Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OS X Yosemite (10.10) - News and Discussion

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, I noticed a difference. Still the odd beachball on big apps but mostly runs pretty well. My machine only supports 3Gb/s which is a bit slower than new SSDs so I picked up a 120gb drive for £70 delivered iirc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A word of warning for anyone installing or running the DP: Don’t upgrade to iCloud Drive. Doing so will prevent apps in iOS 7 and Mavericks from syncing documents and data. There’s currently no way to downgrade, but I assume Apple will have to find a solution to this before releasing the public beta. Thankfully I only had a few apps using iCloud Documents and was able to switch to Dropbox easily enough. Dropbox is probably more reliable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

For what it's worth, I also saw some warnings about deleting of iCloud data for beta users, which happened on July 7th (and will likely happen again as new releases happen). It's worth bearing in mind that Apple considers data used by new features in beta software to be expendable. After all, if the data mattered, you wouldn't be using it with beta software...

Kevin

A word of warning for anyone installing or running the DP: Don’t upgrade to iCloud Drive. Doing so will prevent apps in iOS 7 and Mavericks from syncing documents and data. There’s currently no way to downgrade, but I assume Apple will have to find a solution to this before releasing the public beta. Thankfully I only had a few apps using iCloud Documents and was able to switch to Dropbox easily enough. Dropbox is probably more reliable anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

kevteljeur wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I also saw some warnings about deleting of iCloud data for beta users, which happened on July 7th (and will likely happen again as new releases happen). It's worth bearing in mind that Apple considers data used by new features in beta software to be expendable. After all, if the data mattered, you wouldn't be using it with beta software...

Kevin

Amen to that Kev, please anyone bear in mind what this upstanding gent is saying. If you call Apple about this, all they will do is refer you to the developer website and remind you of the T&C to which you agreed when you installed the beta!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I totally agree. However, I think you misunderstood my post. The wiping of CloudKit data that occured on Monday isn’t the issue, nor did I experience any data loss as a result. Such server wipes are normal during beta testing of new cloud services and shouldn’t result in data loss as iCloud will simply re-sync with your device’s local storage afterwards.

The issue I experienced is that DP3 upgrades your iCloud account to support iCloud Drive and in doing so completely disables the Documents & Data service. That doesn’t mean data loss, it means loss of iCloud’s document syncing service, meaning apps like Byword and even Apple’s own iWork apps can no longer sync documents using iCloud.

In fairness, upgrading to iCloud Drive is an option during the installation, but I don’t think Apple made the full implications of doing so clear. It’s not a huge issue for me as I don’t use Documents & Data for many apps and I can live without document syncing until the next server wipe, which I assume will reset everyone’s iCloud account. I was just warning anyone running the DP to be aware of this when installing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Sorry, that was intended as a helpful addendum, because some users might not be as aware of the fickle nature of developer releases. Apple routinely clears server data during beta release cycles, but they and developers tend to take that for granted, while that would be a bit of a shock for the casual user.

I have no doubt that you know what you're about!

Kevin

Edit: I just reread my original post and realised that it did come off a bit 'holier than thou'; The remark about using beta software I intended as Apple's attitude towards their beta releases!

I do think it's a fine line, which is why they didn't use to do this. However, their 10.x.0 releases have been buggy in real-world use, and since they are now free, I guess this is the trade-off.

I totally agree. However, I think you misunderstood my post. The wiping of CloudKit data that occured on Monday isn’t the issue, nor did I experience any data loss as a result. Such server wipes are normal during beta testing of new cloud services and shouldn’t result in data loss as iCloud will simply re-sync with your device’s local storage afterwards.

The issue I experienced is that DP3 upgrades your iCloud account to support iCloud Drive and in doing so completely disables the Documents & Data service. That doesn’t mean data loss, it means loss of iCloud’s document syncing service, meaning apps like Byword and even Apple’s own iWork apps can no longer sync documents using iCloud.

In fairness, upgrading to iCloud Drive is an option during the installation, but I don’t think Apple made the full implications of doing so clear. It’s not a huge issue for me as I don’t use Documents & Data for many apps and I can live without document syncing until the next server wipe, which I assume will reset everyone’s iCloud account. I was just warning anyone running the DP to be aware of this when installing.

Public beta is being released tomorrow.

If you haven't signed up yet you can do so here:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Public beta is being released tomorrow.

If you haven't signed up yet you can do so here:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Has anyone downloaded Yosemite beta yet? I really like it, but it still has a bit to go in terms of stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Been using it since Dp1. Easily the most stable over the last few years.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Been using it since Dp1. Easily the most stable over the last few years.

This is my first time running beta software for OS X, so I'm probably being a bit harsh! iOS 8 on the other hand has apparently had some of the most unstable beta versions in a few years I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yeah, haven't heard much in the way of anyone using iOS 8 in beta really, then again anything would pale to the madness around 7 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I tried iOS 8 beta 1 and it was actually worse than iOS 7 beta 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ios8 was pretty rough initially but it's stable enough to use daily now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

After just getting my rMBP now, and already I can't wait for Yosemite. It feels like using iOS6 after you're used to iOS7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There were no features in iOS 8 that made me run out to get the beta. I can wait for release. That said, I'm glad I installed Yosemite on my new rMBP. It's much nicer looking that the previous OS, though I did only spend about 2 hours using it.

On the new public beta. It's pretty good I have to say. In fact, I've been using it as my primary install all day and nothing has happened to suggest I'm running a beta. S'pretty smooth.*

*Not unlike myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

banquo wrote: »
    On the new public beta. It's pretty good I have to say. In fact, I've been using it as my primary install all day and nothing has happened to suggest I'm running a beta. S'pretty smooth.*

*Not unlike myself.

I'm wondering if I should switch over to the beta. How's the battery life fairing? I'd imagine it's not as optimised as mavericks.

It's not great. Not hugely worse than Mavericks, but noticeable.

Whoops, Parallels 9 won't open at all now.

• Advertisement

Beta 2 seems to have improved things. Some nice little changes as well.

Advertisement