Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine flu suspected at student conference

• 21-07-2009 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭fredmc

FOUR STUDENTS from University College Cork (UCC) have developed symptoms of swine flu after attending a student union conference in Waterford. The students contacted the out-of-hours GP service in Cork after returning from the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) conference at the weekend.

From http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2009/0721/1224250993097.html

So is that the Student Union infected? They're off to a great start:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Hahaha that will teach them for having so many unnecessary conferences in plush hotels and being fully catered for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Oh no, they might miss a few weeks of doing fcuk all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Assuming that they're using the same accommodations as I was when I was in Waterford at the same thing two years ago, they'll have been in the student village rather than a plush hotel (not that they're not nice, there just isn't any room service).

The nice thing is that they tend to split up the groups for accommodation so that there isn't a ghetto thing going on. So because the groups are mixed, if the UCC people caught it there, all the other SUs will have done as well. If the national epidemic hits the third level educational establishments early you know why:)

Just as well this didn't happen in two months' time - with the amount of students that pile on to the buses home each weekend it could have spread like an Aussie bush fire. Even over the summer in a mixed academic environment it has to be taken seriously on the same basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there have been a few emails on the staff mailing lists.
    Possible Influenza at UCC

The HSE has advised that HINI Influenza is circulating in Ireland. A
    small number of cases of possible HINI Influenza affecting UCC
    students is being investigated. The students’ probable contact with
    Influenza was outside the UCC campus and they have not returned to the
    campus since becoming unwell. They have not required hospital
    treatment and they are currently isolated. Laboratory investigations
    are currently under way and the situation is being managed in
    accordance with HSE guidelines. The University has a Pandemic Response
    Team in place which includes expert members from across the University
    to implement the recommendations contained in the National Pandemic
    Influenza Plan. This group is responsible for managing the situation
    in accordance with the specific recommendations for Third Level
    Institutions.

Click here for H1N1 Swine Flu Information

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Well you clearly have no idea what the students union actually do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

samf wrote: »
    Well you clearly have no idea what the students union actually do.

Sweet fcuk all
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

I know thats the stereotype, but call into their offices some evening in a week or two when theyre back at 8 or 9 at night and chances are you'll find at least half of them still working.

And no they dont get overtime and yes they are the lowest paid students union in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

samf wrote: »
    I know thats the stereotype, but call into their offices some evening in a week or two when theyre back at 8 or 9 at night and chances are you'll find at least half of them still working.

And no they dont get overtime and yes they are the lowest paid students union in ireland.

Agreed.

Its always the idiots who have no idea about the SU who are the first to bash it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ June CoolS Blackboard

Yeah I'm living with someone in the SU for the summer and he regularly works twelve hour days, and gets phone calls early on weekend mornings asking him to "touch base" over something etc. I never realised how hard they work before

Advertisement