Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another insurance rant !

• 20-02-2012 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

how is that insurance is more expensive on my 1.4 civic than a 1.9TDI 2007 Skoda octavia or slightly cheaper again on a 1.9 JTD Stilo ?

i mean really !

1 year no claim and 1 year older and what not and yet a not so powerful hatch is more expensive than a more powerful saloon !

not a happy bunny :(

but still love my car nearly a year on and not getting rid of it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mostly because a few years ago Civics were driven exclusively by morons showboating everywhere they went. Not so much these days, but the stigma's still attached in Insurance industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Owen wrote: »
    Mostly because a few years ago Civics were driven exclusively by morons showboating everywhere they went. Not so much these days, but the stigma's still attached in Insurance industry.

yeah i remember this from when i was talking about buying one.

i recall it being more expensive for the older civic insurance wise than the new one.

still annoying though.

im half tempted to let my insurance and tax run out and take the car of the road for a year or 2 and pick up a cheap knock about diesel that would be cheaper in a few ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

This can be really frustrating, my insurance on an Alfa GT 1.9JTDM is more than it would be on a Audi A5 2.7 tdi despite having less power and having a value of about 1/4 of the A5!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

robbie_998 wrote: »
    im half tempted to let my insurance and tax run out and take the car of the road for a year or 2 and pick up a cheap knock about diesel that would be cheaper in a few ways.

And come back to an underpowered (not exactly light on juice?) petrol civic when prices will surely be closer to €2/L, which will probably have even less of a market then.... not the best idea in the world. If you're thinking about changing car, do it properly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

And come back to an underpowered not exactly light on juice petrol civic when prices will surely be closer to €2/L, which will probably have even less of a market then.... not the best idea in the world. If you're thinking about changing car, do it properly tbh.

My thoughts exactly,not to mention depreciation, silly idea.
    Insurance can't be that bad on the Civic, have you shopped around OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

how is that insurance is more expensive on my 1.4 civic than a 1.9TDI 2007 Skoda octavia or slightly cheaper again on a 1.9 JTD Stilo ?
    :)

It's probably simple from the ins co point of view. More claims come from Civics than from Octavias therefore Civic drivers pay more. It's probably true as well. I'm guessing that more Civics are crashed/stolen/broken into than Octavias even though the Octavia would be the faster car...also much older demographic driving the Skoda therefore statistically less claims.

My thoughts exactly,not to mention depreciation, silly idea.
    Insurance can't be that bad on the Civic, have you shopped around OP?

I have.

appearently NCB means nothing cos of my age :/

so i might only take it off the road for 4/5 months and use it again after my birthday and declare it off the road tax wise and just start it all up again when insurance will be cheaper again when im that extra year older

again the britton crowd im with at the moment are pulling ahead price wise beating everyone else.

so i might only take it off the road for 4/5 months and use it again after my birthday and declare it off the road tax wise and just start it all up again when insurance will be cheaper again when im that extra year older

They take it into account when calculating your premium that your age will change in 5 months when it's your birthday you know...

Daft theory, waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I think the insurance is also lower on higher litre engines because of the running costs and the individuals capability to afford the cost of running a 1.4 civic is very little compared to a say 2.5litre 325I

In a twisted way, they see it that in the economy at the moment if you can afford to run a high powered car you must be somewhat sensible, by having the means to afford it, the majority of lads would have some degree of struggle to cover the day to day costs, let alone the cost of the car, so they get a lower power engine, but as it costs less, the insurance hit them with high rates assuming they can afford it.

It's just a guess I'm throwing out, as im 24 and drive an 05 st, my insurance is 500, my mate drives an 06 m5, her insurance is 700, while a mate of ours drives a 98 1.4l colt and her insurance is 1100...

How they manage to work it out is beyond me, but that's where my guess is coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cost of parts, frequency of claims and thefts. Chav factor too.

They take it into account when calculating your premium that your age will change in 5 months when it's your birthday you know...

oh right.

i think this is gonna be a very sad time so.

my lil baby :(

being everywhere with her :(

we have a special bond together <3

[IMG][/img]img0241t.jpg

img0304yx.jpg

img0305mf.jpg

img0377ti.jpg

bfocusd wrote: »
    I think the insurance is also lower on higher litre engines because of the running costs and the individuals capability to afford the cost of running a 1.4 civic is very little compared to a say 2.5litre 325I ....................

It's just a guess I'm throwing out, as im 24 and drive an 05 st, my insurance is 500, my mate drives an 06 m5, her insurance is 700, while a mate of ours drives a 98 1.4l colt and her insurance is 1100...

How they manage to work it out is beyond me, but that's where my guess is coming from.

Sounds like another daft theory to me, an ST170 you have is it?

oh right.

i think this is gonna be a very sad time so.

my lil baby :(

being everywhere with her :(

we have a special bond together <3

Have you been drinking or smoking some funny stuff or something? :p

What's the cheapest insurance quote you can get and what's your NCB and age.

Have you been drinking or smoking some funny stuff or something? :p

What's the cheapest insurance quote you can get and what's your NCB and age.

€1700 1 years NCB

20years old.

no no, no funny stuff... just gonna be sad to see my baby go :(

highly considering a Kia Sedona to be honest.

insurance still cheaper than my car for the 2.9 model.

pass it out as as taxi, €80 a year road tax and cheap private insurance ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

How much was your insurance last year? You must have had some idea of the running costs. Seems a bit daft to be dumping it now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

€1700 1 years NCB

20years old.

no no, no funny stuff... just gonna be sad to see my baby go :(

highly considering a Kia Sedona to be honest.

insurance still cheaper than my car for the 2.9 model.

pass it out as as taxi, €80 a year road tax and cheap private insurance ! :pac:

That's a crazy price!

Where'd you get that quote?

Tbh, 1 year NCB was never going to make a massive difference tbh.

As a comparison, I've 3 years NCB and 20, and it's 1100 TPFT on a 05 320cd.

I just reckon it's the lack of NCB letting you down here, mind you, with 1 year NCB and 18 my quote on a punto was 1600 so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

RoverJames wrote: »
    Sounds like another daft theory to me, an ST170 you have is it?

http://www.evo.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?o=0&id=22351

really gotta get it clean and get some pics, not got the weather for it at the moment, but its identical to the one on the link above.. :)

edit: in regards to ncb, ive 6 years, my mate has 8 and the one who drives the colt only has 2 so maybe thats another explination for it too..

That's a crazy price!

Where'd you get that quote?

Tbh, 1 year NCB was never going to make a massive difference tbh.

the age is letting me down big time.

my first quote was €2100 for my first year driving.
    As a comparison, I've 3 years NCB and 20, and it's 1100 TPFT on a 05 320cd.

I just reckon it's the lack of NCB letting you down here, mind you, with 1 year NCB and 18 my quote on a punto was 1600 so..

i reckon the diesel has an impact on that too ?

like i said in the OP its cheaper for a 1.9 TDI octavia or even now a 2.9 Turbo diesel sedona !
    Jimdagym wrote: »
    How much was your insurance last year? You must have had some idea of the running costs. Seems a bit daft to be dumping it now.

insurance last year 2100

i got over 700 KMS from a full tank of petrol everytime in my car.

but petrol VS diesel on price and lasting. diesel has it going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Insurance dropping 20% in a year seems fair enough to me. How much were you expecting it to be?

Live within your means fella, would of been better for you to gain some NCB on a ****box first.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Insurance dropping 20% in a year seems fair enough to me. How much were you expecting it to be?

i didnt want to bring it up again but if i changed my gender to female.........................................

but yeah no its just a 300odd euro drop so it doesnt seem to big there ... will only be about 20 less a month.

and the fact a diesel is cheaper even with an engine more than double the size and a turbo !

i reckon the diesel has an impact on that too ?

like i said in the OP its cheaper for a 1.9 TDI octavia or even now a 2.9 Turbo diesel sedona !

Probably because there's less claims against them...

If it makes ya feel any better my insurance has been going up steadily for the past 3/4 years. :(

bfocusd wrote: »
    http://www.evo.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?o=0&id=22351

really gotta get it clean and get some pics, not got the weather for it at the moment, but its identical to the one on the link above.. :)

edit: in regards to ncb, ive 6 years, my mate has 8 and the one who drives the colt only has 2 so maybe thats another explination for it too..

As you now mention, it's the NCB ;)

You'd think they'd be charging more to insure a lhd :pac:

car_photo_22347_25.jpg

That's a crazy price!........

Seems ok to me really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I'll never get insurance quotes. Around €650 for a 1.4 petrol 03 Corolla, and around €980 for a 1.3 petrol 03 Fiesta. I'm a 22 year old female with 2 years NCB. It makes no sense that the Corolla quote was lower!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

coco_lola wrote: »
    I'll never get insurance quotes. Around €650 for a 1.4 petrol 03 Corolla, and around €980 for a 1.3 petrol 03 Fiesta. I'm a 22 year old female with 2 years NCB. It makes no sense that the Corolla quote was lower!

Has to be all about the level of claims against that particular car, whether in total or just in relation to how many of them are insured as in % claimed per insured.

Its 20% cheaper for me to get insured on a Lotus elise 111R than it is on a 1.6 laguna... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

All cars are listed in Groups 1-50 scale

Group of car is beased on loads of factorsto name a few

- Theft, Fire, & crash frequency
    - power to weight ratio
    - Boy-racer modification factor
    - Cost of repair, labour rates, import parts more etc....

the spec of car also factor - i model cheaper than Vti etc but ya gotta declare exact car - ie - may have been origonally an "i" but you modifiy and kit out, lower etc..

Advertisement