Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT vs COMPUTING SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT

• 04-03-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Delco

I'm planning on re-educating myself.

I'm torn between software development and computing systems management.

Which degree offers better career prospects?
    I would prefer to stay in Ireland once i graduate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Depends on the degree content, the specific college and course, what you learn as you go, what you want to work at etc.

But just going on purely the information you gave, I'd say 'software development', sounds like you might learn more of the core tech skills there, which is what you want from a degree. 'Computing systems management' might be completely fine, but sounds like it could be more wishy washy, to a first guess.

But thats just a rough guess without more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭ mightyreds

I would go with development I'm in year 3 of a degree and we mix with systems management for some classes, for me it seems they will be moving on to support roles and they found it hard with work placement, where's company's couldn't get enough of development side offering fully paid placements and plenty of interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

If you're feeling brave and have a degree already you can go the 1 year hDip route rather than doing a full degree again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mitch_93

Computing systems management tends to me more IT support orientated with a mix of business thrown in as well, which is fine but if your looking for more core Computer Science then the development course would be much better. You can expect to stay in Ireland with either degree although everyone in the CS courses in my college had placement in 3rd year long in advance compared to the other courses.

Advertisement