Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

cython wrote: »
    However, seeing as Wexford town was a trial location for this change, and since there are so many stories of people shopping there instead of Enniscorthy around here, the wider implementation of this initiative shouldn't really have been that much of a surprise.

Maybe.. but in my case it was.

cython wrote: »
    However if everyone took the attitude of insisting on the full amount of their rounded down change, while also accepting the rounded change when it's rounded up, the entire practice will be gone pretty quick, and I don't think that would be a positive move.

We've managed so far with getting our exact change. If you're entitled to ask for it back then I guess best allow the people to decide.
    kneemos wrote: »
    Should have made it compulsory anyway,everyone would have been used to it by now, instead nobody who's doing it and who's not.

Should have never introduced Mickey Mouse coins like 1, 2 and 5c in the first place is what they should have done.

Anyway... all good information... onwards and upwards amigos... the job has been jobbed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

well why doesn't everyone pay by card so the retailer cant screw you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

In the last month, I've had my shopping rounded down once, but rounded up 4 times If I keep going at this rate, I'll be out of pocket by around 80c by the end of the year. Where's Mick Wallace when you need him????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

You pay a fee to the bank for every debit card transaction - so you'll lose out
    In the last month, I've had my shopping rounded down once, but rounded up 4 times If I keep going at this rate, I'll be out of pocket by around 80c by the end of the year. Where's Mick Wallace when you need him????????

This makes sense because more often than not, things are priced at x.99 as opposed to x.91.

Carrying the coppers is a pain - I rarely used them and they end up lost in my house. Eventually, every couple of years I pay the coinstar machine 20% to turn them into real money.

ezra_ wrote: »
    You pay a fee to the bank for every debit card transaction - so you'll lose out

This makes sense because more often than not, things are priced at x.99 as opposed to x.91.

Carrying the coppers is a pain - I rarely used them and they end up lost in my house. Eventually, every couple of years I pay the coinstar machine 20% to turn them into real money.
    you also have to pay a fee for cash this was brought in for last budget to push people to pay by card

• Advertisement

i work as a rep and deal in cash, retailers try it with me also and if i'm down in my lodgement i have to make it up out of my own pocket, not all are bad though and some days i'm usually up a few cent so it generally balances out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

ezra_ wrote: »

QUOTE]

And if you buy, for example, 3 items at 2.99 each = €8.97, this will get rounded down to €8.95 and you've screwed the greedy shop owner out of €0.02c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Personally I never viewed it as a matter of greed, only a matter of principal.

Over the years, well before this initiative, I might say "don't worry about the change" or "put it in the poor box" if it were a few cent. Even times when shops haven't had sufficient coinage I'd say "don't worry about it". But if I was a cent short, a lot of places would refuse to sell me goods.

Xtravision shafted me a few times in the past - I might tell them to put the odd 50c or euro onto the account when their till was short of coins. Come back a fortnight later, no credit on the account.

Was in Subway in Wexford recently and they made a right cock-up* of the order. Then, when it came time to pay, I was 15c short due to their blunder. Do you think they would sell my the food.... €15+ of food went in the bin and I'll never set foot in there again.

I can't stand 1, 2 and 5c coins, but I wish shops would have a little leniency in the opposite direction instead of worrying that their till adds up to the exact cent at the end of the day.. or over it.

* Giving out vouchers for double meat - then telling us "oh, that applies to 6 inch subs only. i know the voucher has absolutely no information that informs you of that condition, but my manager told me that's the rule we're applying at this store"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Tried this http://www.smartvote.ie/ for a laugh after hearing about it on the Right Hook tonight. Interestingly the Green Candidate came out on top and Mick Wallace at the bottom. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Tried this http://www.smartvote.ie/ for a laugh after hearing about it on the Right Hook tonight. Interestingly the Green Candidate came out on top and Mick Wallace at the bottom. :D

That's because there is no scoring/points for Wallace on the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lads, the war is over.

5 cent isn't going to kill us off.

Ye'll be telling me that ye eat foodstuffs past its use by date next

More bad news tonight - Burgermac on Abbey Quay (currently closed) is not to reopen; the new Italian shop Sublime Italian Food on Market Square may also already be finished-up; the Unique Boutique on Main Street has closed down and another recently opened shop may also be at the end of the road.

With Xtravision in Gorey just closed down our own shop can't be far behind. More details shortly. Retail meltdown brought to you by Wexford County Council amongst others - remember this when people come looking for your vote. :(

Forgot to mention that - apparently - there was a shooting in the town last night.

More bad news tonight - Burgermac on Abbey Quay (currently closed) is not to reopen; the new Italian shop Sublime Italian Food on Market Square may also already be finished-up; the Unique Boutique on Main Street has closed down and another recently opened shop may also be at the end of the road.

With Xtravision in Gorey just closed down our own shop can't be far behind. More details shortly. Retail meltdown brought to you by Wexford County Council amongst others - remember this when people come looking for your vote. :(

And one of the few councils NOT to reduce property tax, one of the few councils that cannot manage finances, one of the few councils spending money on unnecessary roadworks and not spending it on roads that need doing.

All points to absolute crap councillors

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I heard Atina's in Templeshannon might not reopen after the flooding either.We may as well put a CLOSED sign on the roads into the town soon.

vicwatson wrote: »
    And one of the few councils NOT to reduce property tax, one of the few councils that cannot manage finances, one of the few councils spending money on unnecessary roadworks and not spending it on roads that need doing.

All points to absolute crap councillors
    also worst county in the country for gritting roads during the big freeze

also worst county in the country for gritting roads during the big freeze

Wouldn't have the money for that, only have it for new roads that don't need redoing

Work going on in Burgermacs,maybe it is re-opening.The boutique on Main St. seems to be getting new tenants having closed last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

The jist of the petition is as follows..

A picture of the proposed flag pole emerged on social media not so long ago, apparently by James Browne. While some people are in favour, there was also some disagreement in facebook circles as to the design and what should be there, some in agreement that there are better designs or ways to honour the people of 1916 and that replacing the bird fountain didn't necessarily mean a 1916 monument had to placed there either. The petition was started and as of Tuesday 26th, the general public were made aware of the plans (in the Enniscorthy Echo)

Emails were sent to Browne and co. to explain the "consultation" process. So far, no adequate response has been received bar the claim that proper procedures have been followed. Browne claims an overwhelming majority are in favour of the new monument but who exactly is the "overwhelming majority"? It all seems to be an internal process with no apparent public consultation.

There is also the question of planning permission. (I couldn't say at this time whether permission was sought or required)

It should be clarified that the petition itself is not in protest at 1916 or an attempt to the deny them of an honour but it was initially felt that there are more suitable ways to honour them and finally, the petition has evolved as a protest against the rushed nature of the project and the political process involved.

Also, the echo piece insists that the project is going ahead despite petition (to rush it through as part of the celebration i suspect) but we feel that the more people who sign the petition the better, in an attempt to remind the powers that be (particularly coming up to election time) that we all should have a say in how the town looks and how it is run etc. I understand there a much more important things going on in the world but I don't know if this can be just ignored either.

Anyway, rant over for now.

• Advertisement

As expected Xtravision Enniscorthy is gone too.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2016/0127/763380-xtra-vision/

As expected Xtravision Enniscorthy is gone too.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2016/0127/763380-xtra-vision/

That will be 2 large empty units in Abbey Square now,I was told the rent on that place was horrendous.Amazed they stayed open so long but it was actually one of the busier Xtravisions in the country even if prices had become extortionate since HMV took them over.
    One shop worker in Market Square told me the other day that they never saw the town so quiet,they hadn't seen one customer between 9am and lunchtime.Even the Chinese discount store has stopped opening on Sundays but I suppose Dealz are taking all their business.

Even Dealz has gone quiet now that the novelty has worn off.

There won't be a closing down sale at Xtravision as they are stripping the shelves and crating up all the stock.

On the school 'walk' this morning I saw a young lad - half my age at least - slip on St.John’s Street and nearly come a cropper. No prizes for guessing what he slipped on, but having grown up in Bray I know all about the 'Doggy Doo Doo Two-Step' and manage to avoid such mishaps. Any chance that the Council would do something about the problem. No, thought as much. :mad:

At last some positive news - the scaffolding is coming down at the Athenaeum and at least it looks bright and cheery whatever about it's long term future.

iqxSMyn.jpg

Meanwhile the new Wilton Castle website http://wiltoncastleireland.com/ is well worth a visit. The accommodation looks superb and the prices are reasonably pitched for what's on offer. Prices seem better value than similar fare offered by the Landmark Trust.

12038419_902322996503955_6017723579609320069_n.jpg?oh=e6481aedd4299dd88b2e8179f221ba37&oe=57647984

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

On the school 'walk' this morning I saw a young lad - half my age at least - slip on St.John’s Street and nearly come a cropper. No prizes for guessing what he slipped on, but having grown up in Bray I know all about the 'Doggy Doo Doo Two-Step' and manage to avoid such mishaps. Any chance that the Council would do something about the problem. No, thought as much. :mad:

Surely it's dog owners who should do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Newstalk Breakfast is in town tomorrow,if you fancy some rhetoric with your Cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Am I the only one who didn't know there was a new state of the art running track and sports hub in Enniscorthy?

Moreso I didn't even know the road it was on linked the Ross road and the cherry orchard road.

Maybe it's just me but I've travelled in both roads load and never knew it existed and then when I tried to find out online exactly where it was I couldn't and ended up having to ring the town council offices!

We don't help ourselves I think sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

the kelt wrote: »
    Am I the only one who didn't know there was a new state of the art running track and sports hub in Enniscorthy?

Moreso I didn't even know the road it was on linked the Ross road and the cherry orchard road.

Maybe it's just me but I've travelled in both roads load and never knew it existed and then when I tried to find out online exactly where it was I couldn't and ended up having to ring the town council offices!

We don't help ourselves I think sometimes.

Heard of the track being built,never knew there was a through road there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Yep - the roundabout at the rugby club is one end. the other end is very easy to miss - it's about 150 yards from the Aldi r/about, on Cherryorchard.

Unfortunately, some houses on that road are very dilapidated - they can't be there that long.......

Advertisement