Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wingsuit Flying - Anyone interested?

• 12-03-2012 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

So I've decided to dedicate a good amount of my time and resources to learning Skydiving and Wingsuit flying over the next year or so...

I have a few friends who are gonna do some of this with me. Some are just gonna come for the Tandem jump, others are gonna get licensed up a few levels aswell, but I havn't found anyone willing/interested in eventually learning wingsuit after I've completed 150 jumps.

I'm starting from scratch, so anyone who's interested in joining us to get licensed, or possibly eventually learn wingsuit (Which will be training for atleast 2+ weeks in France since they don't teach wingsuit here in Ireland), let me know :)

Our Tandem jump will most likely be the 28th of April, and then I'll be started level 1 - 7 AFF training in late May/early June.

I would hope to be trained and complete my 150+ jumps by Mid August and then continue onto wingsuit training after that.

So if your interested in joining us, send me an email for more information :)

Email: JackCreane@hotmail.com

PS. This isn't going to be a short process, or a cheap one. But if you have time and are willing to spend some money, this could be a good time to do something you've always wanted to do :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

If only I had the money to do something as awesome as this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Rane

Here's a good graph to show the steps that we'll be taking in order to complete all the training :)

http://wingsuitschool.com/learn_wingsuit.gif

We'll be taking the Quick route with Accelerated Freefall training :)

Here's a different video I found with some highly experienced Wingsuit flyers from Phoenix Fly and AdrenalinBase, amazing stuff:

http://vimeo.com/35368665

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

I'm starting from scratch, so anyone who's interested in joining us to get licensed, or possibly eventually learn wingsuit (Which will be training for atleast 2+ weeks in France since they don't teach wingsuit here in Ireland), let me know :)

They do teach wingsuiting in Ireland.There are a few Phoenix-Fly Wingsuit Coaches (PFC's) up at the IPC.Here is a link to their facebook page.http://www.facebook.com/?sk=welcome#!/pages/Wingsuit-Ireland/234590703282982
    It might save you some money:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's a lot of jumps to get in. Think you may have to change your timeline.

That's awesome celtic-chick thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of this!
    And since I'm planning on doing mostly all my training with IPC it's good to hear they have people experienced in Wingsuit :)

And yeah Ted my timeline may be a bit off, but we've decided to do the Tandem sooner hopefully so that I can have AFF completed sooner, then dedicate most of the summer to getting my solo dive count up to the requirements. I'll be putting alot of time into this so hopefully the timeline should be doable.
    But I'm in no rush, I'd rather have it done right than quick :)

Thanks for all the comments so far :)

• Advertisement

If you have your heart set on doing AFF.I would skip doing the tandem & go straight to doing the level 1 of the AFF.That way you will know if you like it or not & you would have your first level completed:)

I dunno ha, level 1 AFF is a dive with 2 instructors guiding you in air about stuff yeah??

Think I'd rather do my first one tandem just to get used to the general feeling of it all before I'm required to release the parachute and stuff myself.

Would be cool during the tandem if I could get used to controlling/guiding the parachute for a little while after release aswell. I think that would make it more likely for me to complete level 1 with ease.

Besides already got a few friends wanting to come for the tandem with me to be there for the start of the journey, and if they enjoy it possibly continue with me through AFF :)

Are you a member of IPC?? :)

No i'm not a member of the IPC my husband is.He is also one of the wingsuit coaches:)

Good luck with your tandem & AFF.They are all a nice bunch of people up at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

You'll find plenty of people on the same wavelength as you once you get jumping after your AFF. Good to have lofty goals Dude! Definitely one of the best and most refreshing hobbies out there - nothing like the first jump after a few months, blows the cobwebs away nicely :)

Keep in mind there are lots of other busier DZs around Europe where you can make lots of jumps over shorter amounts of time than are logistically possible in Ireland. But you'll come across all that yourself............

Just enjoy

Blue skies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Seriously man, get yourself very experienced in skydiving before you look to do the wingsuit stuff. You've set yourself a very high standard. It's tough to do that in Ireland if only for the weather.

Tandem is nothing, most wingsuiters are at the high end of the experience levels.

You will have to go to France or Spain or the US to get your experience level up to standard.

If you seriously want to do this you need to forget the rest of your life. I know a lot of skydivers. They have no life outside their obsession.

I've watched a wingsuiter leave my aircraft. it's amazing to watch. You can wave to them as they formate with you for a moment.

• Advertisement

Hey Xflyer :)
    Yeah I'm very aware of the intensity that it's going to require to get to wingsuit level. But I'm only 20 years old, I've got plenty of time to go through all the necessary steps to get there, and once I'm there to get even better. Also with the career I'm in I have a lot of spare time to dedicate to put towards learning a time intensive skill such as this one. So I don't think I'll have any issues getting this done. I've done my research and I know everything I need to do and how long/difficult it will be, and I'm still certain of doing it all.

And yeah declanmoffit, I think I'll definitely head off on some 1 or 2 week holidays to various other DZ's to get more jumps quicker and experience some jumps in different climates and stuff as well before learning Wingsuit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justin_lucas

Hey, I would agree with Celtic-Chick, and not go with the tandum. With the tandum you wont be controlling anything.. just sitting there. Its grand if you just want to get used to the feel of free-fall but after that.. it wont do anything for your planned learning curve.

Just finished my Level 1 over the weekend and was a blast.. 1 days training then you get to jump. Weather will be your biggest problem. (if you have the funds)

Am interested in doing something like what you are planning but ill be taking a bit longer to do it.

Best of luck with it.. might see you out in the DZ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Hi Rane,

I jump at the IPC and there are experienced wingsuit coaches there who are running the first fly course (FFC) at the moment.

I could be wrong (someone correct me if I am), but I think the requirement to start the course is 500 jump min or 200 in a 1.5 year period. It could vary depending on the course/coach (think the lads in the IPC are Phoenix fly).

Getting to 200 jumps living in Ireland is very difficult and you'll need more than 2/3 weeks away to help achieve this. You'll need ideal weather to get through you're AFF course alone as you'll be on student status.

All going well I might do the course in September if I can get plenty of jumps in over the Summer.

Good luck with your AFF.

PS there are plenty of other things you can do on route to 200 jumps (relative work for example). You might get into that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

*tracking - skydiving that's going places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Danny.B

If its wingsuits your into then check this out, it has to be the best flight ever filmed by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Danny.B wrote: »
    If its wingsuits your into then check this out, it has to be the best flight ever filmed by a mile

great youtube. looks great fun but not for the faint hearted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Danny.B

the fella that made that crashed in janunary at the same jump site and got multipe fractures

lucky to be alive

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedFly

Declan, the requirement is 200 jumps.

Celtic-Chick, who is your husband? Can I assume it's Liam? ;)

Rane, I am a skydiver, wingsuiter and a member of the IPC. I am not a FFC or PF coach.
    I did my first wingsuit jump 9 months after my first skydive and have done quite a few since. ( Here's my first wingsuit jump, a little boring to look at, just doing exercises to pass the course https://vimeo.com/29118931 )

My advice.

1) Become a very competent skydiver and canopy pilot. I spent a LOT of money doing canopy courses and learning everything I could about actually flying.

2) Learn as much as you can about your gear. I have a wingsuit modification to my rig and wore my wingsuit around the DZ for a while. I also had my first cutaway on jump 73 which scared me enough to want to learn more about my gear and emergency procedures. Wingsuiting is a different animal and is subject to different malfunctions.

3) Go somewhere that's not Ireland. I travel around the world going to different DZs. Chasing the weather :) Most of my jumps were done in Florida.

4) Get wingsuiting out of your mind for now. There's a LOT to learn about skydiving before you are going to be ready. It's going to take time. If you do it in Ireland, it's going to take a LOT of time. I've dropped wingsuiting for a bit while I learn more about different styles of flying. All of which will help my wingsuiting.

5) Join the IPC and speak to the coaches there. They know everything there is to know about wingsuiting and can give you better advice on a progression path than you'll get here on the internet.

6) If you have a wife or kids, forget it. If you PLAN on having a wife or kids with someone outside of the skydiving world, forget it. The biggest surprise to me when I started was how close the skydiving community is around the world. LITERALLY, everyone knows everyone. It's very easy to get COMPLETELY sucked in.

7) Most skydivers try wingsuiting when they are ready. MANY realize that it's not for them. MANY find it boring (I can SOMEWHAT relate).

Finally, those videos are wingsuit proximty flying. A variation of base jumping. Don't mean to burst your bubble but you will NOT be proxiimity flying after anywhere NEAR 200 jumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

6) If you have a wife or kids, forget it. If you PLAN on having a wife or kids with someone outside of the skydiving world, forget it. The biggest surprise to me when I started was how close the skydiving community is around the world. LITERALLY, everyone knows everyone. It's very easy to get COMPLETELY sucked in.
    Never a truer word spoken.

In fact most of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

I love your attitude Rane , you will fit in well in the IPC . Im an AFF instructor so im sure ill bump into you down there .

My advice for you when you have such definite goals is skip the tandem and go straight to AFF . I think the next AFF course is April 14th .If you call the IPC they can hook you up . Once you have done the 7 levels you can jump solo , then learn to do formation dives with friends . Dont get too caught up in clocking up jump numbers fast , rather learn everything you can . There are a lot of world class coaches in the IPC who are willing to pass on their knowledge to anyone who wants it .

There are lots of different disciplines in skydiving , if you dont get distracted by them and still want to fly wingsuits , I would recommend a tracking suit after 100 jumps or so . They feel like and perform like early wingsuits but dont restrict your arms and legs so dont compromise your safety , and they are a BLAST to fly .

As others have mentioned , Ireland is cursed by weather so its difficult to jump as much as you want , however you can visit dropzones in sunnier countries and do 50 - 100 jumps in a week . Members of the IPC regularly organise such trips so im sure you will hear about em once you make a load of friends there .

also FYI there is a bunk house on the dropzone so you can stay for the weekend , from now on we jump from sun up to sun down so all the adrenalin addicts stay there rather than loose precious minutes driving home and back ;p

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments so far everyone! :)

I did the tandem over the weekend at the IPC with one of my mates.
    Everything went fine and I loved it...

Next stop AFF:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skydivedemon

@ Rane:
    Welcome to our world. Speaking as a Wingsuiter (& Irish Wingsuit Coach), it's definitely worth aspiring to. As Bob has already stated, don't get hung up on jump numbers, just enjoy the ride! Each & every jump will be a learning experience as well as the thrill of your life! Eventually (after minimum 200 jumps in a period of 1.5 years, or 500 jumps total) you'll get to the point when you'll be eligible to fly a Wingsuit & experience yet another skydiving discipline & I guarantee that you'll be amazed!

FYI: BASE jumping & Skydiving are completely different sports. If you liked the Wingsuit BASE jump footage of Jeb Corlis then check out this fantastic footage from Phoenix-Fly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0miuyXV4Q&list=FL9sCH3FuJqK3-t09GV-mUPg&index=15&feature=plpp_video

See ya in the sky ;-)

Blue Skies...

Yeah those guys are amazing.
    This is easily my favorite video of Wingsuit flying ever...
    http://vimeo.com/35368665

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mac 21

Hi Rane, just checking how you got on? You've the same interest as myself (never did any jumps though) regarding this and wing-suit jumping...but for now for many reasons i can't pursue it but interested in how you're doing?

Hey everyone! Sorry for taking so long to give updates! Due to money constraints I had to hold off on the training in 2012, but I've been saving and we're going ahead with it all soon :) Me and 1 of my friends who has been doing the Tandem's with me are going to start and complete AFF in June. Anyone who's interested in joining us for AFF training send me on a private message and I'll get back to you with an update on when we're starting.

It would be amazing if we could get a small group of 5 or 6 people who were interested in completing AFF for a solo license; And possibly continuing on to come to France or Italy to fast track solo dives to start wing suit training with us.

Anyone interested give me a shout and we can talk about it more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 soul_jd

hey man, read your post about looking to learn wingsuit flying, well what im doing at the moment is for charity, And I've set up a project called project 25 and its for the share a dream foundation here in ireland, and one thing im doing is 25 skydives in one week, its all for charity too so its for a good cause, but afterwards I'll be looking to get into wingsuit flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miker1983

soul_jd wrote: »
    hey man, read your post about looking to learn wingsuit flying, well what im doing at the moment is for charity, And I've set up a project called project 25 and its for the share a dream foundation here in ireland, and one thing im doing is 25 skydives in one week, its all for charity too so its for a good cause, but afterwards I'll be looking to get into wingsuit flying.

Are you doing 25 tandems or solos? How much is it costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 soul_jd

miker1983 wrote: »
    Are you doing 25 tandems or solos? How much is it costing?

Hey man, Because its all for charity and im trying to prove the point that I can put myself through an activity that wil be quite demanding, same as the families that im raising the money for, im doing my first practice jump in about 2 weeks which will be a tandem, then when the challenge starts ill be doing them all solo, your talking 5 jumps a day over five days, first 2 out of this challenge will be tandem, about 4 of em will be static line and the rest all solo.

if you wanna know more about it, facebook it, project 25, 25 skydives.

also my contact details are on it if you would like to talk with me personally on the matter.

take it easy bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

I've decided to take the plunge and do a Wingsuit FFC. I live in the US so hoping to do it at a DZ in South Carolina over the next 2/3 months.

The place I'm doing it at has a 200 jump minumum policy. They also rent suits long term so you can get a few jumps until your belt at your own DZ before you invest in a higher end suit.

I keep you updated with progress once I start.
    :):):D:D:D:) :pac:

• Advertisement

soul_jd wrote: »
    Hey man, Because its all for charity and im trying to prove the point that I can put myself through an activity that wil be quite demanding, same as the families that im raising the money for, im doing my first practice jump in about 2 weeks which will be a tandem, then when the challenge starts ill be doing them all solo, your talking 5 jumps a day over five days, first 2 out of this challenge will be tandem, about 4 of em will be static line and the rest all solo.

if you wanna know more about it, facebook it, project 25, 25 skydives.

also my contact details are on it if you would like to talk with me personally on the matter.

take it easy bud.

Sounds great man! You'll definitely have a good few more dives racked up than me by the time I start AFF ha... But if your planning on continuing on for Wingsuit then I'll probably see ya around the air field and might catch up with ya!
    jimmurt wrote: »
    I've decided to take the plunge and do a Wingsuit FFC. I live in the US so hoping to do it at a DZ in South Carolina over the next 2/3 months.

The place I'm doing it at has a 200 jump minumum policy. They also rent suits long term so you can get a few jumps until your belt at your own DZ before you invest in a higher end suit.

I keep you updated with progress once I start.
    :):):D:D:D:) :pac:

Good luck man! Definitely let us know how ya get on! Would love to follow someones progress through their training... Once I properly get started on this I'm gonna try and document as much of it as I can from the start all the way until I reach Wingsuit level.

Advertisement