Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 40: Stuffing Balls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I only had a batch last week - now my favourite stuffing recipe. Thanks Bazmo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Did you use onions in your second batch?

I did. We ate some with our dinner tonight and they were gorgeous. I will definitely be adding apple and orange zest again, the combination was great. I added lots of extra thyme and black pepper to the other ones, also fecken gorgeous! Thanks for a great and easy recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

The stuffing balls are a Christmas tradition in our house now too! We make them with pork and apple sausages (from Tesco or M&S) and roast them in goose fat with a little bit of the turkey juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The stuffing balls are a Christmas tradition in our house now too! We make them with pork and apple sausages (from Tesco or M&S) and roast them in goose fat with a little bit of the turkey juices.

Pork and Apple. That sounds lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've just made a batch of these, thanks for the recipe. I did one batch as per your instructions and then another batch with a grated apple, orange zest and fresh nutmeg. I've put the whole lot into the freezer on a tray for enthusiastic consumption later in the week.

Just tried this version - very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

make my stuffing balls just with sausage meat, finely diced onion, lots of sage, breadcrumbs and seasoning.

They're yum (and I always freeze them in batches uncooked).

However, these sound DIVINE - I'm going to try them this weekend - thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just have to give a heads up to Bazmo and these infamous Stuffing Balls.

They're now a regular feature of every Sunday roast here - regardless of the meat we serve them with.

I've simplified their preparation by:

1. Buying Jumbo sausages.
    2. With a sharp knife, a single incision along each sausage makes it easy to extract the meat contained within.
    3. Everything is then thrown into a food processor and blitzed.

Thanks Bazmo! :)

Cheers Gloomtastic!

I've also started to slit the sausages with a knife instead of trying to squeeze them out. Much easier way to do it and it was my OH that suggested it. You can also buy packs of sausage meat too if you want to go super quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Going to make these this year. Just a quick question, the sausages in the pictures are in big chunks. Is everything wrapped around the sausages with these as the middle of the balls or do the sausages get broken up further

thomasm wrote: »
    Going to make these this year. Just a quick question, the sausages in the pictures are in big chunks. Is everything wrapped around the sausages with these as the middle of the balls or do the sausages get broken up further

Everything gets squished together. Use your hands to make sure all the ingredients are mixed up fully, that's why kids love this recipe. A good tip is to leave the sausages out of the fridge while you're getting all the ingredients prepped. This stops your hands turning to ice while mixing together.

I'm actually making a big batch of these today to have ready to go next weekend. I'll just freeze them in batches and take them out the day before and form them into balls. Saves a lot of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Made a big batch of these to bring to my Mam's for Christmas dinner! My OH has a gluten intolerance so used Aldi's gluten free sausages and Lidl's gluten free bread. Was going by memory and forgot the egg but they bound together fine and my tester bit didn't fall apart. Put them in the freezer last night and into bags this morning - can't wait to eat them ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Big batch in freezer ready to go. Made up a couple of testers first. Seriously nice, can't wait to roll em in gravy, thanks for posting

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'll be down in Kerry this year with the in laws. So no major cooking for me. Mother in law rang tonight. Wanted me to make stuffing balls, baz style, and a batch of roasties. Hey, if the lady is doing the bird, I oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

heading to Aldi this evening to pick up some sausage meat and this year im thinking of making some like a meat loaf.

cook it in a tray or tin then slice it, reckon it might be perfect for sambos .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

blueshed wrote: »
    heading to Aldi this evening to pick up some sausage meat and this year im thinking of making some like a meat loaf.

cook it in a tray or tin then slice it, reckon it might be perfect for sambos .

It might just sag down to a flat pancake. Roll it in some tinfoil, twist the ends together. Put in the fridge for a couple of hours before roasting for an hour or so. Leave in the tinfoil until cold. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Daintydoll1

Awesome recipe thanks so much...always great to be able to prep as much as possible before the big day! I'm currently freezing a batch on a baking tray - can I just ask is it ok to pop them in to freezer bags once frozen through or what is the best way to store them?

Awesome recipe thanks so much...always great to be able to prep as much as possible before the big day! I'm currently freezing a batch on a baking tray - can I just ask is it ok to pop them in to freezer bags once frozen through or what is the best way to store them?

I just freeze them in freezer bags, see pic below.

Then just leave them in the fridge the night before to defrost. It's important to spread them thin in the freezer bags so that they freeze and defrost quickly.

On the day I just cut open the bag(s) and score them in half, half again, etc. until they're divided into 16 even balls. I find that this is the quickest way to do them when strapped for time.

404516.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Daintydoll1

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I just freeze them in freezer bags, see pic below.

Then just leave them in the fridge the night before to defrost. It's important to spread them thin in the freezer bags so that they freeze and defrost quickly.

On the day I just cut open the bag(s) and score them in half, half again, etc. until they're divided into 16 even balls. I find that this is the quickest way to do them when strapped for time.

404516.JPG

Thanks so much! That makes more sense than making them into balls and freezing them then which is what I did🙈 I'll allow loads of time to defrost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Stuffing balls done, ready to go for tomorrow.... I'm drooling already 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Lisha wrote: »
    Stuffing balls done, ready to go for tomorrow.... I'm drooling already 😊

Mine are done too. Got the kids to help make them. Looking forward to the feast.
    Merry Christmas everyone!

• Advertisement

Making these this morning to go with out dinner. Happy Christmas folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭savemefrom

I'm i the only one that uses potatoes instead of breadcrumbs?

savemefrom wrote: »
    I'm i the only one that uses potatoes instead of breadcrumbs?

Huh? Potatoes? Really? Sounds a bit odd tbh.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Made these yesterday and omg they were amazing. Everyone loved them! Thanks a mill op!

These went down a treat on Christmas day. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

Had these Christmas day, really really good and can be amended further if required (I added chilli because I'm a bit odd)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We were discussing doing Christmas dinner this year before bed areir, and I wake up with a craving for these again. If you get an itch, scratch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Dearest Bazmo. I've just made a batch of these bad boys and they're in the freezer as we speak. Merry Christmas HoHoHo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Not made yet, but definitely on the menu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Mine are also in the freezer.
    I could honestly give a few extras of these instead of the turkey and nobody would mind.

Advertisement