Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was wondering myself why it was being called the finale coz the whole thing wraps up on the 8th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any evidence of rip-off galway in action a month in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I was wondering myself why it was being called the finale coz the whole thing wraps up on the 8th.

I suppose cos the race itself will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mcmurphy995

Any sign of the entertainment line up being announced yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Any sign of the entertainment line up being announced yet ?

Pete Gabriel to be confirmed this week

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thinking about a road trip heard there is going gigs are they free?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Scroll down a couple of millimeters. Big thread answering your question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Just want the free gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I don't see any pay gigs mentioned in the Volvo thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with VOR thread.
    bigpink, check the facebook page and www page for gig listings.
    Or just read this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Does anyone know/heard rumours of who is playing on Thursday 5th July? Or actually, when the line-up in full is to be announced?

As I said a while ago, they're cutting it kinda fine for the announcements!

Also, are tickets needed for the gigs on the docks this time around, or will it be just like last time (i.e. just turn up)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

Dara O'Brian is on June 30 - paid gig

Is there anywhere with an exact rundown of who and what bands are playing each of the gigs? The VORGalway site is more about sailing than the entertainment and I'd love to see some kind of list with dates, venues and who is playing.

It's sort of annoying buying tickets for some events with no clear indication of what artists will be appearing. You might expect that for the free gigs because, hey, it's free and you take what you're given but it all seems very general.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

squonk wrote: »
    Dara O'Brian is on June 30 - paid gig

Ordered my tickets at the weekend. Can't wait to see him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

snubbleste wrote: »
    Any evidence of rip-off galway in action a month in advance?

Stuck for something to give out about? Cheer up and enjoy the weather! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Some more details about the headline acts at the Ocean Race concerts available here.

156122_391826774194079_1369954052_n.jpg

Not long to go now !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Heard a great one on the radio today from Let's Do It Global.....

"We are looking for people experienced in x, y, z... if you are, then this is the job for you"

"Send your CV to volunteering@letsd......com"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Really getting excited for Mav and Ryan Sheridan :D

18 Days...

4422269210_f28d199e65_b.jpg

From here;

Veteran Irish rockers Thin Lizzy and American pop legends The Family Stone are among the acts who have been confirmed to headline eight nights of free live music during the grand finale of the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway.

There is also a strong local flavour to the major outdoor shows in the vicinity of Galway Harbour as The Saw Doctors, The Stunning, and Sharon Shannon have also been lined up to headline the free gigs between June 30 and July 7.

A large stage is due to be erected at the site formerly occupied by the oil tanks near the docks, which were removed for the VOR stopover three years ago. The site hosted a food village in 2009 and has been cleared after recently hosting a Funderland amusements show.

Musical entertainment commences at the docklands site on the night of Saturday, June 30, when 22-year old rapper Maverick Sabre headlines a free open air show. Sabre, born Michael Stafford, mixes hip-hop and folk influences and is seen as one of the most exiting acts to emerge in Britain and Ireland over the past 18 months.

On Sunday, July 1, it’s the turn of The Family Stone (without Sly) to headline the main stage at 9pm. With a string of hits going back over four decades, they will be joined by Ryan Sheridan (8pm) and Niwel Tsumbu (7pm).

Thin Lizzy, still touring extensively 26 years after the death of star frontman Phil Lynott, will bring hard rock to the main stage on July 2 (8.30 to 10pm), supported by Athenry band The Deans and Time is Thief.

The Saw Doctors will rock the main stage on Tuesday, July 3 (also 8.30pm), backed by Amazing Apples and Sean Slattery.

On the following night, July 4, there will be a fireworks show at the docks to celebrate American Independence Day, with music by the West Coast Big Band (10pm), Vaudeville Vamps, Galway Swing Dance, and Chicago act Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, who played a top class concert at the Roisin Dubh last weekend.

Traditional music takes the spotlight on Thursday, July 5, when Altan and De Danann take to the stage, following the prize-giving ceremony for the final leg of the VOR at 5pm.

Former Galway residents The Stunning will reform for a show at the main race village stage on Friday, July 6, following their acclaimed set at the VOR stopover in 2009. They will be joined by support acts Stephen James and the Atlantic Pirates.

4th July is looking good

Some more details about the headline acts at the Ocean Race concerts available here.

Oops missed your link, same article!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

barriers being put up around the dock......the work has finally started!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    I was behind a truck loaded with pontoons headed down the docks yesterday.

I'm still counting on Yeehaw for a last minute Peter Gabriel annoucement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

I regret to inform you all that yeehaw has been banned for keeping it too real.

PM the man regarding a possible debt on a Galway United attendance bet. He can't remember the name of the guy he had the bet with.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

any sign on work for the pedestrian bridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sweet, I'm really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

so are all the music gigs free? I see you have to buy tickets for 12 quid to get into the finale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Not only that, they're putting in the vertical rails for extra pontoons! They are starting along the Dock Rd, so hopefully there'll be more pontoons this time round (either that, or the Volvo boats will be berthed different this time... in a few days it will all become clear)
    any sign on work for the pedestrian bridges?
    Not a pinch of work has started here - It's possible they're leaving it until last minute to erect this as it puts a bit of a burden on Claddagh navigation

On a side note.... at the moment it'd be cheaper to rent an apartment than berth your boat in the Docks, got an invoice this morning and all I could do was :eek::eek::eek:

12Jun.jpg

The present state of play in the race:

It's the closest contest in the 39 year history of the Volvo Ocean Race. Four teams can still take the glory with less than a month to go.

The boats are 1/3rd of the way through Leg 8 approaching the Azores, where they have to round São Miguel Island, before heading to the finish Lorient. The weather Gods and the Azores high anticyclone are slowing the boats, who are within sight of each other, leading to a tense cat and mouse game in light airs.

More details here.

• Advertisement

A reminder of last Galway VOR stop in May 2009:

The amazing arrival from Boston in the middle of the night, Hurling with Joe and the in-Port Races on the bay.

Leaving Galway for Sweden, beautiful images of the town, the Salmon Weir and the Aran islands at the start of this video.

Enjoy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement