Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times should my dog wee a day??

• 03-05-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Ok so Im sure this has been asked before but here is the situation. My lab mix seems to hardly ever pee when she goes out. Today I took note and she definitely only went once this morning. She doesn't drink a whole lot of water either. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is she fed on wet food? If so they don't tend to drink as much when they're on wet food. If she's on dry food dogs do tend to drink after their dinner (well mine do) and then will have the occasional drink after running around but they probably drink a bit more than some dogs because they run so much. Saying that between the three of the they would drink one large bowl of water in a day. If it's hot out (well above about 16 degrees) they tend to go through a lot more water two to three bowls a day depending on what they're up to.

Some dogs pee more often than others, eg my collie can hold her pee longer than the middle one and the youngest lad is doesn't seem to need a pee often he'll pee in the morning, afternoon, evening a few times. But we have three dogs so they tend to pee over each others pee so probably pee more often than a dog living on their own.

I'd say a dog living on their own should pee minimum of 3 to 4 times a day if out for a walk they might pee more often. But as said it all depends all dogs are different.

If you are worried though you can if possible catch her pee in a sterile jar and the vet can test it for you doesn't cost too much I think to have it tested, keep an eye to if she's in pain when peeing or if she's dehydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Is she fed on wet food? If so they don't tend to drink as much when they're on wet food. If she's on dry food dogs do tend to drink after their dinner (well mine do) and then will have the occasional drink after running around but they probably drink a bit more than some dogs because they run so much. Saying that between the three of the they would drink one large bowl of water in a day. If it's hot out (well above about 16 degrees) they tend to go through a lot more water two to three bowls a day depending on what they're up to.

Some dogs pee more often than others, eg my collie can hold her pee longer than the middle one and the youngest lad is doesn't seem to need a pee often he'll pee in the morning, afternoon, evening a few times. But we have three dogs so they tend to pee over each others pee so probably pee more often than a dog living on their own.

I'd say a dog living on their own should pee minimum of 3 to 4 times a day if out for a walk they might pee more often. But as said it all depends all dogs are different.

If you are worried though you can if possible catch her pee in a sterile jar and the vet can test it for you doesn't cost too much I think to have it tested, keep an eye to if she's in pain when peeing or if she's dehydrated.

I feed her a mixture of dry and wet. She does drink after her food, and sometimes after she plays ball she drinks. She doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain or discomfort, it just seems odd! But of course I am comparing her to my 9 yr old male border collie for drinking and urinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

My girl only pees a couple of times a day - and she can cross her legs for an amazingly long time.

The boy pees all the time. But he does drink more and doesn't seem to produce the same volume in one go

well that makes me feel better. I haven't had a female dog since I was like 7 so I can't remember what that was like! Hopefully now she will go before bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She sounds perfectly normal I wouldn't worry about her it's always good to keep an eye on their poos and pees anyway. I know my collie girl can go 12 hours (as in middle of winter at night) without peeing but my middle girl usually has one pee at night and so does the youngest. So it's like ourselves some can drink like fishes and hardly pee and others need to go more often.

• Advertisement

Thanks :) I guess I just find myself obsessing over them for no reason sometimes. It's good to get confirmation from other pet owners though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Males have the compulsion to pee on everything (particularly if they are entire and marking) where as females will just pee when they have the need to do so. In saying this, my female could go 12 hours without peeing, esp. if it is raining outside :rolleyes: Obviously, it depends on the weather, diet and how much they drink but, generally, females have steel bladders.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

Males have the compulsion to pee on everything (particularly if they are entire and marking) where as females will just pee when they have the need to do so. In saying this, my female could go 12 hours without peeing, esp. if it is raining outside :rolleyes: Obviously, it depends on the weather, diet and how much they drink but, generally, females have steel bladders.

Yours must be related to mine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Hooked

mirekb wrote: »

Yours must be related to mine:D

And mine! Hugo marks everything! Goes to bed in his crate for 7 and 8, even 9 hours. Never wets. Let out in the morning while I grab his harness etc.. Nothing. We head for a walk/run... Marks like a mad thing! Not just the females are good at holding it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I take our two bitches out every couple of hours and they oblige each time.. collie waits until wee dog has peed then uses the same place, Collie has a bad habit of peeing to mark where wee dog's empty bowl is after feeding, so they get fed outside now; they have a dominance issue going on even after six years. Licking the bowl and peeing simultaneously is clever co-ordination...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mine can easily hold it for 12/13 hours. The norm would be once on morning walk, once at 2-3pm and again on evening walk. On longer walks it could be anything from 1-4 times. but sometimes she does nothing on the midday walk...:confused: she has a constant water supply.
    she once held it for nearly 24 hours when I was away:eek: despite being taken out frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My neutered male terrier could pee no joke up to about 20+ times on a 1 hour walk. He needs to mark every single blade of grass. Proper pees he does first thing in the morning, lunch time, evening and last thing at night. He can hold it for easily 12/13 hours and even then he would be in no rush outside. Despite being neutered years ago he's a devil for marking anything and everything. He also sometimes gets lazy during the winter if the weathers very bad and pees on the curtains beside the door instead of going outside, we do joke that we need a roof over a portion of the garden for him!

Zapperzy wrote: »
    My neutered male terrier could pee no joke up to about 20+ times on a 1 hour walk. He needs to mark every single blade of grass. Proper pees he does first thing in the morning, lunch time, evening and last thing at night. He can hold it for easily 12/13 hours and even then he would be in no rush outside. Despite being neutered years ago he's a devil for marking anything and everything. He also sometimes gets lazy during the winter if the weathers very bad and pees on the curtains beside the door instead of going outside, we do joke that we need a roof over a portion of the garden for him!

Ha! We kind of have an awning of sorts over the front entrance of the house. If it is rainy or snowy our border collie slowly walks under it so he doesn't get wet or cold paw, pees on the side of the house and bolts back inside! And he used to be an outside dog! How soon he forgot :D

Advertisement