Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some good news for the city?

• 14-10-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭

LIMERICK city centre is taking on a new look.
    The Pier Hotel, on Sarsfield Bridge, has reopened, under new management.
    A spokesperson told the Limerick Post that the bar and restaurant are already up and running, and that the bedrooms will reopen shortly, after a major revamp.

“We are looking forward to trading in this busy location, and welcoming back old and new customers”.
    Pier One closed about three years ago.
    Business people in the vicinity have expressed delight that it is again to be a fully functional hotel.
    Meanwhile, Michael Guiney has given a massive vote of confidence to his native city with a major extension to his William Street premises.
    And it has emerged that deals have been struck on number of vacant units in the city.
    Croom-born Mr Guiney, who also runs successful operations in Dublin, Tralee, Cork and Waterford, has taken over the former Remix and Choice Fashion shops in the Williamscourt Mall.
    Guineys will now front onto William Street.
    Remix have relocated to a vacant unit at Arthur’s Quay, while Choice, trading for 20 years, has transferred to No 58 William Street, once the ‘home’ of Denis Moran’s menswear.
    Pat Kearney of Rooney Auctioneers, who negotiated on behalf of Guiney’s, told the Limerick Post that there was a marked revival of interest in the city centre area.
    “Michael Guiney’s latest investment is a vote of confidence. From my dealings with him, I know he is very positive about Limerick”.
    Rooneys, celebrating their 40th birthday this week, have concluded upwards of 10 transactions in recent weeks, and expect to finalise another three before the end of the month.
    “The former O’Brien’s Sandwich Bar in William Street has changed hands and is to reopen within a fortnight, and Alphonsus and Jacqui Franklin have already opened a shoe repairs and sales at the former Budget Travel Shop in Sarsfield Street”.
    Rooney also identified a new owner for the Loaf Shop in Roches Street, which ceased trading last month.
    Dell executive Paul O’Reilly, who grew up in Shannon, has taken up the leasehold interest there and has designs on a milk shake bar.

Said Paul, who has just returned after climbing Kilimanjaro: “I have travelled the world with Dell and am well acquainted with business. I see great potential in Limerick. Despite what has been said, the outlook is good, and I would not be investing if I didn’t have confidence in the future of the city”.
    Costa Coffee, meanwhile, are to open at the Childers Retail Park.
    Eircom’s E Mobile opened their new Cruises Street store this week.
    Ms Maria Kelly, Limerick Chamber, welcomed the latest developments.
    “I have spent six years talking up the positives of Limerick city and these are moves in the right direction”.
    While Limerick Chamber is anxious to see the emergence of a major high street name in the city centre, it emerged this week that Marks & Spencer have deferred future investment in Ireland for a four-year period.
    They are opening a new premises in Douglas, Cork, this month, and a spokesperson said that apart from plans for a store in Swords, county Dublin, there would be no other openings before 2015.

Some new shops opening, but the majority of this article is about current businesses moving or expanding. The milkshake bar could be a good idea, but it needs to be more central than Roches street. Somewhere around Thomas St, or the market would be a better location for something like this as it would be relying on passing trade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

A milkshake bar! \o/ Better be as good as the standard set in Dublin though (Shakes) - if it is, I don't mind where they put it :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

foinse wrote: »
    Some new shops opening, but the majority of this article is about current businesses moving or expanding. The milkshake bar could be a good idea, but it needs to be more central than Roches street. Somewhere around Thomas St, or the market would be a better location for something like this as it would be relying on passing trade.

Thomas St thats 1 block over from Roches St?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

It's good to see.I know some posters (including myself) have been critical of our native city but this has to be considered positive news.
    Hopefully the Nicholas St revamp will happen & maybe they could finish the hanging gardens aswell.
    The new Greyhound track looks really good aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

krudler wrote: »
    Thomas St thats 1 block over from Roches St?

Yes but its got about 10 times the footfall of Roches Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Oh good. Another Hotel in a city with too many hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

It's true that there's too many hotels but it at least looks better than what it was.

Agreed that it looks better, but all it means it is taking beds from some other hotel. With rates so tight, eventually that other hotel will then close too, leaving another eye sore. Unless its a nama hotel, then it stays open and undercuts everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

phill106 wrote: »
    Oh good. Another Hotel in a city with too many hotels.

Its better than a big asylum centre in a prime city centre location welcoming people to the city.

Good luck to them. People should be grateful of jobs when we can get them.

Berty wrote: »
    Its better than a big asylum centre in a prime city centre location welcoming people to the city.

Good luck to them. People should be grateful of jobs when we can get them.

Definitely, the amount of beatup micras parked outside the place was silly. Gave a very poor impression to visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice front view from the Pier Hotel of the old shabby Dunnes Stores building. I bet they will charge a premium for that view.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nice front view from the Pier Hotel of the old shabby Dunnes Stores building. I bet they will charge a premium for that view.

Nah they will call the rooms city view or river view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

what skin is it off anyones nose if theres another hotel? Christ you people would give out about anything. It a) provides employment b) Provides cheaper accomodation to attract tourists, and c) Cleans up one of the main approaches to the city.

I tried to open a milkshake bar 2 years ago, but nobody would listen to me. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

zuroph wrote: »
    I tried to open a milkshake bar 2 years ago, but nobody would listen to me. :mad:

What happened?

couldnt get any funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

zuroph wrote: »
    couldnt get any funding.

Disaster, wonder will the new guys prove you right? Where would you have opened?

juice bar on william street, or arthurs quay/cruises street, with an eye to opening in the crescent and UL asap after. I guess I'll get to see what happens now.

Advertisement