Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law Firm Big 5 Salaries 2012

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BW1

Surinam wrote: »
    MOP - 36k
    McCann- 36k but I think this rises through the three yeas of traineeship
    William Fry - 37k this year
    A&L - 35k
    Arthur Cox - 32/33k
    Maples - 40k

The above are only what I've heard from people in college who got offered TC's this year. Some firms do bonuses based on performance too.

I'd advise people to get to know firms better before choosing based on perks of the job like pay etc. - for example, you have to like the people you'll be working with too!

I've heard that Maples training contract is 48,000 and NQ is 60,000. I don't have a primary source for this but I do know they pay the most. Arthur Cox also offer 5k for additional education if you can sell it well to them.

More interestingly - Does anyone know about salaries in the outside of big 5 firms - ByrneWallace or Mason Hayes & Curran? I believe Eversheds is 30k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Eversheds is 27 and MHC afaik is 34. Now I've seen alot of figures thrown around and some seem seriously suspect. In and around 36k seems to be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

BW1 wrote: »
    I've heard that Maples training contract is 48,000 and NQ is 60,000. I don't have a primary source for this but I do know they pay the most. Arthur Cox also offer 5k for additional education if you can sell it well to them.

I am under the impression that one needs not "sell" the 5k education support but that it is expected you will engage in further education to better yourself during the course of the traineeship.

I think it's a good initiative for the firm - win/win for them and trainees.

ananas wrote: »
    Eversheds is 27 and MHC afaik is 34. Now I've seen alot of figures thrown around and some seem seriously suspect. In and around 36k seems to be the norm.

34k is a very respectable sum from MHC if it's correct - I guess it's illustrative of their growth and ambition.
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    I am under the impression that one needs not "sell" the 5k education support but that it is expected you will engage in further education to better yourself during the course of the traineeship.

I think it's a good initiative for the firm - win/win for them and trainees.

Yeah absolutely - I understand you just need to demonstrate how it will be beneficial to you and them. It's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

BW1 wrote: »
    34k is a very respectable sum from MHC if it's correct - I guess it's illustrative of their growth and ambition.

Yeah absolutely - I understand you just need to demonstrate how it will be beneficial to you and them. It's a great idea.

MHC is 27/8K, not 34K.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

It's really annoying that they don't advertise their salaries like the UK firms instead of everyone speculating as to what they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

ananas wrote: »
    It's really annoying that they don't advertise their salaries like the UK firms instead of everyone speculating as to what they actually are.

It's a feature of Irish law firms in general. The UK in fairness is a different league in terms of graduate recruitment to the Irish firms; with amount of firms, type of firms and of course, wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dylankay

Also, AC salary goes up year on year, expect to be on 38k by year 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hopefullegal

Do MOPs and A and L go up yr on yr? Also I've read on some of the big 5 websites that they have profit shares and exam bonuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Just wondering as to the anomaly of the the Big 5 threads that appear on Boards.ie

Given that one long long thread is mainly about rejections from the large Firms coupled with this one seemingly about Job offers from all 5 and the options of picking which one of the 5 firms people would consider accepting their offer of an apprenticeship.

The question being how many in total would the big 5 hire take on in any one year as Apprentice Solicitors. 100/200/ much more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 hopefullegal

I get the impression they hire roughly 20-30 a year each so 100 to 150 total.

Do MOPs and A and L go up yr on yr? Also I've read on some of the big 5 websites that they have profit shares and exam bonuses?

Which firms do profit sharing schemes and exam bonuses?

Advertisement