Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play a trad instrument?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I can play a few tunes on the squeezebox but nothing spectacular. I have 2 older brothers that play it to a pretty high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Lyra

bruachain wrote:
    Were any of ye involved in CCÉ/fleadhanna as kids or even still now?? If so what branches/where?

Yes, took part every year for a good few years, in the tin whistle and flute I used to dread playing in competitions but loved going to the fleadhs :) still do but now its for my own enjoyment and I don't have to worry about playing in competitions.
    I was and still am a member of Roscommon CCE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

I play the flute and tin whistle.

I'm in beaumont CCÉ, I can't make it to the leinster fleadh this year unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I play the bagpipes or as the fleadh likes to call them the warpipes, started when i was 7, and im 20 now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paddydaledge

I play Flute, Uilleann Pipes, Tin Whistle, Guitar, Bódran-and the snare drum in a marching band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bip

I played classical flute for two years and just last year was bought a traditional one but find the finger stretches really difficult i cant play for longer then 15-20 mins, anyone got any suggestions apart from sticking at it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Lyra

Bip wrote:
    I played classical flute for two years and just last year was bought a traditional one but find the finger stretches really difficult i cant play for longer then 15-20 mins, anyone got any suggestions apart from sticking at it?!

Sorry, sticking at it is the only advice I can give you. When I started the flute I spent lots of time practicing and I have short fat fingers so if I can do it you can ;) 15mins every day is long enough when you're starting off, it will all fall into place after a while, don't worry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bip

Ok thankyou... I'll suffer on!! I do love it but Oh the pain! maybe I should stick to classical.. and on the short fat fingers note, mine arent and i still find the stretch difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mad4trad

Hi,Ive played the fiddle for the last 14 years(trad).My advice is to stick at it.Its worth it,you meet so many ppl playing music and the festivals are great!Speaking of which theres a festival coming up in Co.Clare called Seisuin na hEireann.If ya play in a trad group its well worth entering the festival as it has a top prize of E5000!As far as im aware they are still taking entries.All details can be found on this link:
    www.bestpubsession.com

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I play traditional guitar. Mostly play sessions in Sligo. Played with a band called Spraoi over the summer (concertina, flute, low whistle). At the moment playing Sundays in McGarrigles, so drop in for a tune if you're passing by (10pm to late).

Also love playing at the festivals over the summer. This summer I managed to get a few nice tunes in Milltown Malbay, Tubbercirry, Drumshanbo, Keadue, Gurteen Coleman fest and hopefully catch a few autmn and winterfests as well. :D

I'm currently learning the Mandolin, that's if music123.com ever actually send me the thing :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

I play bodhran and the whistle. Planning on learning trad piano in time to enter the fleadh, if only because I know I can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I play the flute. But recently just havnt as much time to devote to it as before:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I Play Guitar, Mandolin, Badhran and a very basic amount of banjo <very very basic>

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Trad + classical flute,tin whistle,guitar,piano,bodhrán,recorder and piccolo. Although I play a lot of classical stuff I much prefer traditional and want to learn more.......mabey I'll take up fiddle..........hmm......I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I play Button Accordion and keyboards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Bip wrote:

Watch your fingers in a mirror - getting the visual feedback can help 'work through the pain'. You already play flute, so posture isn't a problem. However, because it's a new instrument you can be inclined to let things slip a bit. Using a mirror helps keep that in check, and keeps comfort levels up.

I had a similar problem when I switched from tin whistle to low whistle - thought my fingers had all been broken. There's a guy here who recently took up bass, and he's very impressed with how far he can stretch his fingers now. I handed him a low whistle yesterday and he had trouble just holding it. I politely refrained from actually playing it, as my lungs would probably explode at the minute. It was a sadistic man invented that thing. A beautiful, beautiful, sadistic man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aoife_xx

yep i play the concertina! :) my whole family play aswel! its gret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

Lap Harp and learning the psaltery. The lap harp's a very American trad, and the psaltery's so trad nobody's ever heard of it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

well i play the piano (vamped), the giutar and the bodhrán but am soon picking up the fiddle. should be fun to go busking some day...did you know the bodhran player beside the molly malone gets about net €250 A DAY!!! well so he says...

and LIL IRISH.. the psaltery is a medieval instrument played by monks in the medieval period of music (11th century)...very cool instrument i like it....where you get your hands on one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

Yes, the sound is similiar to the fiddle, but it's much more difficult to play chords and change notes quickly.

I got my psaltery from the nice folks at Craggy Mountain Music http://craggymtnmusic.com/index.html.

I purchased the 30 string walnut model with the Celtic knotwork on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 seamunkey

Well folks, nice to see the trad still very popular. Took up the fiddle as a young lad... played for 13yrs or so and lost interest (my musical ear wandered to Metallica, AC/DC, Tool, Kerbdog etc..) But I'm getting back into it again - I've heards alot of folks drop it for a while and go back with a new love for... Looking back, I've played tunes with Frank McGann, Neol Hill, Paddy Clancy, Joe Burke, Kevin Crawford and loads more.. and each one had given me the advice to keep it up (maybe to get practicing, ???, :rolleyes: ) Anyway, ya I like Trad...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 atholl45

I play the bagpipes, big into it but i'm gona start learing the fiddle aswell. Don't know how it'll work out, big difference between the two instruments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fergusonceltic

I could use one yesterday... or tomorrow if your available. I play live shows, have one out in Sligo in the near future. Ring 087 9009541

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I play a few, mostly banjo and mandolin, some tinwhistle and I am just starting fiddle. I've been playing for about six years and consider myself pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cravian

I play the fiddle, been at it about 2 years and still going strong. Looking forward to when I'll be able to hold a tune in about another 10 ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mike_kati

the flute:)

and have 5 or 6 tinwhistle

i find it hard to find good irish sheet music:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobzee

I play the tin whistle, piano accordian and low whistle...can bang out one or two tunes on the madolin and banjo..

www.thesession.org is a great resource for tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

I play piano accordion. But i'm still a gentleman, despite that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Silvio64

Hi folks! :D

I'm a new member! I'm italian but every year from 1998 I come back in Ireland for my holidays.
    I play C#D button accordion... Uhmmm.... I try to play it!

My mife play bodhran and try to play fiddle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alliekatt

Hiya! I play the guitar not too shabbily, and do some singing myself. I wouldnt' mind a few gigs around town if I can find the fellow players. I can get a good vibe going with mando and fiddle players definitely.

alliekatt

Advertisement