Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallowed up in the mist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Your best 8 races over the previous 2 years. More points go to longer, more climb and rough terrain.

Avonbeg x 2, Dublin Mountain Plod, Powerscourt Ridge, Wicklow Way Trail... All nice points scorers as they are long.

As far as I remember, you were slagging me that I might have the speed, but you have the endurance. The points favour having lots of endurance over mountains over speed on a short trail race, so you have an advantage.

As long as your top 8 races are better than his, that'll put you ahead.

(by the way, you ran a serious amount (27) of IMRA races last year)

(edit: Thomas Galvin knocked out 39 races... eek)

Didn't go for a run last night. I rested.

This morning, I came across this.

It made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ocnoc wrote: »
    It made my day.
    Brilliant! :D

Thinking of mountains all day.
    Stick to the teeth of the flat promenade out to Bull Island. I need something steep and gammy, preferably something that will make me scared.

Pulled my last years IMRA number out of the side pocket of my bag when looking for a pen. Made me smile.

Exams, please f*** off so I can go back to my mountains

I was looking at my calender for the summer and the key word is CLASH.

All the hill races I want to do clash with important orienteering events.

The Euro Trial and Mullaghcleevaun clash with Jukola (CNOC 1)

Snowdon clashes with the CISM World Military Games in Brazil with also clashes with Nav Challenge 1.

Following this, Nav Challenge 2 clashes with the Scottish 6 Day (which will be awesome), which clashes with Galtymore, which clashes with the World Orienteering Championships training in France.

The World Orienteering Championships themselves clashes with The World Trial (IMRA) and the 3rd Nav Challenge.

And finally, the biggest clash. The World Orienteering Championships end the day of Stone Cross to Lug Relay.

At this moment in time, my priorities are
    1. Jukola
    2. CISM
    3. Get Selected for WOC Sprint (although, this is out of my hands)

I may be forced to go further afield for my dirty fix

• Advertisement

Since the IOC relays (22 days), I have run 7 times.
    This was a rest period. I can now start to rebuild and work on some of my weaknesses.

Today was a session in the park. I did the session on the twisty trails at avg 3:20min/k pace. Keeping her country. 2mins on, 1min off, 1min on, 30sec off, 30sec on, 30sec off; repeat.
    In the middle of winter when I was getting in a lot of pain, I was bashing out 6 of these at a minimum. Today I only did 3 to ease myself back into it.

The legs felt ok. Not amazingly sharp, but not too bad considering the lay off. The lungs still have a bit of capacity, so I haven't lost much there either.

The next two weeks will be a build phase to ease body back into abuse mode.
    Then we'll be in a hold world of hurt.

Bring it

Legs know we had a little bit of a session last night.

Cruised out to Bull Island, wee loop and home again. In the distance all the peaks stood out against the cloud cover.

On route home, all I could think above was descending Carrauntoohil. I was remembering lines in the terrain and where I could have been more aggressive. Also debated what risks I would take if I was in a pack coming off the last descent. I can see my route already :cool:

Even I think some of my lines are taking the piss on the risky side of the line.

I know I posted this on the IMRA thread already, but i just think its so cool. God knows how long/how much it took to make.

Sky running seems really cool. Granted, a lot of it is on trails, but it is at least vaguely technical.
    I think if I wanted to excel at technical international races, I'd want to be living in the alps to train at altitude the whole time....

Hold on, that sounds like I was making excuses.
    To the Reeks or Connemara or The Mournes!! :cool:

Excuses are for second place

Bailed from college at 1900...

Went out Bull Island and did a 15min tempo into the wind.... sweeeeet.

This training **** is addictive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

ocnoc wrote: »
    Bailed from college at 1900...

Went out Bull Island and did a 15min tempo into the wind.... sweeeeet.

This training **** is addictive!

Running into the wind is where it's at today, kudos. Whats the elevation like at this Bull island?;)

^ I'm regretting posting that already!

Whats the elevation like at this Bull island?

I duno man... It got fairly intense at one stage. I had to power over this bump in the grass. It was crazy. Almost kacked my pants coming down the far side of the bump. Scary scary stuff. I just about held it together though.
    I reckon I climbed a good 2,500mm

It'll stand to me, it has to :D

Seriously though, running into the wind is awesome training. Ditto running on the sand. My quickest I was as a kid 100 years ago, I spent three weeks of the summer just training barefoot on a beach in Kerry. When I took that training to a race in Belfield, it made such a difference, couldn't keep the speed down.

Yes and no.
    Its good to have variety in your training.
    Yes running on sand/into the wind is good resistance training and will make you stronger, but this must also be knitted with faster sessions so your legs get used to turning over faster. You have to build muscle memory. Once the legs remember how to turn over fast, its easier to keep near max speed up on a descent.

Someone once said to me, train on what you intend to race on.
    I could train in sanddunes all my life and get strong but when it comes to running on a mountain, wouldn't have the climbing endurance from just running in the long grass and soft sand?

During the Winter, maybe 30% of my sessions will be done on sand as the IOC are on Inch next year. Build muscle memory.

All my early season results this year were because of running on the hills at least once every week regardless throughout the winter. Last winter, I didn't do that and it showed in my under performance in all the climbing on the races.

Ditto for Stone Cross to Lug. I had spent 2 months training in terrain in Sweden/Norway. I was as strong as an ox, although my top end speed suffered slightly I would imagine.

Train smart on what you intend to race on and reap the rewards of consistent top class performances

Today, was epic.
    24.8km with 1,210m climb.

Lash on heading past Taylors
    Caught Keith Daly heading up Fairy Castle
    Running at horizontal to the ground towards Tibradden
    Close call with splitting my self on the drop to Cruagh Wood
    Climb to Cruagh Mountain was class
    Climb to Glendoo Mountain was gammy (yet fun)
    Over to Cloghnagun I was lost in mountain running pure bliss
    Onwards to Prince Williams Seat was sloppy
    Down the WW to river was horrible. I hate fire road. At this point, I got tired. No food or water.... woops

Decided to man the F up and do a straight lined to Taylors rock through the terrain to prepare mentally for a gammy climb when tired. Happy with how I handled it.

Descending Two Rock, stubbed my toe, shock down my arm, vision blurry. Decided to call it a day. 2hrs27mins. Walked the downhill 5km to the bus.

Awesome. So totally fcuked!! :D

In future, for runs +2hrs, bring food + water + map.
    Was glad I had my over trousers and spare thermal.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88371065

I have found a partner for the Rogaine... Hill V Hill... Its gona be great :D

Reading one of the British teams training logs.
    He was complaining that today was his 3rd run this week that he had to train by himself.

Centralised training centers must be awesome. Having all the facilities on your doorstep. Must make life very easy.

My training partner pulled out of todays session, approx 30mins before I was due to leave. Then I thought about it, why bother dragging people out when they are not willing to take personal responsibility for there own training?

Why should it be up to someone else to drag them out to do a session, or a long run in less that perfect weather? Why waste time and effort in trying to get someone else fit when that time can be better spent either training yourself or recovering both mentally and physically.

Its a question that has been nagging me all winter. After 2 weeks, I stopped nagging people to go training and just said I am leaving at this time, and left it at that. Sometimes they showed up, sometimes they didn't.

However, they did show up every time without fail in one place - at the bottom of the results list.

I have been watching a lot of Killians Quest on the Spanish Mountain runner.
    All very motivating.

I decided myself to go back to what I built all my running strength on.
    Bun Hill.

Its a small hill that used to be an ex firing range for the British Army on the Curragh. The climb is only 25m over 110m but it is a brutal climb if take in correctly. Its a series of steps. The first step is about 1m, then it ramps up to the first steep earth bank, then you have a "break" of 20m, before it kicks up sharply again, then it levels out before a final 1m step in the ground, you turn around, drop off to the ramp to the side and go again.

This was the only training I did for a few years. Bike out and rep till we drop. Racing up and down it. It built leg strength and increased V02max. An awesome session.

I hadn't been to Bun Hill in a long time and was unsure what my body could handle so I decided on a 20min session.
    Rep as much as possible in 20mins. The plan wasn't to flog myself, but to use the session as a gauge to see where I stood.

Running out I was nervous, returning to the stomping ground where a hell of a lot of pain was inflicted, I wasn't sure what to expect.
    Took the first one easy, then got into the flow. 20mins later, I had managed to complete 14 reps. I toyed around with the idea of going for 20 reps but I decided against it, thats for another day.

All in all a good session. One that gives me confidence about my climbing strength and overall shape as Jukola slowly but surely approaches.

15k, 415m climb

I edited my HR ranges today.
    Instead of working off of 85%, 60% etc of Max heart rate, I am now taking the Heart rates directly from my Vo2 max readings.
    For instance, 60% of my max heart rate 132, however, my heart rate at 60% of my Vo2max is 147.

We'll see what happens. I know how my body operates and what the right intensity feels like, its just for my own number crunching pleasure.

• Advertisement

Morning run out around the Curragh
    Evening run out to Bull Island

Beginning to feel better and better in training.
    Will be interesting to see how my body reacts to tomorrow.... 2-3 sessions :D

Wee bit of a sesh in the park. I enjoy pain. My partner, not so much.
    10 6's. Feel the burrrrn

Home, shower, leftovers in lunch box, on the train, necked a coffee, scoffed the pasta, got picked up at train station, ended up in Hillwood.
    Sweeet orienteering session.

Maybe pushed a little too hard in places, but my mind set, is that if I'm in terrain, I push hard. Tried to keep in country, but some parts were just so much fun and there were people in the forest that I wanted to drop... Just a good buzz. Freegin love well planned O.

7.5km, 300m climb, 40mins. F yeah

Yesterday I was a ball of stress. I was convinced someone was going to be a tool and wreck themselves and I'd have to call mountain rescue and my street cred would be ruined. Ruined I tell ya!
    I now see why PN was going a shade of white before the start of Avonbeg.
    Personal responsibility is fine, been responsible for people that aren't your own two legs adds an extra dimension to stuff than can go wrong.

I was so stressed, I only had the one coffee all day... then a second at 21:30, after/during the prize giving.

Morning run (2pm...its a students morning) on the Curragh, kept it country.
    HR was stupidly low. As in 20bpm below what it should be!

Lately, I feel as if I have this extra gear in the bag. Can't wait to use it.

Evening run... Bit of a tempO session, with emphasis on the O.
    Said I'd do 20min hard, did 11 but chest and lungs were sore and not in the good pain kinda way.
    Called it a day and jogged home.

Will only do the one tomorrow morning, then off to West Cork... a b.e.a.u.t.iful part of the world.
    Gona be a savage weekender. Can't wait! :D

Shamrocking and rolling.
    Down the Sheeps head penisalla for the weekend for the biannual Shamrock Oringen. Three days of top class orienterring.
    Day 1 was a Middle distance (6.5k/140m), Day 2 a Classic Distance (9.7k/420m) and Day 3 a Chasing Start (8.4k/310m).

The concept of the chasing start is that the person with the fastest time over the first days starts first. Then the rest of the field start behind the winner whatever time they are behind after the two days and first across the line wins.
    It is the best format of orienteering. Really enjoyable.

I ran **** on day 1, dropped 8mins (ie was lost for 8mins). It was extremely warm and I struggled with both the heat and the terrain. I was last of the CNOC army. This annoyed me.

Day 2 was better. It was a long and I ran cleanly. Dropped less than 2mins total. This run was 2nd best CNOC run and set me up as 3rd CNOC runner over all. I was 8min down on the lead 3.

So day 3 I started 8mins down, caught my 20sec man. Caught my 3min man. Caught my 7min man. They all mucked up.

Basically came down to a show down between myself and a second CNOC runner. I had more speed at the end and got a little lucky.
    Somehow finished 3rd.

Happy days :D

The more I train, I luckier I get... win.

Time to recover now and prepare mentally for the Wicklow Way. Its gona be great.

No WOC for me. I'm first reserve.
    This changes my summer every so slightly.

Spending an extended amount of time in Scotland.
    Mourne Mountain Marathon is now on the cards.

Stone Cross is back on the cards.
    Nav Challenge 3 is back on the cards.

Now I just need this trail race to end so I can get back to the open mountain stuff and to flog myself.

Legs in bits. What a legend of a weekend.
    Win.

Accidently did a double run today.
    Morning session with TP 1, did 10x30sec with the wind in our backs to stretch out the legs. Felt good.

Evening session was a O sesh on the Curragh. A 100 control monster! We only did 50 due to been nackered.

However, there was this cool replay software called 3D reRun...

You can watch Kev and myself go head to head. This would also work for proper Mountain, ie ones with a bit of route choice!!

Might get a few GPX files from Avonbeg and lash them together. Should make interesting viewing... Or even better, the Nav Challenge!

Technology Junky.... :D

• Advertisement

3D ReRun is AWESOME software!!!!

Advertisement