Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MOTU] What's your favourite Unexplained Mystery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

RedFFWolf wrote: »
    So far as what is constituted in the realm of medical science can explain.
    I'm not trying to suggest cases of sleep paralysis have some external source, whether visitation, brief shots of the afterlife or perhaps OOBE related, but I couldn't claim to write off every moment as physically explainable. For example, medical science may explain the chemicals that may induce it, the stages and times that amount to the occurrence etc., and what may trigger it in the first place may be traceable too. For example, I normally get it during an inconsistent sleep, stressed times or when I have a fever, but not always. However, I believe that sleep paralysis, though not perhaps in itself a case of a 'paranormal' phenomenon, may at times occur as a sort of "side-effect" to something unique going on at the time. If there was ever for example, a dream visitation that caused stress to the dreamer, perhaps the dreamer claiming to see this man who haunts the place he/she is staying in, and becomes lucid, struggles to wake up, at a particular phase of sleep and stress levels rocket his/her sleep pattern out of control, possibly inducing sleep paralysis. I believe a long time ago I came across a very similar story someone once recalled. Energies (in a very broad sense of the term), I believe, may induce it, and perhaps in the example above, can be controlled to an extent by an external source temporarily at least - especially incorporating the dream aspect (and visitation if possible); one's own imagery can lead to a very unsettling experience.

Yes I'm sure medical science has more empirical evidence and evidence in general than this post has very briefly alluded to of a certain kind of explanation, but if it took almost 2,000 years to dispute spontaneous generation, I'm sure there is much to be studied on a relatively new area of research ;) - not just sleep paralysis for that matter!

Sorry for going a little off-topic, I'm aware of the sleep paralysis thread but I thought I would respond to it from this post. I am always weary about unusual occurrences such as sleep paralysis since it is connected with sleeping (and the brain states of sleeping I often find potentially linked with some things people class as "mysterious" or "paranormal").

So basically what your saying you believe is, although Sleep Paralysis is a quantifiable medical condition, it's not always caused by something medical, & could possibly in some cases be triggered by an external energy?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

EnterNow wrote: »
    So basically what your saying you believe is, although Sleep Paralysis is a quantifiable medical condition, it's not always caused by something medical, & could possibly in some cases be triggered by an external energy?

You have a gift that I have never been able to find: to condense lots of bits into something more simplified in explanation :)
    That is pretty much what I mean. I think in the end most "paranormal" things will have some degree or form of physical, scientific traceability, obviously as we're dealing with the physical world - even emotions have some forms of chemicals involved. So yeah, what may trigger these things I think may not always be 100% physically, "down-to-earth" phenomena, but the same could be said for a lot of things - but phenomena like sleep paralysis are one of those things that stand out for different reasons.

RedFFWolf wrote: »
    You have a gift that I have never been able to find: to condense lots of bits into something more simplified in explanation :)
    That is pretty much what I mean. I think in the end most "paranormal" things will have some degree or form of physical, scientific traceability, obviously as we're dealing with the physical world - even emotions have some forms of chemicals involved. So yeah, what may trigger these things I think may not always be 100% physically, "down-to-earth" phenomena, but the same could be said for a lot of things - but phenomena like sleep paralysis are one of those things that stand out for different reasons.

Yep, god knows, you could be right. But I have to boil things down to basics I find.

Medical science has given causes, factors & biological explanations for sleep paralysis from beginning to end. It's a normal phase of sleep, except your not meant to become conscious during it. Doing so, you find your large muscle group incapacitated which is normal, but also coincides with feelings of terror, & often accompanying hallucinations.

Now, I'm not qualified to offer an explanation as to why its always a feeling of dread & fear. Why isn't is always a hallucination of a joyous nature, & an accompanying euphoria? God knows. If I were to guess, I'd say its a primal/sub conscious reaction to the feeling of being paralyses in conjunction with a semi-lucid state.

Regards a paranormal influence to trigger it? In my opinion...no. There is, & never has been, any proof or plausible explanations to argue that the paranormal even exists. Sure there's all the reports & testimony by god knows how many credible witnesses over the centuries & decades. But the same can be said of any phenomenon in that case, Gods, Aliens, Fairies, Goblins, Ghosts you name it...there's been a witness. The divergence is so much so, that I have to wonder, does the human brain, & an individual persona dictate into what they believe they seen?

Over the centuries science/society has steadily disproved many things that older generations would have believed in. We've gradually moved on from dragons & goblins to ufo's etc. It seems the phenomena fits with the level of social development at times. Anyway, interesting discussion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Over the centuries science/society has steadily disproved many things that older generations would have believed in. We've gradually moved on from dragons & goblins to ufo's etc. It seems the phenomena fits with the level of social development at times. Anyway, interesting discussion :)

Interesting viewpoint.

Conversely, a lot of 'weird things' which might once have seemed fanciful have been proven too. Can you imagine being the first person ever to see a giant squid, or manta ray, or even the first to see a whale? Everyone would likely have dismissed them as ridiculous, a figment of someone's imagination, until they were encountered again, and slowly became accepted as fact. And thus no longer were 'monsters' and just normal creatures.

Of course, the thing is as the unexplored areas of our planet shrink more and more; and as everyone has cameras these days to record anything they encounter; the likelihood of us encountering many new creatures (particularly, large ones) is decreasing. (Bar, perhaps, the ocean floor.) As a creature, "Big Foot" or the Lough Ness monster are no more weird or special than other animals; it's just the unlikelihood of them existing without being detected that makes them fascinating to us.

who_me wrote: »
    Interesting viewpoint.

Conversely, a lot of 'weird things' which might once have seemed fanciful have been proven too. Can you imagine being the first person ever to see a giant squid, or manta ray, or even the first to see a whale? Everyone would likely have dismissed them as ridiculous, a figment of someone's imagination, until they were encountered again, and slowly became accepted as fact. And thus no longer were 'monsters' and just normal creatures.

Ah yeah, sure the Earth was flat at one point too :D My point being, is that science has weeded out the more exaggerated & fanciful things such as a cliff where you fall off the edge of the Earth, the Kraken & indeed despite being huge, Giant Squid have been shown to in no way to be able to swallow 'whole ships'. Where do ghosts/demons & spirits fall into my point? Hmm, I'm not sure yet...but like the Giant Squids of old...I think their days are numbered.
    Of course, the thing is as the unexplored areas of our planet shrink more and more; and as everyone has cameras these days to record anything they encounter; the likelihood of us encountering many new creatures (particularly, large ones) is decreasing. (Bar, perhaps, the ocean floor.) As a creature, "Big Foot" or the Lough Ness monster are no more weird or special than other animals; it's just the unlikelihood of them existing without being detected that makes them fascinating to us.

Exactly, if they do indeed exist...they're going to be just examples of mammalian/aquatic species we've never seen. Nothing paranormal, just new.

Maybe spirits & ghosts are extreme examples of this, if they exist...then there's a reason they exist & very likely a scientific one at that. Making them not paranormal, but...new :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Okay, unfortunately my post finished up earlier than expected, I didn't know I even posted that second post just yet but I think it's all that was needed.

Enternow
    Yes, we both agree we could just turn to anything paranormal as explanation if we didn't know or didn't want to research - my cup just moved when I left the room: it might be haunted! And yes, it would be considered normal rather than paranormal if understood better. Even if it was proven that people could cast "spells" of fire, ice & lightning from their hands, it would become normal and experimentable/enquirable etc..
    In that sense, most things, including sleep paralysis may 1 in every 100,000 times or whatever, be induced by something that FOR NOW we call "paranormal". Why then did I distinguish sleep paralysis as something potentially more common to be induced from something possibly external? Personally, I find a lot of connection with the afterlife (and hence, aspects such as spirits/the departed connected with this) and dreaming thanks to some research last year (highly recommend reading some H.H. Price for some ideas - I really seem to be plugging this guy on the 'Paranormal' forum :D). From that, any unique phenomena associated with sleep/the dreaming phase I find really fascinating from such a perspective.

who_me
    I've always thought that "dwarfs" in a sort of mythological sense back centuries ago that people considered different from themselves, were just in fact, people with dwarfism, and not distinct from us in anyway besides the effects of dwarfism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Ah yeah, sure the Earth was flat at one point too :D My point being, is that science has weeded out the more exaggerated & fanciful things such as a cliff where you fall off the edge of the Earth, the Kraken & indeed despite being huge, Giant Squid have been shown to in no way to be able to swallow 'whole ships'. Where do ghosts/demons & spirits fall into my point? Hmm, I'm not sure yet...but like the Giant Squids of old...I think their days are numbered.

Exactly, if they do indeed exist...they're going to be just examples of mammalian/aquatic species we've never seen. Nothing paranormal, just new.

Maybe spirits & ghosts are extreme examples of this, if they exist...then there's a reason they exist & very likely a scientific one at that. Making them not paranormal, but...new :)

Well, yeah. I think we're in agreement.

Paranormal is, effectively, another word for unexplainable. It may be something that eventually turns out to be false (a hoax, a lie, a figment of someone's imagination), or it'll be recorded, studied and explained and becomes 'normal'. As you say, perhaps some day we'll even find evidence of some kind of ghost or spectre, and then it would stop be paranormal and become a known, accepted phenomenon.

It's purely the lack of explainability(?) that makes the paranormal fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Whether there is life after death or not. That is the number one mystery I would like an explanation for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

lukesmom wrote: »
    Whether there is life after death or not. That is the number one mystery I would like an explanation for.

Its life Jim but not as we know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

lukesmom wrote: »

This poster seems to have the 411.
    Actor wrote: »
    Oh God forgives alright. But you must repent. If you die with a tarnished soul, chances are you're going to hell. If you repent, you spend time in purgatory in proportion to the severity of your repented sins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Bermuda triangle
    how they created pyramids
    where is Atlantis
    why there is no satellite image over south and north pole

i could continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Erper wrote: »

North Pole: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/7394700302/sizes/z/in/photostream/
    (take a look at the full size image, 11000 x 11000!)

South Pole: http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/RadarSat.html

Those hollow earth theories are bloody mental.

Bermuda triangle

Some really interesting co-incidents, but ships & planes travel through it every day without incident. I think its a combination of freak weather, navigation errors & maybe even wild stuff like methane/hydrogen releases from the sea floor affecting water density.
    how they created pyramids

To quote Red Dwarf, in relation to the pyramids:

Rimmer: How did they create such massive structures?!
    Lister: They had massive whips Rimmer, massive massive whips.
    where is Atlantis

It's a city that only ever held mythological status, merely legend. It may have existed, but equally, it may not have.

Em, there are :)
    i could continue

Please do!

check google maps with earth view and you will see that this smudged picture is (well i know ) for the last 2 - months...
    explain that

check google maps with earth view and you will see that this smudged picture is (well i know ) for the last 2 - months...
    explain that

To be honest, a google discrepancy doesn't constitute a mystery for me man

explain that

Earth view works by putting 2 dimensional photos onto a 3 dimensional 'globe'. To do that, the pictures inevitably have to be distorted, and when you get near the poles the distortion becomes more visible (the could probably fix that easily enough, but theres not much to see so it doesn't really affect anyone).

The same distortion can be seen on any map. Places near the poles often appear bigger than they actually are, due to the process of projecting a 3D globe onto a 2D map.

But most importantly, a smudge on google maps doesn't mean anything!

face1990 wrote: »
    Earth view works by putting 2 dimensional photos onto a 3 dimensional 'globe'. To do that, the pictures inevitably have to be distorted, and when you get near the poles the distortion becomes more visible (the could probably fix that easily enough, but theres not much to see so it doesn't really affect anyone).

The same distortion can be seen on any map. Places near the poles often appear bigger than they actually are, due to the process of projecting a 3D globe onto a 2D map.

But most importantly, a smudge on google maps doesn't mean anything!

not even google earth

http://www.ufodigest.com/news/1008/poles-print.html

What do you mean 'not even google earth'? The page you linked is entirely about google earth.
    Also, what about the photos I linked on the previous page? They show both poles clearly.

Basically, satellite photos of the poles exist. They aren't on google earth, but they are widely available.

Wgat im saying is that few months ago we were all able to go to south pole by google earth and clearly see images of how it looks...

Recently they changed all those setting and only available parts to see on google maps was around edges...

What i think and many more who are interested in this kinda problems is the station who is following the space and what is happening around us.

We are all know that 21/12/2012 is time when the new planet ( heh new, she always pass us every 3657 years) pass next to our planet and south pole is perfect spot to check all those things.

http://igor-kostelac.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/nibiru_path.jpg

Check youtube for south pole station, nibiru and 2 suns in south pole and get into that field more and than you might realize why south pole is smudged in google maps....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wgat im saying is that few months ago we were all able to go to south pole by google earth and clearly see images of how it looks...

Recently they changed all those setting and only available parts to see on google maps was around edges...

What i think and many more who are interested in this kinda problems is the station who is following the space and what is happening around us.

We are all know that 21/12/2012 is time when the new planet ( heh new, she always pass us every 3657 years) pass next to our planet and south pole is perfect spot to check all those things.

http://igor-kostelac.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/nibiru_path.jpg

Check youtube for south pole station, nibiru and 2 suns in south pole and get into that field more and than you might realize why south pole is smudged in google maps....

Are you serious? Did you do science in school?

You honestly believe that if there were 2 suns in our solar systems, a solar system where the earth moves around the sun and we see a different side of the sun each year, that a second sun would only be visible in the remotest part of the world?

Ok.....

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Are you serious? Did you do science in school?

You honestly believe that if there were 2 suns in our solar systems, a solar system where the earth moves around the sun and we see a different side of the sun each year, that a second sun would only be visible in the remotest part of the world?

Ok.....

Are you serious :eek: that actually belive that whatever they told you in school that thats it??

lool

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Are you serious :eek: that actually belive that whatever they told you in school that thats it??

lool

This isn't the conspiracy theories forum. There are plenty of satellite photos of both poles, but you believe that simply because you can't view them on Google Earth that there is something going on? If there actually was, don't you think they'd have left it on the older images, so that nobody would be any wiser about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Dyatlov Pass Incident

Creeps me right out! I find the D.B. Cooper (sic) thing quite unsettling too.

I've read that it appears this was an avalanche. The "radation" was the bodies being exposed to sunlight at high altitude. It also explains the lack of clothes, the state of the tree, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Leadamp

silverharp wrote: »
    crop circles are interesting

Crop_circles_Swirl.jpg

Man made. People have come forward and shown people how they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭briany

Leadamp wrote: »
    Man made. People have come forward and shown people how they do it.

I think the real mystery around crop circles is why the makers don't compensate the farmers for trespass and destruction of property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Leadamp

briany wrote: »
    I think the real mystery around crop circles is why the makers don't compensate the farmers for trespass and destruction of property.

They look cool though, you have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I find the whole UFO subject fascinating. There's a lot of woo woo, spirituality and god knows what else surrounding the subject, but to paraphrase; there are incidents of seemingly credible people encountering incredible things.
    Here's a video of an FAA guy discussing an incident in the '80's

Also another interesting clip of a BBC guy from 5 Live saying he saw something weird early one morning (although I suspect it may have been a drone)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14387365

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Great thread. Some fantastic mysteries on here.

My favourite would be About Joyce Carol Vincent. I think there's more to this than meets the eye but we'll probably never know.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/09/joyce-vincent-death-mystery-documentary

Advertisement