Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

When is hustings? How are the questions decided?

To any candidates that are on boards; is salary a factor in your decision to run? what is your opinion of the purposed motions of reducing sabats salaries both in general and during the training in period?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

3.Commissioning Union informational videos on the following Academic issues.

Lecture problems
    Course change
    QCA Break down
    I –Grades
    Exam Issues
    Being a rep (Faculty & Class)
    Academic Advice throughout the year
    A guide to Academic Supports
    A guide to your Advisor
    Accessing your student records
    ‘I’ve failed an exam…What happens next?”
    Registering For your modules
    Internal/external transfer
    Module outline
    Study Skills
    Orientation
    What your VP/Academic does for you.
    Co-op and TP – Issues
    Better Union Forum
    Erasmus in focus
    Union and Union governance

I think these are a great idea. Especially the ones I've bolded. There's a lot of mis-information and confusion on these issues, would be good to have a clear breakdown and explanation of things. (might even help out here on boards at exam time to avoid the string of repeated questions :pac: )
    4.Union Accountability &transparency via:
    UNION FORUMS

Union: Which deals with all aspects of the union, policies, actions and activities including accounts.

University: Which deals with tackling University issues such as proposed charges for using the medical centre for example.

Entertainment: Where you the students formulate what you want for your entertainment for the year – Your Charity Week - You decide.

These forums are not a governmental structure; they are an open “think tanks” to ensure we as officers are engaging with you and you are ensuring we are operating to the best of our ability for you.

I think these are a really cool idea. Some clarification though, would you envisage that the other Sabbatical officers would be in attendance at these as well? As in, would the President be at the Union one, and the Ents Officer be at the Entertainment one?
    5. Beneficial Class rep training.
    Recognition for active class reps and an option for you to ‘Rate your rep’ Accountability for those that represent you.

Yes, yes, and again YES!

6. I Will actively engage the University on the disgraceful issue of Exam Results release and suggest a staggered release of results based on year or faculty. Again I will actively work with students and will work with what they think is best.
    Every year an Academic/Education Officer promises that they will deal with the poor distribution of results and the disgrace that was this year’s results were the icing on the cake. we have the following facts:
    The system gets overwhelmed by too many people trying to get their results.
    They pre-release 2000 results after midnight before the full results are released
    Letters regarding failing are sent the week before online results (received usually the friday)
    Solution: stagger the results. Either by faculty/year/or timeframe. The problem with this is that students are going to check on the off-chance that they are there - I know, I've done it (A LOT) I would hope to educate students on the process of exam results and their release so that people know that they are causing more harm than good checking early. Other than this I would engage with the relevant bodies -SAA and ITD to investigate new means of exam dispersion or operating under a system that can handle fluctuating usage.

9. 24 Hour computer Labs for Undergraduates -With Printing facility.
    Students Have been screaming for this -every weekend you stay on to get into your project work, essays or fyp and you get on a role and cannot find anywhere after 5 on a Sunday or after 11 on a weekday.
    There is an Undergraduate lab by the Fish tank near the 24 hour post graduate room that can be used for this very purpose. The reason for this is being closed is that students treated it with disrespect and the security cameras don’t work.
    I will actively work with the university and security to get this back in operation as it is one of the main things students have asked me to do. It would also have color and black and white printing facilities linked to your print account.
    5. Undergraduate Study Room

Sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in the day! With deadlines of electives overlapping, occasionally students may need some extra time in the evening to complete their workload. Just like there is a 24-hour postgraduate room available, I believe there should also be an undergraduate room available to students. In conjunction with this, I would promote better communication with lecturers of electives to limit overlapping deadlines of assignments.

6. Introduce More Security In Relation to Exam Results

The university system crashing during exam results is an outrage. I would ensure that this WILL NOT happen again by communicating with the UL administration and finding a way that different year groups can receive their results at different times. This way, all students won’t be logging on to receive their results at the same time.

Glad to see that both of the above are being put on the priority list of both candidates. :)

This question is for both Paddy and Jackie. Realistically, is the 24 hour undergrad thing feasible? I think Jackie's wording of "an undergrad room" is more realistic, given that the Main Building is open 24hours anyway, so it'd just be a matter of leaving a tutorial room open.

If it can be delivered on, I think it's a fantastic idea. Trying to get work done in Red Raisin's or in the middle of a corridor that has that glorious combination of a table AND a wall socket at 4am is not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fifi Trixie Belle

This would involve
    Continuing the Lecturer Evaluations as great strides in the quality of education are being made with regard to this.

Hi Paddy,

Can you be a bit more specific as to the great strides that have been made in this area this year? To clarify, are you speaking about the University's voluntary system of student to lecturer feedback run by the Centre for Teaching and Learning?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 loupoo

I'm just wondering if Paddy's objectives can realistically be achieved in a year? Perhaps he is promising too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fifi Trixie Belle

Linken wrote: »
    1. Providing Academic Stress Support System

Everyone knows how stressful exam time can be. I propose providing support for students during exam time which would consist of tea or coffee mornings during study week and exam weeks, where students can take a break from their study or ask any questions they have in relation to their upcoming exams. Support will also be provided to first year students where they can receive information on the QCA system (as it is never fully explained to students), exams appeals and maps to the exam centres.
    If a student is feeling stressed about exams or their modules throughout the academic year, there will always be someone to talk to.

Hi Jackie,

I just have a quick questions about this part of your manifesto. Are you proposing the above as something new that you will bring to the role of Academic/Education Officer i.e. that it is not something that has been done in the past?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

as far as im aware, it isn't possible unless you change the post grad room to a student room.

I asked this previously as a class rep to our head of department and their stance was: you are undergrads, you don't get enough work to warrent such a facility plus this day and age most people have laptops.

On a side note, I notice nothing about silly hats in anyone's campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

reunion wrote: »
    as far as im aware, it isn't possible unless you change the post grad room to a student room.

I asked this previously as a class rep to our head of department and their stance was: you are undergrads, you don't get enough work to warrent such a facility plus this day and age most people have laptops.

On a side note, I notice nothing about silly hats in anyone's campaign!

that is verry much dependant on your course i'm dam gald of the 24 hour lab we have in the engineering department

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think these are a great idea. Especially the ones I've bolded. There's a lot of mis-information and confusion on these issues, would be good to have a clear breakdown and explanation of things. (might even help out here on boards at exam time to avoid the string of repeated questions :pac: )

With this the Educational Boards Posts will be 'Academic Advice' section that will be updated in line with published case studies

I think these are a really cool idea. Some clarification though, would you envisage that the other Sabbatical officers would be in attendance at these as well? As in, would the President be at the Union one, and the Ents Officer be at the Entertainment one?

Yes of course! It is highly important for us to report on our achievements and where we are with the issues you have brought us.

As stated in a previous post -yes relevant bodies would be present for relevant forums (See Post #106)
    This question is for both Paddy and Jackie. Realistically, is the 24 hour undergrad thing feasible? I think Jackie's wording of "an undergrad room" is more realistic, given that the Main Building is open 24hours anyway, so it'd just be a matter of leaving a tutorial room open.

If it can be delivered on, I think it's a fantastic idea. Trying to get work done in Red Raisin's or in the middle of a corridor that has that glorious combination of a table AND a wall socket at 4am is not fun.

Yes it can be - there is currently a post graduate room open to all postgrads at the weekend - BESIDE IT there is an underground room. I will work throughout the summer to arrange a means by which both rooms could be open for the students that need them. A printer is also essential in this area as one of the main things highlighted to me by students is the need for one.
    Hi Paddy,

Can you be a bit more specific as to the great strides that have been made in this area this year? To clarify, are you speaking about the University's voluntary system of student to lecturer feedback run by the Centre for Teaching and Learning?

Thanks

This is the work of the current education officer and Aoife Finnerty before that with regard to module evaluations and lecture feedback. It was co-ordinated and pushed very well in the first semester and it needs to be re-invigorated and pushed in terms of students and reps pushing for it.

As far as the Center for teaching and learning and its mode of feedback I'm pretty sure that lecturers are encouraged to use it as part of their module in terms of module evaluation at the end of term. this is promoted by the lecturer. These module evaluations in my opinion should be pushed by reps. and altered in such a way that the students can develop how the module is
    taught.
    loupoo wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if Paddy's objectives can realistically be achieved in a year? Perhaps he is promising too much.

I believe they are I have set myself out a plan that will take most of the summer and even a small bit of my current term to get this done. I feel they are realistic and professional.
    Most of all I think that the manifesto is certain to engage both me and students for most of the year and it is definitely one I feel strongly about
    reunion wrote: »

I give you your FYP/ coursework essays/compendiums (education)/Project work/ Lesson plans/ presentations.

These warrant an area as such. I remember how difficult it was to complete my FYP with coursework during the week. Weekends were the only time i had and most of that was time spent worrying about being caught in the postgrad room.

On another topic - the question about sabbatical pay - I have always been an officer who has spent his wages on th office i have run big or small- the money is one of the highest paid sabbats in Ireland. I have no problem in taking a wage cut but the Job has added workload this year with the drop of 2 officers. But in essence I am comfortable with whatever students decide...once i get a decent Silly hat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

Hi Jackie. Just some points I would like to address on your below post:

If I am elected as Vice-President Academic, I would address the following issues:

1. Providing Academic Stress Support System

Everyone knows how stressful exam time can be.

(a)I propose providing support for students during exam time which would consist of tea or coffee mornings during study week and exam weeks, where students can take a break from their study

(b)ask any questions they have in relation to their upcoming exams.

(c)Support will also be provided to first year students where they can receive information on the QCA system (as it is never fully explained to students), exams appeals and maps to the exam centres.
    If a student is feeling stressed about exams or their modules throughout the academic year, there will always be someone to talk to.

(a)This is already in place. Every set of exams the SU has coffee,water, red bull and other supplements all available to students, along with the comfort of a chat with a sabbat officer to take your mind off the exams and de-stress.There was even massages offered last year. You've basically said you're going to maintain a service that already exists. That's the bare minimum expected of a sabbat officer.
    (b)ask any questions in realation to exams? are you taking the proverbial piss. The only person qualified to give advice on upcoming exams is the lecturer or tutors of said module. If I come in and ask you a question about my Organic Chemistry 2 end of semester exam, in particular the parts pertaining to Sn1 and Sn2 reactions and how likely it is we will be asked to know reactions between different functional groups, what will you say to me?
    (c) information on QCA calculation is freely available throughout the college. There is a document which details specifically how to calculate one's QCA and allows you to work out exactly what grades you will need to get to achieve a 1.1/2.1/2.2 from working off your current QCA position.

2. Continued Lobbying For Nurses

(d)Student nurses go on placement for 36 weeks during their final year. They work the same hours and do the same work as a qualified nurse. Currently, final year student nurses get 60% of a qualified nurse’s wage. This will drop to 50% next year. I believe continued lobbying for nurses is needed.

Oh dear. You do realise the current economic climate our country is in don't you. You do also realise that student nurses were going to get their pay cut completely, but after much discussion and lobbying it was agreed that it would slowly drop to 50% and stay at that point. Tbh I think this is more than fair. Student nurses do pretty much everything a qualified nurse does anyway, but still don't have those extra little letters after their names yet to officially call themselves a qualified nurse. Given the state the country is in, 50% is a good deal. Many students have to go on unpaid co-op least I remind you; those students are lucky and grateful to get any placement at all.

3. Develop A Co-Op Hotline

This hotline will be set up to help students who have any queries, problems or questions in relation to their co-op. Someone will be at the other side to answer their questions.

LOL. I won't even bother getting into this one, ridiculous. How many calls do you think you'd get just out of interest. If you got more than thirty in the course of the entire year i'd say you'd be doing well. Would you also have this operating during the summer for students on co-op during that period? How many hours a day would someone man this? Would it operate 24/7? If not How would students on co-op in foreign countries (eg australia, japan) have access to it?

4. Create more links with International Universities

From my understanding, a student who chooses to go on Erasmus may end up in a university which is below their expectations. I would work with the Erasmus office to create further links with universities around the globe. I would also ensure that the student has an in-depth understanding of the modules and university, in which they intend to study.

Students can go on erasmus to pretty much any university they want, it doesn't have to be affiliated with UL. they don't get a grant for doing so, but who cares, they still get to attend a college of their choosing and have great craic.

Sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in the day! With deadlines of electives overlapping, occasionally students may need some extra time in the evening to complete their workload. Just like there is a 24-hour postgraduate room available, I believe there should also be an undergraduate room available to students. In conjunction with this, I would promote better communication with lecturers of electives to limit overlapping deadlines of assignments.

The majority of departments have 24 hour keycard computer lab access which students can use for computer access and can study in them as well, they are extremely quiet environments. The main building is open 24 hours, a large portion of undergraduates use the post graduate study room anyway (very few post graduates actually use it)

The university system crashing during exam results is an outrage. I would ensure that this WILL NOT happen again by communicating with the UL administration and finding a way that different year groups can receive their results at different times. This way, all students won’t be logging on to receive their results at the same time.

Jesus. It was a once off mishap. Don't think there's any need to invade Vietnam over it.

I will bring a fresh face to the student union with fresh perspectives and ideas. From my personal experience (what experience of working in the SU have you got that allows you to know what needs to be changed? Genuine question) know what needs to be changed in the union and if given the chance I feel I can achieve this. (Ok what do you think needs to be changed as it isn't outlined in your manifesto) I would be accessible to students through both Facebook and Twitter All sabbats are currently accessible to students through these means. I'd advise caution against having your personal facebook account overlapping with your professional position. take heed of derek daly who on all his social media says ''everything here is my own opinion and nothing to do with the SU''. Ulitmately it's a bit **** if you said you'd make more of an effort to connect with students face to face i'd have given you some credit. but you're just gonna sit in your office with your fb open, spending half the time chatting to your mates, and the other half hoping that students will ''connect'' with you online when you've put in no face time with them

I also understand the financial constraints on the union today and will work in a cost effective way to achieve my goals.

I can assure you, you have absolutely no idea of the financial constraints the SU is under.

Could you please respond to my above bolded bits if you get a chance.
    Best of luck regardless. I'm not impressed based on what I've read in your manifesto, seems to be a lot of hyperbolic slogans, and claiming you'll implement stuff that already exists.

I just want to clarify on the comments made about the "trio" being total strangers and that they grouped together out of desperation. Completely untrue!

Jackie and William are in the same class and have known each other for well over two years. Both candidates entered the election individually, and after finding out that they were both running, discussed the idea of going forward as running mates as they both strongly supported each others ideas for office, if elected. Also the idea of unity in the SU and being able to support one another in their respective roles was another main reason for going forward as running mates. I believe Eamon doesn't know the other two as well as they know each other, however himself and Jackie have a lot of mutual friends in UL. I would guess that's how Eamon came to run with Jackie and Will.

Besides, isn't Kelly running with David? Does that mean they too are desperate and don't believe their campaigns arent strong enough to win by themselves? Doubtful. It's more to do with having the same goals in office and putting together the strongest team of 3 that will work well together over the next year.

Ok Eamonn stated on fb they all met each other for the first time the other day.

Having mutual friends means SFA.

Dave hartery is running a joint campaign with kelly so he can try and make an indent into adam mourseys campaign.

He wouldnt have a hope on his own.

Kelly doesn't really need a running mate, she's prob doing a favour more than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Linken

[To any candidates that are on boards; is salary a factor in your decision to run? what is your opinion of the purposed motions of reducing sabats salaries both in general and during the training in period?]

Salary is not a factor in my reasons for running as vice president academic. To be honest, apart from rumours that I have heard, I am not aware of the exact salary of a sabat. I understand that in today’s financial climate that reductions in salaries have being taken everywhere and it is hard to dispute this. I am not running for VP academic for the salary, I am running for the students of the University of Limerick. I see changes that need to be made and I can achieve this.

[Glad to see that both of the above are being put on the priority list of both candidates.

If it can be delivered on, I think it's a fantastic idea. Trying to get work done in Red Raisin's or in the middle of a corridor that has that glorious combination of a table AND a wall socket at 4am is not fun]

[as far as im aware, it isn't possible unless you change the post grad room to a student room. I asked this previously as a class rep to our head of department and their stance was: you are undergrads, you don't get enough work to warrent such a facility plus this day and age most people have laptops.]

The undergraduate study room is needed. The library is sometimes full all day from open to close. Also, after library closing times, students go to the red raison where it is noisy and uncomfortable. To say that we don’t have enough work to warrant isn't acceptable and there is evidence there that is needed to put forward.

[Hi Jackie,

I just have a quick questions about this part of your manifesto. Are you proposing the above as something new that you will bring to the role of Academic/Education Officer i.e. that it is not something that has been done in the past?

Thanks]

Yes, tea/coffee mornings have been done in the past. They have helped me relax during my exam time last semester, when I was stressed over final year exams. I found it extremely beneficial and a reason that I would continue to promote this service to students. It is vital that student have the support that they needed throughout the academic year.

Thanks for the questions everyone. I hope I have cleared up some of your concerns.

Please reply to my post Jackie when you ge a chance. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

leaoj wrote: »
    Please reply to my post Jackie when you ge a chance. thanks

jesus christ rocketboy give her a second

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AlwaysRight

Hi guys -Here is my full manifesto in word. I wish for you to question me on the Academic issues and problems I wish to tackle as VP/Academic.

1.Active Class & Faculty Representative Recruitment
    In a world where jobs are difficult to come by, a recent study has shown that employers are looking at candidates volunteering and and theirrepresentative status on their C.V as well as their degree. Class Representative and Faculty Representative roles offer a fantastic opportunity to work with a diverse spectrum of people and a chance to represent students on issues of high importance to students.

With this in mind I will actively push to secure the remaining Faculty Reps before the start of the new term. This Includes all interest groups so that we have a legitimate council to make decisions on. I will carry out class addresses before the end of the new term to get students to sign up for rep for the following semester to have a head start in terms of developing their training and readiness for their new year.

Reps are currently not working, this is a fact. We have not had a quotate meeting (One that has the minimum amount of Reps to vote) since November. Thus the mandate for the SU, its accountability, its transparency is greatly diminished.

Class Reps Restructure was a brilliant concept and I assured Aoife, our current education officer that the Faculty Reps and Class reps recruitment will be a focus of mine. Being honest Class Reps Council is dull, tedious and involves little if no interaction. This will need to be rectified. We currently have 2 types of reps -Your parties, hoodies and ents Rep and your Academic rep, let’s cater to that dynamic. I will re-develop training, council and the marketing of class representative for the new academic year.

Regards

Paddy Rockett

Hi Paddy,

Do you plan to do further restructuring to Class Reps or roll back on anything? I noticed in the manifesto and over a few posts that you used "Class Reps Council" quite often and never mentioned the Department Councillors, only Class Reps and Faculty Reps.

In the new system the "Council" and its corresponding governance powers will be given to the group of department councillors and interest group councillors, and Class Reps would attend a "Forum" instead of council. Or so I believe was the original plan?

I am just wondering if this is a slip of the tongue because of confusion during the cross-over to the new system introduced, or is it indicative of an intention to change the system put in place.

Some of your plans sound very exciting, but I would love to know more about the intentions with Reps.

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Just on this, Kelly also set up Cellar Door, which IIRC was part of her manifesto last year, published in Semester 1, had to be cut then due to the financial situation. She also set up www.anfocal.ie, another part of the manifesto, as well as being editor of An Focal.
    As for the proportion of her time spent on ULFM, I simply don't know, and the merits of the station, I'm biased, so won't comment.

Cellar door was an obvious place to cut... A full colour, low readership, no advertising publication. At hustings, she described cellar door as a place for a few writers "cause they've submitted stuff to the smedias this year and umm basically they'd like to get their stuff out there"

With the radio station, ULFM, she said she was going to set it up and hand it over to MMPT (Music Media and Performance Technology) students URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9j2r6feNcA&t=0m53s"]1[/URL. However, when ULFM was first setup she made the ULFM constitution so the comminucations officer had supreme power URL="http://www.ulsuelect.com/2011/?p=331"]2[/URL. When the ULFM constitution was 'probed', Kelly (and the other members of the ULFM board) changed the constitution to "worsen the transparency and governance structure of ULFM from it’s previously concerning state" URL="http://www.ulsuelect.com/2011/?p=315"]3[/URL. Then, when students asked to know what was going on in ULFM, Kelly and the board made it nearly impossible to find out URL="http://www.ulsuelect.com/2011/?p=354"]4[/URL by implementing a bureaucratic system involving multiple meetings, payment, and signing a non-disclosure agreement. After more requests, Kelly and the rest of the board completely removed the constitution they had previously constructed, making it highly unclear how you are supposed to proceed with anything URL="http://www.ulsuelect.com/2011/?p=428"]5[/URL
    At hustings last year, according to ULTV's recordings, a questions was asked of the Communications candidates how they would fund their expensive initiatives. Kelly's reply was "my ideas aren't expensive" URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9j2r6feNcA&t=1m26s"]6[/URL. We would like to know the total cost of ULFM so far and the proportions of funding from various sources (i.e. what percentage came from the enablement fund, what percentage came from other sources that created opportunity cost)?
    The merits of the radio station? Yes, it's great for those who are interested in presenting a show. For the general student body? The listener ship is very low. Anything over about 20-25 listeners is considered high listener-ship.

anfocal.ie wasn't in her manifesto from what we can tell (interestingly kelly's manifesto from last year isn't available... she is the only current sabbat who doesn't have it published on ulsu.ie). It was however on the manifesto of the person who ran against her. [The anfocal.ie website was made by Kieran Caplice, who did a good job.]

Things on Kelly's manifesto not implemented:
    Communications Officer Podcasts
    ulsu.ie Feedback Polls
    ulsu.ie Carpooling section

Parts of the communications officer's job she has overlooked:
    Updating the news section of ulsu.ie (there have been a total of 7 updates since the start of semester 1 to now - that's only 1 per month. This semester, the 3 news posts have been about 1) elections 2) elections 3) laundry)

While the above post might appear anti Kelly, you'll find it rather hard to prove any of it wrong.

One thing that comes to mind. Kelly doesn't have a track record on transparency. David Hartery, a presidential candidate who is campaigning with Kelly, has listed transparency as an important point. If elected, how would David ensure that his transparency point is reached/exceeded if other sabbatical officer are keeping things in house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Does Jakie/William or Eamonn have any exp in holding an office?
    Paddy how will you fund and distribute the videos to get most coverage in UL?
    SarahBeep! I agree with you on most of the new services that were introduced by Kelly but at least we know that she does follow up on what she said.
    loupoo His big thing is the forum which can be done will little effort
    Jakie What would the hours be on the hotline and will it cost the students to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Polar Ice wrote: »
    . We would like to know the total cost of ULFM so far and the proportions of funding from various sources (i.e. what percentage came from the enablement fund, what percentage came from other sources that created opportunity cost)?

100% funded by the enablement fund. That is 100% fact. Money has been set aside from that to cover next years working.

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    jesus christ rocketboy give her a second

Not me at all - I dont know who that is - dual accounts are a silly thing to have. I'll ask a question as a candidate rather than an unknown
    Hi Paddy,

Do you plan to do further restructuring to Class Reps or roll back on anything? I noticed in the manifesto and over a few posts that you used "Class Reps Council" quite often and never mentioned the Department Councillors, only Class Reps and Faculty Reps.

In the new system the "Council" and its corresponding governance powers will be given to the group of department councillors and interest group councillors, and Class Reps would attend a "Forum" instead of council. Or so I believe was the original plan?

I am just wondering if this is a slip of the tongue because of confusion during the cross-over to the new system introduced, or is it indicative of an intention to change the system put in place.

Some of your plans sound very exciting, but I would love to know more about the intentions with Reps.

Thank you! smile.gif

God no - Definitely not an intention to change the system in place - more of a shakeup and a push for activity rather than the current system of 'talk...listen...vote when we need you to'

Your right it is a slip of the tongue apologies -I group faculty and department reps as somewhat similar. I do not plan on changing the system. I spoke with Aoife about all reps and we agreed it’s important to have them elected established and aware of their roles - Highly Important.

Apologies for the confusion.

I think you have me wrong -I'll just clarify:

Forum = Universal Student 'Think Tank'
    Council = Reps council (Governance Structure)

Does that help? We are putting up a full descriptive video Tuesday night - It explains what they are but essentially reps council would remain the same but the major problem with it tackled.

What do you think?

Not me at all - I dont know who that is - dual accounts are a silly thing to have. I'll ask a question as a candidate rather than an unknown
    Hi Paddy,

Thank you! smile.gif

God no - Definitely not an intention to change the system in place - more of a shakeup and a push for activity rather than the current system of 'talk...listen...vote when we need you to'

Your right it is a slip of the tongue apologies -I group faculty and department reps as somewhat similar. I do not plan on changing the system. I spoke with Aoife about all reps and we agreed it’s important to have them elected established and aware of their roles - Highly Important.

Apologies for the confusion.

I think you have me wrong -I'll just clarify:

Forum = Universal Student 'Think Tank'
    Council = Reps council (Governance Structure)

Does that help? We are putting up a full descriptive video Tuesday night - It explains what they are but essentially reps council would remain the same but the major problem with it tackled.

What do you think?

Haha, I think we are all going to get confused with naming when things are changing. So many fancy names for different things - but it is important that they are correct and consistent, so students get used to and know what they are dealing with.

From a representative side the new structure shows a
    -Class Reps Forum (For Class Reps - similar to your think tank, but for reps)
    -Student Council (For Department Councillors and Interest Group Councillors)

Student Council being the governance structure. Noticeably separated from "Reps". The terms "Reps" and "Council" no longer being used together to ensure clarity of a new structure.

Student council, in my opinion, would be best served to stay as a meeting style arrangement - because of its utter importance in serious business.

Class Rep Forum then, again in my opinion, should become that lighter, fresher and more "enjoyable" think tank experience.

Different people like different things - the separation and clear difference, in my opinion, will cater for your differences in people - and the hope would be that everyone would have that place were they feel comfortable - increasing engagement.

Do our opinions differ at all?

Haha, I think we are all going to get confused with naming when things are changing. So many fancy names for different things - but it is important that they are correct and consistent, so students get used to and know what they are dealing with.

From a representative side the new structure shows a
    -Class Reps Forum (For Class Reps - similar to your think tank, but for reps)
    -Student Council (For Department Councillors and Interest Group Councillors)

Student Council being the governance structure. Noticeably separated from "Reps". The terms "Reps" and "Council" no longer being used together to ensure clarity of a new structure.

Student council, in my opinion, would be best served to stay as a meeting style arrangement - because of its utter importance in serious business.

Class Rep Forum then, again in my opinion, should become that lighter, fresher and more "enjoyable" think tank experience.

Different people like different things - the separation and clear difference, in my opinion, will cater for your differences in people - and the hope would be that everyone would have that place were they feel comfortable - increasing engagement.

Do our opinions differ at all?

No but i think more than anything the current Union need to spread the word and break down the new structure in a way that is simple and understandable. I find -even as a current officer that many of the titles roles etc are ambiguous and need definition i think a in terms of a video of governance (as stated in my manifesto).

One thing I am worried about in terms of all this is the uptake of people willing to attend and I aim to make these both informative and interactive.

Another worry in terms of Serious business is (If you don't mind me making and example) the showing of accounts to council.

They are shown and no-one asks any questions. When I see somewhere like clubs and socs and their means of budget/account discussion

I feel class reps do not know enough to question and they just write it off. I feel that at something like a union forum every interested party could attend. Here the general manger and accountant can describe and discuss accounts and we can open up the place as much as we can.

You are right about confusion. Often reading the restructure documents i find myself going back but i think Aoife has a structure set out for that I can develop. What is of highest importance is getting the reps recruited and trained first and foremost.

• Advertisement

I agree that new structure needs greater awareness efforts.

I also agree that showing accounts to class reps is often a waste of time - but to student council I think it might not be. Smaller meeting, easier discussion and people who care about that sort of thing. From a governance side that's important.

BUT I also think your idea of opening it up and discussing it on an broader scale is important too - the uptake on that offer would be interesting to see.

Fair play - the recruitment is vitally important, especially when it's such a new structure. Care needs to be taken though, I know your an out-going and interesting fella - but it is important that people stepping into Councillor roles aren't just doing it for the craic, it will become a vitally important role in the Union I believe.

Sorry, I am quizzing the bejaysus out of you.
    Jackie, let me know what you think about the reps structure. I am extremely interested to hear what you think. Ultimately I think it was kind of forgotten among all the mess of finances and controversy. This change to reps is massive and has big implications on the running and efficiency of the union, I think. I would be of the opinion that it should be a deal breaker in an education candidate.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Linken

1. I understand that it is the minimum requirement of a sabot officer, and to me; it is the most important requirement which should be treated with the upmost care. It should be maintained and improved. Are enough students aware of the support services provided? Maybe a minority of students is but the majority are not. Or else, they choose not to use the services. Regarding exam questions, I was referring to questions on the correction procedure, the appeals procedure, I grade information. Interaction with the students, face to face will ensure that they really understand their concerns. However – As regards your question, I may be able to get you some advice on a Organic Chemistry Question if you need a hand  . Yes QCA information is available online, but it is ever throughout explained to students? No. It is not explained during orientation or indeed any other time. By the time a student makes a decision to understand the QCA calculation method, it may be too late for them to receive their desired degree or they would have to put in a huge amount of time to do so. This may not be feasible to some with other commitments.

2. I am aware of this and for these reasons; I believe continued lobbying to maintain this 50% is necessary. As you noted yourself, student nurses do pretty much everything a qualified nurse does. 50% of a qualified nurse’s wage should be at least the minimum requirement.

3. I went on co-op abroad and I managed to stay in regular contact with my friends and family at home. I actually availed of some free calls to Irish landlines. It is a telephone network so I’m positive that almost everyone would have access to it. If they have a question that needs to be answered or a problem that needs to be discussed the co-op hotline would be there to provide assistance. It would operate at designated times during the week, lunch times or late afternoon, to allow students a chance to call since they are on co-op. It would also operate during the summer. Co-op is a period of eight months long and a problem could arise at any time during these months. Also, they will not sit there staring at the telephone and waiting for it to ring. Various other tasks can also be completed during this time and if a concern arrives, the students concern takes priority.

4. Not everyone has the finances available to jet off to any university they wish and the co-op grant is an important element in choosing their desired university. For this reason, more links should be made between the University of Limerick and other universities.

5. In my opinion, students are crying out for an undergraduate study room and one is needed. What about during FYP time and exam time? As I have stated previously, the Red Raison is noisy and uncomfortable. The fact that the main building is open 24 hrs would only make this goal practical and reasonable.

6. The exam results system fails every time that exam results are out. It is NOT a once off. What happened this year may have being a once off. However, I feel that implementing prevention methods are more important the possibility of the issue occurring again. If different year groups could receive their results at different times, it would eliminate the problem of the system crashing.

You are right. I have no experience in the SU, but as a concerned student I believe I know what needs to be changed. How many students do not use the union services? I want to change this. The union needs to be more open to students.

Of course, I will make an effort to meet students and connect with them face to face. I cannot see how you have reached the conclusion that I would be against that. I will be there to talk them on any issues they have that needs to be addressed. Setting out a rota of where I intent to be on weekly bases to connect with students would be a way to achieve there. As well as this, I will be there to talk to if any student drops into the Student Union. If elected I would not use my personal facebook. I would dedicate a social networking for the role of VP academic. I think that connecting in a simple manor with the student in is what the majority of students are seeking.

It’s a recession as you stated yourself. Obviously costs need to be taken into consideration. I do not want to make promises that I cannot be introduced.

Introducing new links with international universities, a co-op hotline, a postgraduate study room, as well as maintaining and developing important things is needed.

I hope my goals are more clearer to you know. I assume you are a Rockett supporter but thanks for the questions.

I understand totally what you mean in terms of care needs to be taken with regard to recruiting. This is why rating your reps is highly important.

As such I would hope that the training is worthwhile for these people - A positive attitude is a must. In areas like this the only negativity should be external and any difficulties we experience it is carried out as a group with a positive focus.

Don’t ever apologize for asking questions – I’m glad to see students taking an interest

Cheers for the questions.

I assume you are a Rockett supporter but thanks for the questions.

Never assume.

I am certainly not a supporter of anyone until the final day. Candidates still have plenty to say!

Speaking of which, Jackie, could you tell me about your thoughts on the Representative structure in its new format. Agree or disagree? Or what do you think. I know there are a lot of people out there that think it should just go back to the way it was.

Either way I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

were the three of them not mates already?

Just to clarify this point further - Eamonn stated that they had only just met after handing in the forms IN RELATION TO RUNNING A JOINT TICKET. Will Jennings and Eamonn had announced and sought nomination ahead of the deadline, however Jackie only decided to run for Education 2 hours ahead of the deadline.

Jackie is good friends with both Will and Eamonn - and all three would have the same people campaigning for them, so the decision was reached to run as a joint ticket.

This decision was taken on the back of a year where UL students were routinely made aware that the current sabbots were focusing attention on in-fighting rather than getting on with their work as a unit. This triple threat had no involvement in creating the shambles which the union is currently finding itself in and are standing to offer students an alternative, which I think is admirable. Ask not what your college can do for you, etc.... (and that applies to all those running across all races, theres no need to be attacking people who are putting themselves out there just for the sake of attacking - leave that to the comments section on Rebecca Blacks youtube channel!)

I assume you are a Rockett supporter but thanks for the questions.

thanks for answering my questions. A word of note for the week ahead, please don't make assumptions about the motives behind students questioning you, it makes you look silly thinking anyone who queries your manifesto automatically must be a member of your opponent's campaign team.

For what it's worth, I don't personally know you or paddy outside of this message board.I already PMd paddy a few queries about his campaign and he was very helpful in answering my concerns. I publicly queried you because I was astounded at some of the stuff on your manifesto, not as a form of attack, but because I genuinely was shocked at the amount of stuff you were offering on your manifesto which either was a) unfeasible or b) already in place.

Just to clarify this point further - Eamonn stated that they had only just met after handing in the forms IN RELATION TO RUNNING A JOINT TICKET. Will Jennings and Eamonn had announced and sought nomination ahead of the deadline, however Jackie only decided to run for Education 2 hours ahead of the deadline.

Jackie is good friends with both Will and Eamonn - and all three would have the same people campaigning for them, so the decision was reached to run as a joint ticket.

This decision was taken on the back of a year where UL students were routinely made aware that the current sabbots were focusing attention on in-fighting rather than getting on with their work as a unit. This triple threat had no involvement in creating the shambles which the union is currently finding itself in and are standing to offer students an alternative, which I think is admirable. Ask not what your college can do for you, etc.... (and that applies to all those running across all races, theres no need to be attacking people who are putting themselves out there just for the sake of attacking - leave that to the comments section on Rebecca Blacks youtube channel!)

This little joint ticket thing smells seriously fishy to me. I don't buy it for one second that this crowd are all mates for years. They're political pariahs, anything to try and stay afloat.
    ''United we stand divided we fall''
    Pull the other one lads.
    Some of them are already being branded ''The Eamonn Boland of this years election''

Take your business degrees elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. Sure what use would anyone with a business degree be to the students union, they've spent the last four years propping up the bars in the stables and the lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

I think we need a different thread for every offfice/individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

Well seeing as the Union is in financial and organisational disarray – so now would be a good time to put business minds in to sort out the mess, would it not? That would be the logic that would usually be implemented! Plus presidential candidate Eamonn Horgan is a civil engineering student, its just Jackie and Will Jennings who are business.

I don’t know who Eamonn Boland is or who these ‘people’ are that are branding Eamonn, Will & Jackie this year’s Eamonn Boland – but I’m gathering its a negative! =P Just because they are not union heads, doesnt mean that they dont have as much of a right to run and be elected to the ULSU, maybe after 4 years of campaigns claiming that the union will be opened up to the other 11,700 students that these guys will be the ones to do it!

Your post is strange, from assuming that there is a conspiracy theory on how close these people are, to branding every business student as a waste of space. I’m not sure if you’re just trying to be controversial or if you just have a very narrow view of the world. But fear not – Jackie, Eamonn and Will are not out to dupe you into think they have been best friends for years, quite frankly I don’t see why it matters how close they have been once they can work well together, and for your comment on Business students – Nika Gilauri is considered the most successful alumni of this fine university, he is currently the Prime Minister of Georgia and a Kemmy business graduate; if UL’s BBS degree is good enough for that office, surely its good enough for ULSU’s Welfare & Education offices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Is this definitely true? I distinctly remember not having this an option last year. Am I mistaken or was it not implemented?

Elections and regulations, part 16 of the constitution says " 16. Reopen nominations (RON) shall be a candidate in all union elections. "

3. Develop A Co-Op Hotline

This hotline will be set up to help students who have any queries, problems or questions in relation to their co-op. Someone will be at the other side to answer their questions.

This page is issued by Martin Sheehan, Campaign Manager for Jackie Woods.

Hello Jackie, I'm glad to see you post your manifesto here as your poster was terrible (no offence meant), 3. ( THIS QUESTION GOES FOR KELLY ASWELL )
    How do you plan on setting up this co-op hotline as i two years ago approached aidan healy head of connect ( not sure if he still is ) about setting up something similar to samaratins and was told that it wasn't feasible how do you plan on going ahead with it ?

5. Why ? Most courses supply something for their students and their is already something there for this ...... THE LIBRARY. You can book study rooms to work with people as does the KBS.

6. This was human error the same way i fell of my bike when i was a kid. Ya learn from it and carry on, i don't pressure my bike into making sure i don't fall off it same as SAA don't need to be pressured into realising this was a mistake. They test out the system on a few students and unfortunately the girl got sent out by mistake. Also if you make some students wait till certain times you will have an uproar from them saying its unfair causing more problems than it will ever solve.

leaoj wrote: »
    Some of them are already being branded ''The Eamonn Boland of this years election''

How is that a bad thing ? He cared, which in my eyes is the main thing needed to run for welfare. I hate seeing him branded as a fool when he wasn't.

Advertisement