Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

East Cork drama group looking for director

Options
  • 23-03-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Ballybridge Players Drama Group is based in the East Cork towns of Ballymacoda and Ladysbridge. Fairly new we have done 2 pantos and 1 two act play. We are members of the DLI. We have about 8-10 members and are always looking for more, but what we really need is someone who has experience in directing and can help us guide the group forward as we want to be able to put on more productions, not just pantos at Christmas.
    If you are interested in joining or would like more info please contact us.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ballybridge Players Drama Group

Is there no one out there who would like to direct?
    We have set builders and painters, pro, people willing to do backstage, on stage and front of house, a hall with a stage, someone who can do lights and sound......
    If you're not interested in panto we really want to do plays as well. We really need someone who can read a play and decide they want to put in on within a time frame and we will all rally behind you.
    We're not on the festival circuit so no pressure, its a very social group (we practice across from a pub!)
    But if we can't put on more productions we will end up calling it a day.......:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Are none of your own members prepared to direct, most groups have at least one person who would try if asked.
    Thw DLI have a summer school course, held in limerick each year. And there is nearly always a course on directing.

http://www.dli.ie/summerschoolcourses.htm

There are courses in Gormanstown too.
    http://www.stagewise.ie/wp-works/

My local group have an annual show consisting of extracts from plays and short sketches that allow members who have never directed or acted to try it out without having the pressure of doing a full 3act play.

Directing a play requires a huge commitment in terms of time, which I doubt someone who is not from your community would likely give freely, but I am sure you probably have someone already in your group who would like to give it a try but may be nervous of undertaking a full production.

Your alternative may be to hire in a professional director, but that can be expensive. (Groups on the circuit wouldn't use professionals as it is against the rules, but that isn't an issue for you )

we don't want to go down the paying route as its not fair to people who give their time for free, as well as not having the funds. We are looking into doing a workshop so that might turn up someone in the group. Our last play was a success but that director prefers to be on stage and isn't always available as he does alot with other groups. Hopefully something or someone will turn up......

:confused:

Thanks CLoW for PM but I can't contact you on that number, can you try again please

• Advertisement

We are doing a workshop so hopefully it might throw up a few people for directing.
    We are still on the lookout though for anyone who would like to join us to take on the roll.
    We will be doing a panto in January and are looking into doing a bit of Cafe theatre with 10min plays.
    We are always on the lookout for anyone who would like to join us onstage, backstage, front of house or just for the social side.

We have a director for our Pantomime.

But we are going to try to do a night with one act plays and 10 min plays in September. We will be having readings next Wednesday 3rd of July in Ballymacoda Hall at 8.30pm. Anyone interested in acting, directing or helping out front or backstage is invited to come. Some of the group are going to try to direct for the first time and we have a selection of comedy and drama scripts to read through.

If you are interested but would like more details please PM me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭PanaDrama

Hi are ye still going?

Hi

Yes we are still here and ticking away. We didn't do the panto but did a show last September and a Murder Mystery in Feb/Mar this year.
    We are having a script reading night in Ballymacoda Hall on Wednesday 2nd July at 8.30pm. Hopefully we will put on something in September/October.
    We don't have an experienced director as yet but most members of our small group are trying it out.
    We are always looking for new members in any area, so if anyone would like more details PM me and I will get in touch.

Thank you

Script reading night in Ballymacoda Hall meeting room at 8.30pm on Monday 7th July, hopefully to do a show in Sept/Oct.
    Anyone interested in joining a drama group in any capacity is welcome.
    for further details please pm me
    thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement