Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WD & HO Wills

• 29-07-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi,
    does anyone know if its possible to get employee records for the Player Wills tobacco company which opened here in approx. 1923? I have family which moved here from UK to work there but I cant find them on the UK census/Irish census/immigration records...nothing.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Deirdre Healy
    Corporate Affairs Manager
    Direct tel: +353 1 243 4809
    Mob: +353 8629 95609
    Email: deirdre.healy@ie.imptob.com

The only local contact that I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Bristol Record Office has records for the company. That could be good place to start.

http://archives.bristol.gov.uk/dserve/useful_information.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm confused by your title.

Have you been into Pearse St library to look at electoral registers for the 1920s? It's searchable on a computer and might give you an address to go on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

great, thanks for the info Ponster & Coolnabacky1873

hi pinkypinky WD & HO Wills were a British tobacco company that came here around 1920 and opened a factory called Player Wills. a lot of my family and people in the area I grew up in worked for this company and my grandmothers family came over from the UK when she was young as her father worked for them.
    im veerrry new to my family search so am a bit lost at the moment - sorry for the confusion.

thanks
    Phenix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

don't know if this timeline is of interest

http://www.davenapier.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wills/wdhowill.htm

The Wills family were one of the big families in Swindon where I now live and were heavily involved in Swindon Town Football Club until recently.

There is an online version of a book called "W.D. & H.O. Wills and the Development of the UK Tobacco Industry: 1786-1965" by B.W.E Alford which may be of interest. Dublin gets a mention - producing 635million cigarettes in the first year of operation. The management at the Dublin factory reported to the Bristol office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

thank you so much for the response Johnny Doyle

Advertisement