Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BloodyBill wrote: »
    As it's a Galway thread and Im a Clareman I would make a few points.

1. Sideline was way too slow to act today.
    2. Backs were cleaned on low ball and McInerney wasn't fit
    3. Limerick hammered the hammer and actually bullied ye physically
    4. Galway are still naive or green or fair sports men. ..Would Tom Morrissey get that goal against anyone else.? No he would have been hauled down outside the square.
    5. Limerick had a better plan and tactically killed ye. You guys reley on superior skill to win. Those days are over. You need brains

Don't think we were bullied physically really but it was clear that Limerick had a bit more freshess in their legs which may have given that impression. I had hoped the 2 weeks might have been enough time off after the two Kilkenny games, two Clare games plus extra time but it wasn't. They was just a bit of lethargy in the legs even from early on in the game.

Hanbury and McInerney weren't fully fit I don't think. AI finals never the place to try and carry players with knocks. I'd prefer a lesser player at 100% than a better one at 70%. Even Brian Cody tried it in 2010 and it didn't work out for him either.

Congrats to the minors. 3 All-Ireland's in 4 years. They were miles ahead of everyone at minor this year. Nobody got close to them really. 3 titles in 4 years is testament to the great work Jeffrey Lynskey is doing at underage and as he says himself he doesn't care about the titles. His job is to produce senior hurlers for Galway and many of those he's worked with will graduate to the senior team over the next few years.

The seniors will be back next year. They are not an old side at all even though it seems like they've been around a long time now. They will definitely come through Leinster again while Munster could be an absolute minefield if Tipp and Waterford improve on this year which you imagine they should. Few of the youngsters need more game time during the league just to broaden the selection base. A lad like Fintan Burke I would have been more than happy for him to have started the senior final on Sunday for example. Canning and David Burke and the like should not see a maroon jersey again until sometime next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Galway were disappointing yesterday....Limerick (either through luck or great preparation) had the measure of us tactically. The got to the lions share of breaking ball, and seemed to always be in ahead of the Galway man, and did exceptionally well at intercepting the short passes, especially hand passes...
    However the Galway team had provided some outrageously exciting entertainment over the last few months and I'm exceptionally grateful to such an exceptional bunch of amateurs who dedicate so much of themselves..…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭flatty

It's been a great few years to be a galway fan. Hope we have another few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It's understandable that the players are drained.

The last few weeks have been draining even as a supporter traveling to games etc.

Not to mind having to play 80 minutes most weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Awful turnout here. We're a county of sunshiners tbh in both codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wonder was it actually publised all that well? I thought they were just going to Ballinasloe until an hour ago when I heard they were heading to Salthill after. Looked like a good turnout in Ballinasloe to be fair.

Bigger turnout would be nice but ultimatly when you lose a final the players find the homecoming something to get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Didn't think it was that bad. A lot came in after me and it seemed to stretch to the half way line. Anyway. That's it done. 2019 starts today. MD and David Burke spoke very well and I'm sure they'll put the shoulder to the wheel for 2019. It's not an old team. They'll go again next year.

Didn't think it was that bad. A lot came in after me and it seemed to stretch to the half way line. Anyway. That's it done. 2019 starts today. MD and David Burke spoke very well and I'm sure they'll put the shoulder to the wheel for 2019. It's not an old team. They'll go again next year.
    I'm not great at estimating tbh but 3k was my guess. Players obvs hated it but was great to see the appreciation from those attending. Minors got a super reception and very much deserved.

Monday evening at 6 o clock, alot of people have jobs that make that time inconvenient regardless of whether we won or lost.

I'm not great at estimating tbh but 3k was my guess. Players obvs hated it but was great to see the appreciation from those attending. Minors got a super reception and very much deserved.

You could be right. Ya it was easy to see the seniors hated it. Hopefully the hurt can push them on. Plus they won't winter as well this year as last year. I'm hopeful with the talent coming through we can push on again.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Monday evening at 6 o clock, alot of people have jobs that make that time inconvenient regardless of whether we won or lost.
    Versus a Monday in September adding in school traffic?
    You could be right. Ya it was easy to see the seniors hated it. Hopefully the hurt can push them on. Plus they won't winter as well this year as last year. I'm hopeful with the talent coming through we can push on again.
    Ya I certainly wouldn't be writing them off in any way. Injuries were a huge factor this year and they'll know they need to give better gametime to lads like Killeen, Loftus etc and add in lads like Fintan Burke/Grealish to avoid a repeat of our lack of depth this season. Think management will learn a lot from 2018 which was still a good year bar the first 68 minutes of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭threeball

djPSB wrote: »

Galway city is hardly a hotbed of hurling either and people hate going near the place bar a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I hear Michael Donoghue will step down. I would be sad to see it but he owes us nothing at this stage.

I hear Michael Donoghue will step down. I would be sad to see it but he owes us nothing at this stage.

Pity but a fresh voice can be good too. 3yrs for an amateur is a fair commitment.
    Who would be in line to replace him, Mattie Kenny, Jeff Lynskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Although his demeanour on the sideline this year suggests he isn't enjoying the pressures management bring - I would doubt he would like to exit on a low like yesterday. With a few tweaks the team has the potential to bounce right back again next year!

Saw extracts from Babs keatings article today - his critism of Galway was way over the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Robson99

threeball wrote: »
    Pity but a fresh voice can be good too. 3yrs for an amateur is a fair commitment.
    Who would be in line to replace him, Mattie Kenny, Jeff Lynskey?

I'd go for Eamon O Shea

donnem33 wrote: »
    Although his demeanour on the sideline this year suggests he isn't enjoying the pressures management bring - I would doubt he would like to exit on a low like yesterday. With a few tweaks the team has the potential to bounce right back again next year!

Saw extracts from Babs keatings article today - his critism of Galway was way over the top!

When is Babs ever measured. Top class clown. Were Johnny Glynns gloves half the reason we lost?

Babs is a clown. No one should take a blind bit of notice of him. Brian Gavin had a go at Owens in one of the papers today saying he was poor

Beat me to it threeball

Unless things have changed from last night Michael Donohue isn't going anywhere. That was from the man himself*

*Disclaimer plenty of pints had been had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Unless things have changed from last night Michael Donohue isn't going anywhere. That was from the man himself*

*Disclaimer plenty of pints had been had.

He spoke to Galway bay this morning saying it was a great 3 years etc, it sounded like a sign off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He spoke to Galway bay this morning saying it was a great 3 years etc, it sounded like a sign off

Hopefully not,he has done an amazing job and appears to be such a humble and all round decent guy.

That poignant photo of him embracing his father post last year's All Ireland win will be forever etched in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I says wrote: »
    Looks like limerick are the team to fear this year I’m mightily impressed by them so far.
    Big physical team that can hurl and are young enough to not give a fiddlers who they meet.
    They are the ones who appear to be closing the gap between Galway and the rest for this year.
    Tipp will still do damage so I wouldn’t write them off yet if the can get there act together
    Me and my crystal ball back in June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Ah no, I really hope MOD stays. Although if he does decide to resign, at least he will be forever remembered as the man who finally got Galway to end the 29 year famine. I honestly think they can win another and he seems to be the right man to lead them to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Ah no, I really hope MOD stays. Although if he does decide to resign, at least he will be forever remembered as the man who finally got Galway to end the 29 year famine. I honestly think they can win another and he seems to be the right man to lead them to it
    Would like to see him give it another year . Probaly needs to bring a few new players to freshen things up a bit . If u look at the great kk team even after winning all Ireland’s one after another there was nearly always at least 2 new players following year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Perhaps because it's at the end of his three-year team; ultimately it's a call for the CB whether to reinstate him for another term. Maybe he didn't want to be preemptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

Robson99 wrote: »
    Babs is a clown. No one should take a blind bit of notice of him. Brian Gavin had a go at Owens in one of the papers today saying he was poor

The Examiner column they give Gavin is a complete joke. He critizes referees for the smallest transgression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Robson99 wrote: »

Babs is a complete waste of oxygen and that sentiment is consistent from all counties, including his own. But Gavin is also a bitter clown nd his articles are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Babs is a complete waste of oxygen and that sentiment is consistent from all counties, including his own. But Gavin is also a bitter clown nd his articles are a disgrace.

Dont agree,he calls it exactly like it is.
    I guess you have your own agenda!

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Dont agree,he calls it exactly like it is.
    I guess you have your own agenda!

Who Babs or Gavin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement