Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send SMS via .Net in Ireland

• 20-02-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to use any .Net classes to send SMS messages? I've seen examples on a few sites but they're all for India only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Is it possible to use any .Net classes to send SMS messages? I've seen examples on a few sites but they're all for India only

You can, but according to my googling and experience you need either a third party service or something called a GSM modem.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5467905/sending-sms-from-asp-net-website

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Take a look at twilio.com, it's probably the best of the modern providers and has official API libraries for most platforms including .net

https://www.twilio.com/docs/libraries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you have a Vodafone/3/O2/whatever account, you can emulate their WebText solution, although they try to make it as difficult to do so as possible. It requires some reverse engineering of the function on their website, but it's not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

+1 on twilio, excellent service

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Any of the decent providers will provide code samples for using their services.

I have used Nexmo and found them to be excellent (but not Irish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

From what I can see on that twillio site I'd have to pay to send the messages. Is this correct?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From what I can see on that twillio site I'd have to pay to send the messages. Is this correct?

Correct.

Free services are either very short lived or involve cobbling together workarounds to use allowances included in a mobile phone package.

• Administrators Posts: 53,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

+1 on Twilio.

Free services are worthless. Ultimately there is a cost associated with sending SMS as imposed by network providers so why would anyone absorb 100% of that cost and not pass it on to the people actually doing the sending?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

what I've used previously is a gsm modem ( using an old spare mobile phone) that gives free messaging with many prepay Sims very cheaply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I used Essendex with Java before, very easy.

Nearly sure it will work in .Net world too.

Not free though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement