Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any gay gamers in here?

• 17-10-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So, any gay gamers (or gaymers as the internets say) on here? Be interesting to know that I'm not a mega nerd on my own in my 30s lol.

Love my video games. Systems I have at the moment are, Xbox original & Xbone, Dreamcast, GameCube & Wii inside a WiiU *wink wink*, ps2/3/4, Gba sp, ds, 3ds, psp and psvita. I have a Megadrive but I don't have it hooked up as I use the psp or WiiU for those really retro systems, not too fussed about controllers. Not into pc gaming at all. But it's something I might be interested in down the line (on the cheap)

Getting into my dreamcast at the moment, giving Sonic Adventure a shot. And ordered couple new dreamcast games from hucast this afternoon so looking forward to giving them a go in the next week or two :)

How about you guys? Gamers? Older like me? Obessed with games? What games are your all time favs? Favourite systems?

K, go! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I am a gaymer :)

I used to play video games when I was younger, before I went to college, but lately my social life has taken a huge hit mostly due to work commitments. Most evenings I'm now working from home for a couple of hours, it's not uncommon for me to have 2 laptops (personal and work) and a tablet (work) in front of me for 2-3 hours at a time (which is why I'm also here most evenings!) but I've gotten back into gaming as a result mainly through Steam and also emulators (PS1 and PS2).

I like survival horror (except resident evil, that series turned into such a mess so quickly) and co-op shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I am a gaymer :)

I used to play video games when I was younger, before I went to college, but lately my social life has taken a huge hit mostly due to work commitments. Most evenings I'm now working from home for a couple of hours, it's not uncommon for me to have 2 laptops (personal and work) and a tablet (work) in front of me for 2-3 hours at a time (which is why I'm also here most evenings!) but I've gotten back into gaming as a result mainly through Steam and also emulators (PS1 and PS2).

I like survival horror (except resident evil, that series turned into such a mess so quickly) and co-op shooters.

Jaysus that's a lot of screens on the go at once! Bloody work. What emulators do you use for ps games?

Ah Ressy, I still love 4, and revelations on the 3ds and revelations 2 were pretty good.

You ever play any of the project zero games? New one coming to the WiiU in a few weeks but the first 3 were on the ps2 as far as I know. Looking forward to playing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

ePSX1 v1.7 for PS1 and pcx2 for PS2

The work thing doesn't bother me and it's not 'active' work in the evenings, just running reports and being on call for people in the US so mostly the work machines just tick over so I'm usually on Steam.

I loved res 1-3 and Operation Raccoon City but any other res title can feck right off! Also I used to hate RPGs but got into FF8 a while back (still hate 7, it does NOT deserve all the praise it gets).

Favorite series by a long shot is Silent Hill, such deep and immersive stories and beautiful soundtracks

Oh and yeah, I had Project Zero 1-3 when I had an actual PS2, loved them. No idea where they are now though, that was ages ago

Only rpg I could get into was earthbound, loved it for its oddness and soundtrack. I try with other jrpg's and the like every so often but I just don't have the patience after a bit, ha.

FF7, I've tried but lose interest. But I will give the remake a go in 20 years when it gets a release.

Silent Hills is awesome! such a pity about the latest cancelled one. That PT was brilliant. I think someone had a kickstarter going for a similar game a few weeks ago but it was stopped or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Just poke-gay-man......

I'll show myself out.

Never had the patience for snes or genesis games, I guess the 16 bit genre just doesn't hold my interest.

Was so gutted about Silent Hills, the project is dead in the water without Kojima and del Toro :( It was rumored that they were bringing Akira Yamaoka back to do the soundtrack, the man is a phenomenal musician.

I should mention that I have a PS3 but it literally never gets used, my friends probably play it more than I do. I picked it up to play the Killzone games and the Goldeneye remake that turned out to be a big disappointment.

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Just poke-gay-man......

my_pikachu_form_by_timmy_gost.png

Pick up all 3 uncharted games and the last of us! AMAZING games! And dead space 1&2, and Bioshock 1&2, and The evil within, those will get you into the ps3 again :)

Nathan Drake is quite hot :D

I have Dead Space 1 + 2, and Bioshock 1, 2 and infinite on Steam :p

Evil Within is on my wishlist! Roll on Steam sale!

Actually, now that I think about it there is a game that I was looking for a while back that is a PS3 exclusive. Heavy Rain, anyone played it that could recommend it, or not?

Nathan Drake is quite hot :D

I have Dead Space 1 + 2, and Bioshock 1, 2 and infinite on Steam :p

Evil Within is on my wishlist! Roll on Steam sale!

Actually, now that I think about it there is a game that I was looking for a while back that is a PS3 exclusive. Heavy Rain, anyone played it that could recommend it, or not?

Nathan Drake is a RIDE!

Haven't played heavy rain due to some very mixed reviews over the years. Have you played Infinite yet? I felt a bit let down by it since it had such a long development cycle. I was following it all the time and it changed so much from the original idea and stuff, just kinda felt like play by numbers in a way. I don't understand all the praise it get tbh. But then, games are like any entertainment, each to their own an all that.

Dead Space 3, such a disappointment compared to the first 2 games.

Evil Within (in my eyes) would totally worth the 50 I spent on it. Loved every second. Hope there will be a sequel.

• Advertisement

Yep, infinite was not what I was expecting. It has stunning visuals but they changed the formula too dramatically, it didn't have anywhere near the same atmosphere as the first 2.

I like games that have a rich storyline and a plot that keeps you interested, a psychological element always helps which is why I'd be drawn to the likes of Silent Hill, Alan Wake, Amnesia (machine for pigs is definitely worth a look) and Condemned.

If I'm just trying to get some downtime and can't be bothered with all that then usually an online FPS does the job :D

Guess I'm going to have to get uncharted now (damn you :p)

I've always sucked at gaming. I used play my sister's NES a lot when I was a kid but was never really that good at it. :o I loved the first two Megaman games, and have spent rather a significant amount of time watching videos of other people playing the classic series Megaman games on Youtube (partly for the gameplay but aprobably more so for the soundtracks; so much 8-bit goodness!! :D)

Nowadays I have a 3DS, that I only bought because I had a load of vouchers to use up, and I play Pokémon but only own Black and Black 2; if I get more vouchers (birthday and Christmas are coming up!) I may finally get myself X or Y.

Stuff like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid or any of those online things like CoD or WoW or WHAToEVER are completely alien to me. I suspect if I ever did try playing any of those games I would suck horribly at them but somehow still become addicted, and continue to suck despite spending hours at them....

^ I never had a Gameboy.
    *cries over neglected childhood* :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Big into my PC gaming here ;)

I like a lot of RPGs, stealthy and strategy games. Currently playing Darkest Dungeon, which is phenominal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm a console gamer in my early 30s, and I'm engaged to a pc gamer - love knows no boundaries :pac:

My current main consoles are the PS4, Wii U and 3DS. My favourite genres would be platformers and RPGs but I like all sorts of games.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan so a lot of their main series would be among my favourites, Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. I've always been a huge Pokemon fan too, to the point of obsession at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Labreya

I'm mainly on PS4, but I sometimes game on my PC, though very rarely.

I also have a selection of consoles going back to the Mega Drive hooked to my tv. My boyfriend is also a Nintendo fan, but he mainly plays on his tablet and PC these days.

Looks like we have a few gamers on here, good to know! :)

Do any of yous play online? I don't, I'm very much a single player/couch co op kinda guy. When ever I branch out and try a cod or any other online game, get killed instantly or have no idea what's going on. That aspect kinda past over me.

Also, I HATE cod lol

I play online if I'm bored but I much prefer co-op rather than deathmatch.

CoD and Battlefield are a waste of time, there are too many cheaters and it lost it's fun factor a long time ago. Some people take it way too seriously. Much prefer Ghost Recon Future Soldier or CSGO (not always fun either but at least no shortage of players).

I enjoy the co-op modes of Left 4 Dead, Interstellar Marines, Dead Island and even sometimes Castle Crashers :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I play very few online games, I used to play Payday 2, but the devs monumentally ****ed the game up. Shame, because it was one of the few multiplayer games I really enjoyed, and made quite a few friends playing it.

Thinking of going for Vermintide, it looks really good.

• Advertisement

Payday 2 has to be going for the record for highest number of useless and buggy DLCs of any game (Hotline Miami DLC was nice though)

I have Payday 1 but I deleted it a while ago, might re-download it again sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I love couch co-op but I'm not a big fan of online games with the exception of Splatoon. It's really fun and easy to get into compared to any other online game I've tried.

elekid wrote: »
    I love couch co-op but I'm not a big fan of online games with the exception of Splatoon. It's really fun and easy to get into compared to any other online game I've tried.

Yeah splatoon is great fun, must get back into, haven't played in a couple months.

Started Project Zero on the Xbox last night in preparation for the new one on the WiiU coming. I like it so far. Anyone else played the series?

Are you speedrunning or trying to capture all the ghosts? From memory I think it takes 2 playthroughs to get them all in PZ1

I think just a quick run through of the first 3 games to get a good feel of them.

Have you played them all? You gonna pick up the new one on the 30th?

I dont have a WiiU so I wont be getting the new one, there was also a wii game from the series a few years ago which I didn't play either, just 1-3 on PS2.

Crimson Butterfly (PZ2) is by far the best of them, intense atmosphere and it scared the $hite out of me!!

I dont have a WiiU so I wont be getting the new one, there was also a wii game from the series a few years ago which I didn't play either, just 1-3 on PS2.

Crimson Butterfly (PZ2) is by far the best of them, intense atmosphere and it scared the $hite out of me!!

Haha yeah I've heard the second one is the best. If I can find the fan translated PZ4 I'll give it a go at some point as I've heard its pretty good with with wiimote.

On another note, how do people feel about main protagonists in games being (most of the time) straight white males? it was a big issue a few months back, especially with EA speaking out about it and that they could be working on a new franchise with a gay (albeit white male) protagonists.

Now personally I couldn't give two s**** who the main character is in a game I'm playing at all, but do people here think it's needed I'm games?

The main problem for companies as they have said is that they would have no problem having main characters being gay/lesbian/bil/trans, but it all kinda boils down to sales, most of the straight white males just wouldn't pick the game up for that fact, which, don't know about Europe, but I'd well believe it would be true for a vast amount of American gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Never had the patience for snes or genesis games, I guess the 16 bit genre just doesn't hold my interest.

tumblr_mvq41pVwn91r4s15ko1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I too am a Gaymer, mostly RPGs but massively love Halo. Final Fantasy is pretty much my favourite but I adore Dragon Age. Xbox 360 and Xbox One these days but have been gaming since the NES.

• Advertisement

But... I am out... :confused:

Seriously though, I did try them. I never said they were bad systems or games, I said they couldn't hold my attention. I never had the machines myself, I'm of a younger generation :p but I had emulators on my old laptop (ZSNES and K Fusion). I couldn't get into them which is why they didn't survive the move to my new machine a while ago.

I know there are plenty of gems on those systems but for me the 16 bit era is pretty much defined by platformers (which I hate) without any depth or story (which is why I can't connect to them). Also, 16 bit can't do first person, they just look horrible! However, with that in mind here are the 16 bit games that I did find very enjoyable.

SNES
    Star Fox
    Secret of Mana
    Bomberman
    Assault Suits Valkan (not the censored PAL ѕhite they released as Cybernator, two key scenes were cut from EU version)

Genesis
    Jungle Strike
    Shinobi
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Streets of Rage 1 & 2 (why did they have to utterly ruin it with 3?)

Advertisement