Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightforce Competition or March?

• 02-11-2015 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Has anyone tried the NightForce Competition scope?

I've been saving up the coppers for a while and looking to buy soon. Currently, using a Nightforce 8-32 PBR model. The scope will be used for 1000ya competitions and further.

Not sure if I should get the NF or just save up a bit longer and get the March 8-80.

The March is close to double the price of the NF. :eek:

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

FISMA. wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the NightForce Competition scope?

I've been saving up the coppers for a while and looking to buy soon. Currently, using a Nightforce 8-32 PBR model. The scope will be used for 1000ya competitions and further.

Not sure if I should get the NF or just save up a bit longer and get the March 8-80.

The March is close to double the price of the NF. :eek:

Thanks for any feedback.

I have owned a March 8-80 and used nightforce competition models also. Is the March a better scope? In my opinion yes... but is it double the price better... hell no.

Also the eye relief on the March can be very picky. It's fine if your only ever going to use it in a single position, in my case prone, but it would be a nightmare if your shooting entails different positions.

If it were me and I was doing it again , between those two options, I would go with the nightforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

bravestar wrote: »
    In my opinion yes... but is it double the price better... hell no.

Thanks for the advice.

My price on the March is going to be about 25% more than the NF.

Dedicated long range shooting, usually benchrest, maybe prone, on a big bore.

Thinking about the March. Too much extra mag for just a 25% up cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

I've used both and currently own a March 8-80

I agree with Bravestar that the extra price probably isn't worth it but if your going to spend that kind of money you should buy what you want.

The eye relief is picky on high mags and fine on lower mags but once set up for the shooting your doing its not an issue.

Is one better than the other?? Both track and function as they should, both are 10MOA per rev' and both have all the travel you need for long range shooting. The March has more power and image quality is subjective, I find them hard to split on clarity but your only resolving rings on paper anyway. Contrast and image temperature - I found NF to be neutral to cold comparing to March slightly warmer image.

I'd recommend looking through both before outlaying a chunk of cash on either. Your welcome to have a look through mine any weekend @ Midlands.

Forgot to mention - March is the winner for me... :)

1jay1 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention - March is the winner for me... :)
    Thanks.

Which reticles did you have on the NF and March?

Thanks for the offer, but I am not at home right now.Next time I am, I will have to get out to the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

Nightforce - CTR-2
    March 3/16 Target Dot
    I liked the NP-R2 on my NF 12-42 too.

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on March's MTR-4 illuminated reticle for a dedicated 1000ya rifle?

My belief is that the black of the circular target will be easier to align and eliminate parallax with the concentric circle of the reticle.

Ideas?

Does anyone see any drawback from the reticle?

Also, it turns out that I could get the illuminated for the same price as the regular reticle. Thus, I am going to get the illuminated.

Any pro's or con's on illuminated vs non, other than price? Any reason to not go with the illuminated?
    MTR-4-Reticle.png
    Thanks in advance!

Lads,
    Thanks for the help. The new scope just arrived. In an anti-static bag too!
    march_zpssllxiay7.jpg

Almost bought the NF, and may do so later, but in the end, decided on the March 8-80x56mm with the MTR-4.

For around €700 more, I have 25x more top end mag and an illuminated reticle.

For now, the NF BR 8-32 will find a nice home on the 308. May flog it to finance the NF Comp.

Thus, the heavy hitter gets the big mag. Can't wait to see those 1000ya targets!

Lastly, I agree, the March is picky. But should not be a problem as a dedicated BR scope.

Went with NightForce rings - prefer their six bolt pattern over March's four. Until I can afford a Spuhr, that's that!

Again, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

I feel your pain :):):)

empty-wallet.jpg

clivej wrote: »
    I feel your pain :):):)

Excellent so, next round is yours!!!

If my calculations are correct, the black circle of the target we shoot should fit nicely, concentrically, and just inside the reticle's circle.

I am hoping the center dot will be easy to get in the middle of the target and the outer circle will help take out any remaining parallax.

We'll see.

Already thinking about the Spuhr 20moa mount!:o

march1_zps02giqxpi.jpg

Advertisement