Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 10: America style Pancake with maple syrup and bacon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I made these over the weekend but didn't have any bicarbonate of soda, so instead upped the baking powder to 1.5 tsp. Tasted lovely and were a real treat. Would there be much difference if I had used the bicarbonate of soda?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

These are now my family's favourite pancakes - beat the ordinary one's hands down and so much easier to make.
    Never seem to have buttermilk in though so always use ordinary s/skimmed milk.
    have a batch sat in the fridge ready for after school:D

My son loves choc spread melted on the top of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Had these this morning substituted full milk for buttermilk , "fabulously fluffy" is how the kids described them ,thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

We have a once a month pancakes for breakfast day at the instance of junior #1.

Had some left over cooked bacon from yesterday so crushed it up & once I'd poured the batter, sprinkled some over each one so that it cooked in (I also add maple syrup in place of part of the buttermilk to infuse the flavour).

Opened some sausage casings, took the meat out & made pattys, Did some additional bacon. Served with fresh made coffee.

Not a scrap left.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made these for breakfast this morning. We didn't have any bacon, but I added blueberries. It's a lovely recipe! The only thing I would change is that I would include a pinch of salt, particularly if you're not having bacon. I felt the batter needed the lift of salt. But otherwise they were great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Dinner here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

These were divine!

20130212_191211.jpg

Not pictured: the Nutella pancakes we had for dessert :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Made these today for lunch they were gorgeous. I didn't have any buttermilk so just added a bit of lemon juice to normal milk and they worked great.

rHKGVNql.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

nc6000 wrote: »
    That recipe is excellent with an over-ripe banana or two mashed into it. :)

Would you put the bananas into the batter mixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

We had these this morning, incredible. Perfect hangover cure for the OH after his work xmas do last night! They looked too good to stop and take photos before eating though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Guys could you make this the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm sure you could but doubt they'd taste as good. Crispy bacon would go soggy too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Made this today with blueberries. Thought I had maple syrup in the cupboard, but it was used up :( they were still tasty though!

9915558D-6366-41B4-B6A2-939E339011B8_zpsyu0hxyee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Had some of these for breakfast this morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Thanks for bumping this, gave me an idea for brunch today. No photos as we all gobbled up quicker than light! Nice crispy streaky bacon with Jakeman's pure Canadian maple syrup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Yippee.....I completed something from the cooking club :D

These are fantastic and a million times better than the ones I usually make

Thanks
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My kids and I love these, what fruit can I put in them, I usually have tined fruit or bananas.

Can I just add fruit to the mix or will it burn?

Also to save time I make one big one in the frying pan but I put one ladle in and let it reach its level before I add another ladle, this means I get a good thickness, if you tilt the pan like normal pancakes, you get crunchy biscuits!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My kids and I love these, what fruit can I put in them, I usually have tined fruit or bananas.

Can I just add fruit to the mix or will it burn?

Also to save time I make one big one in the frying pan but I put one ladle in and let it reach its level before I add another ladle, this means I get a good thickness, if you tilt the pan like normal pancakes, you get crunchy biscuits!

I sometimes add blueberries/raspberries to mine. I put the mix on the pan as normal and them drop the berries into them. I am sure you could add them into the mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just wondering could the batter for these be made up the evening before and stored in the fridge?

Going on a road trip on Sat morn and all are gathering in my house before we go and I would like to feed the gang before we hit the road. Made them last Saturday for the family and I never seen a plate to clear so quickly and quietly!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Just wondering could the batter for these be made up the evening before and stored in the fridge?

Going on a road trip on Sat morn and all are gathering in my house before we go and I would like to feed the gang before we hit the road. Made them last Saturday for the family and I never seen a plate to clear so quickly and quietly!

I've left it in the fridge covered for a couple of hours (2 or 3) but I've never left it overnight. I usually leave the butter out of the batter until I am about to cook the pancakes when I do it this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think you can make the mix the night before, but don't add the raising agents (powder and soda) until you are about to add to the heat. Otherwise they might lose some of their raising potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

I'm planning on making these for pancake Tuesday but couldn't find any bicarbonate soda in the shop today , is there anything I can use in its place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

ms_wobbly wrote: »
    I'm planning on making these for pancake Tuesday but couldn't find any bicarbonate soda in the shop today , is there anything I can use in its place?

It's just plain bread soda. If you are near an Aldi they have small tubs of bicarbonate of soda with their baking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

Ah sure I have bread soda, didn't realise it was the same thing. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I make these and then store them and use them for breakfast over a few days. I store in a tupperware box in the fridge and pop in the toaster before I serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

I've made these the last 2 weekend and have prity much followed the recipes to a T. Didn't have butter, but used a spread that suggested it was good for cooking. Thats the only real diff.

Love them :-)

But on both occasions I've had leftover batter(better off looking at it than for it....), which I've store in the fridge in an airtight container,
    but when I go to it it's laced with black dots. They seem to go a third of the way down into the batter.
    This happened in under 11 hrs as I copped it last night on a beer run....

Any ideas why this happens?

davidm20 wrote: »

But on both occasions I've had leftover batter(better off looking at it than for it....), which I've store in the fridge in an airtight container,
    but when I go to it it's laced with black dots. They seem to go a third of the way down into the batter.
    This happened in under 11 hrs as I copped it last night on a beer run....

Any ideas why this happens?

Hadn't heard of this to be honest but did a quick search and found this:

"Pancake batter will keep for 3 days, refrigerated. Little black dots may form on the batter’s surface on days 2 and 3 — they’re a harmless result of oxygenation."

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

emc2 wrote: »
    Hadn't heard of this to be honest but did a quick search and found this:

"Pancake batter will keep for 3 days, refrigerated. Little black dots may form on the batter’s surface on days 2 and 3 — they’re a harmless result of oxygenation."

Cheers,

Won't happen again I'm just going to use all the batter ;-)

Noticed this morning that both the baking powder and Bicarb are past their BB, only by a year but it could be something

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Really must make these soon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Claroc

I am coeliac would gluten free flour work in these does anyone know?

Advertisement