertisement

Costa del Arklow peaked at 24.8c today!

Still 22.1c now :D

What a summer of heat and sun this continues to be in east wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whitebriar wrote: »
    Costa del Arklow peaked at 24.8c today!

Still 22.1c now :D

What a summer of heat and sun this continues to be in east wicklow!

Ah will u stop rubbin it in??!!;) - My wee farm in North Mayo has been shrouded in Atlantic muck for the past month, and now an extented run of chilly North Westerlies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

We better back off Whitebriar. They'll end up banning us from the forum out of spite. :D

That sat image I posted though has been the 'story' of this Summer as far as our weather realationship to the rest of the country has been concerned. ie. Convection bubbling up cloud cover nationwide at noon excluding extreme coastal regions/strips and/or frontal cloud diverting or dissipating around the Wicklow/Dublin mountains leaving us in the clear. Its not the Sunny south east but the Sunny middle east. Wexford/Waterford haven't had it near as good as us between Bray and Arklow either. The image also highlights how even up the road in SoCoDu and West Dublin can have experienced vastly different Sunshine amounts than us. Of course that image is a snapshot of one day but I've been looking at the sat images several times a day every day since the good weather started in the middle of June and for the most part, that image or similar is fairly representative of the last 2 months.

Calibos wrote: »
    We better back off Whitebriar. They'll end up banning us from the forum out of spite. :D

That sat image I posted though has been the 'story' of this Summer as far as our weather realationship to the rest of the country has been concerned. ie. Convection bubbling up cloud cover nationwide at noon excluding extreme coastal regions/strips and/or frontal cloud diverting or dissipating around the Wicklow/Dublin mountains leaving us in the clear. Its not the Sunny south east but the Sunny middle east. Wexford/Waterford haven't had it near as good as us between Bray and Arklow either. The image also highlights how even up the road in SoCoDu and West Dublin can have experienced vastly different Sunshine amounts than us. Of course that image is a snapshot of one day but I've been looking at the sat images several times a day every day since the good weather started in the middle of June and for the most part, that image or similar is fairly representative of the last 2 months.

Well I'll conceed you've had a few extra bright days (and probably a degree or two more heat for what that's worth- not much really) but east Waterford has been basking this summer - my bleached lawns are proof of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Pissed rain for most of the day here in Carlow.

Cloudy with bits of sunshine peeking through this evening.

Weather station peaked at 16.5°c, its currently 14°c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudsta del Sligo misht n drizzle again

DARK AS FRIG:cool:

Sunny and boiling in east wicklow again.
    23.7c currently :D

22.9 and sunny, with a light breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cloudy, 18C, been mostly cloudy now for past 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Whats going on with the radar. Looks like its drizzling in the south east but from reports it must surely not be!
    Is it a swarm of locusts?!

316487.PNG

• Advertisement

Whats going on with the radar. Looks like its drizzling in the south east but from reports it must surely not be!
    Is it a swarm of locusts?!

316487.PNG
    Has to be wrong according to my sunburn today anyhow!
    But then thats not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Its drizzling/raining here in Galway city now actually. So maybe the radar positioning is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Cloudy again....seriously disappointing summer for us apart from that great spell in june, doesn't matter if it's dry when there's no sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well I'll conceed you've had a few extra bright days (and probably a degree or two more heat for what that's worth- not much really) but east Waterford has been basking this summer - my bleached lawns are proof of that.

Waterford city pretty parched as well, weather has been great since the supposed end of the good weather. Last drop of rain in the city was in the middle of the hot spell on the 21st but it missed the coast. Threatening a few drops today, garden has its tongue out!

It just rained :eek: for about 1 minute

Felt very warm today, some real nice sunshine and half of an hour of thunder and lightning during lunchtime added to the mix. 21C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Daytime highs have not dropped below 20 degrees here in Waterford for the past 23 days straight.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxwugraphs.php

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As I may be on holiday for much of the intervening time, I thought it might be a good idea to post this today in this thread ... perhaps somebody will start a separate thread on this closer to the event.

On the morning of Monday, 18th August before sunrise, if skies are clear, you'll have a view of a close conjunction of Venus and Jupiter appearing about 1.5 hours before sunrise, so fairly low in the east at that time (estimated 0430-0600h for best viewing). The two brightest planets will be a mere 0.2 deg apart, little more than the size of the Moon in our skies.

And there's another, more easily viewed, planetary conjunction scheduled for the 27th of August, when Mars and Saturn pass at a more sedate 4 deg of separation, that should be easily spotted around 10 p.m. to midnight in the south to southwest. This conjunction won't look markedly different night to night and by the evening of the 31st the moon will brush past Saturn which will be 4 deg above Mars. Make a note on your calendar, and remember, put the note on the 17th because if you don't read it until daytime on the 18th, you've missed the closest apparition. I hope to see it here from dark rural skies but the time difference means that I won't be looking at the very closest phase and my view on the 17th will be about the same as on the 18th.

Then also, the fading crescent of the moon passes these bright planets, already somewhat separated, on the early mornings of 23rd and 24th -- 23rd is recommended with moon below Jupiter, as moon might be difficult to find just 30 hours before new moon by its conjunction with Venus.

One other note, sadly the Perseids won't be favoured by this month's lunar calendar but we do have a supermoon to view on the nights of 9th-10th, 10th-11th and 11th-12th, albeit not right at the actual event (perigeean full moon) which takes place during the evening daytime of the 10th. Those dates are normally the peak for the Perseids so spotting them will be tough with that big full moon shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Daytime highs have not dropped below 20 degrees here in Waterford for the past 23 days straight.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxwugraphs.php

Bray and Waterford - definitely the places to be for summer 2014.

I'm on west waterford coast - ardmore to be precise - and the weather pretty much all summer has been incredible, holidays with the small fella flying by. Amazing how often this year you can look out to sea and see blue skies, turn around and look north and see darkish clouds (today was exactly like that).

Makes up for never ever ever ever getting snow in winter (not even that Christmas when everywhere else in the country was buried!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

alfa beta wrote: »
    Bray and Waterford - definitely the places to be for summer 2014.

I'm on west waterford coast - ardmore to be precise - and the weather pretty much all summer has been incredible, holidays with the small fella flying by. Amazing how often this year you can look out to sea and see blue skies, turn around and look north and see darkish clouds (today was exactly like that).

Makes up for never ever ever ever getting snow in winter (not even that Christmas when everywhere else in the country was buried!!!)

Only 4mm of rain of that band in the early hours here in the city, barely enough to keep the dust down! Surely we'll get the deluge forecast this evening!!!

Advertisement