Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wetherspoons in Wexford?

• 14-01-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭

From yesterday's Wexford People Paper - http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/business/uk-pub-operator-wetherspoons-look-to-wexford-30903776.html
    UK pub operator JD Wetherspoon is looking for a premises in Wexford town.

The company recently scouted out the Chocolate Bar, close to the Bullring, which is on the books at Kehoe and Associates for €525,000, but did not proceed with a deal.

'Yes, they did view the premises, but for a number of reasons it wasn't suitable,' said Colum Murphy, managing director of Kehoe and Associates.

JD Wetherspon opened its second pub in Ireland last month, creating 60 new jobs at the Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire,

It spent €2.8m developing the outlet on the site of an existing bar, in The Pavilion Centre, Marine Road, overlooking Dun Laoghaire Harbour.

JD Wetherspoon opened its first pub in Ireland - the Three Tun Tavern in Blackrock, Dublin, last July and is planning a major expansion throughout the country, with four more premises in Cork and Dublin due to open soon.

So, if Wetherspoons did open in Wexford, would you approve?

Would their low cost alcohol add to the social scene in town or cause further problems? (anyone on the town late at night knows what I mean and whilst its not unique to Wexford, it remains a sometimes unlawful mess)

Would you be one to stop in for a few quick pints and something to eat?

Personally, I think it would be a great move for the people of Wexford in that it adds competition to the other business, which is never a bad thing. The food, whilst not Michelin star quality, is exactly what you pay for and I like the fact that their layout involves no loud music or sport on the television which would offer something vastly different to what you find in the majority of pubs in town.

Like Dublin (namely Temple Bar) certain pubs deserve a kick up the backside with regards their prices on alcohol, I think the same thing would apply in Wexford especially with the likes of The Stores who enjoy a monopoly whilst dishing up sub-standard drink and atmosphere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

thumbs up from me too, although i'd say it will be resisted to the last, someone think of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'd welcome it,fed up paying through the nose for so called "premium brand" pints.

It won't lead to a rise in problems from the local alcho's as they'll stick to their Dutch Gold cans and won't be allowed in.

JD's carry a great selection of craft beers too.It'll be a nice kick in the hole for the pub trade down this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

Murtinho wrote: »
    thumbs up from me too, although i'd say it will be resisted to the last, someone think of the children.

Oh no doubt we will have Hamilton on again, protesting that a pub will take away from his trade of broken chairs and musty wallets. Think Wetherspoons, just like T Maxx, would have far too much going for it, especially with regards employment. They tend to be quite large places.
    zerks wrote: »
    I'd welcome it,fed up paying through the nose for so called "premium brand" pints.

It won't lead to a rise in problems from the local alcho's as they'll stick to their Dutch Gold cans and won't be allowed in.

JD's carry a great selection of craft beers too.It'll be a nice kick in the hole for the pub trade down this way.

Depends on who gets the security contract - will it be guys from town or do Wetherspoons have their own preference in Ireland? How long will bouncers attend the place? Would nothing worse than to go in on a Monday afternoon for a quick bite to eat and have a Monday club clogging up the bar.

Agree with you on the range of beers, though we do have an element of that in town with the Sky and the Ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pay 4.40 for a lager in the local or pay 2.50 in Wetherspoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

If one opens, it will be very good.

Provide some much needed competition and wake people up to what value is.
    Plently of places around for when you want a fancier drink.

Food also usually isn't bad once you have realistic expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

These are drinking houses and not pubs. Lifeless, soulless dumps.

Go to any of then in Britain and you will see mostly yobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Would be excellent and totally disagree with the above poster.

seanaway wrote: »

I've been in a few in different parts of the UK,never saw any yobs.Fair enough if you open a pub in a sh1tty part of a town or city you'll attract a certain clientel.But that doesn't seem to be their plan for Ireland.

Every town in Ireland already has a dodgy pub that yobs go to & the rest of us avoid.

JD's will be serving food & that will attract people who aren't yobs.Look at the ones opened in Dublin and read the thread about it.

Been to quite a few in the UK and always found them ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Im in the UK every month and use Weatherspoons pubs all the time. They are fine. All sorts of clientelle. All are clean and good value. Id use them if they were local to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Messrs Hamilton & Tierney will be complaining if there is a sniff of action by Wetherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

I'm sure Hayes will have a say too.

Not having the knowledge, but surely they can't stop them from moving into an already licensed premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Messrs Hamilton & Tierney will be complaining if there is a sniff of action by Wetherspoons

Hate both of them so much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Never been to one but sounds like a grand idea, better option than Chocolate as it currently stands at least.

Never been to one but sounds like a grand idea, better option than Chocolate as it currently stands at least.

Here's the one in Blackrock.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/

three_tun.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

Thanks for the picture, Zerks.

Looks clean and tidy, simplistic. Plenty of space, large bar which means you shouldnt end up stacked at it and the bar itself looks to be stocked by a pretty large amount (and hopefully different types) of beer.

Corvo wrote: »

Looks clean and tidy, simplistic. Plenty of space, large bar which means you shouldnt end up stacked at it and the bar itself looks to be stocked by a pretty large amount (and hopefully different types) of beer.

I went to the 40 foot in dublin (Dun Laoghaire) last week.

Was there at lunch. Menu looked good. Food was ok (for the price I can't complain).

Place was clean and well staffed. The no table service and cash up front might be a surprise to some people but given that its the norm in all pubs in the UK, it was not unexpected.

Corvo wrote: »

Here's the beer menu.Better than the usual we normally see of Bud,Heino and Guinness with not much else on offer.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFootDec14.pdf

That Blackrock place looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I hear that Wetherspoons are considering putting in an offer for the Antique Tavern - it's like the Tardis inside. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I hear that Wetherspoons are considering putting in an offer for the Antique Tavern - it's like the Tardis inside. :D

Where?

Zhane wrote: »
    Where?

The Antique in Enniscorthy,that post was tongue in cheek.It's a tiny pub.

zerks wrote: »
    Here's the beer menu.Better than the usual we normally see of Bud,Heino and Guinness with not much else on offer.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFootDec14.pdf

Wow, great list of beers.

I note that they are selling Moet & Chandon 750ml Brut Imperial for € 35.00 :eek:

This is normally retailing at € 43.00 / € 44.00 in Tesco !!

^^^^^^^^^

Sorry try € 49.49 in Tesco for Moet and Chandon :eek:

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255245509

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

ezra_ wrote: »
    I went to the 40 foot in dublin (Dun Laoghaire) last week.

Was there at lunch. Menu looked good. Food was ok (for the price I can't complain).

Place was clean and well staffed. The no table service and cash up front might be a surprise to some people but given that its the norm in all pubs in the UK, it was not unexpected.

Ah sure let's have the same pubs as over there so.. No more character pubs owner owned- leave it to the big companies.. you never know. Irish water might get in on the act.. beat Ballygowan et al at their own game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah sure let's have the same pubs as over there so.. No more character pubs owner owned- leave it to the big companies.. you never know. Irish water might get in on the act.. beat Ballygowan et al at their own game. :)
    Mate went to the Forty Footer in Dun Laoghaire, and also to the one in Blackrock. Seems the one in Dun Laoghaire doesn't have quite the atsmosphere as the one in Blackrock has. Have been to the one in Blackrock, and it's very good.`

It seems Wetherspoons are only buying the "old" looking pubs, and not the modern looking ones.

As for "ower owned"... that to me means high prices, since it's only one man buying enough for that one pub, etc, who would fear losing footfall if they couldn't get Heino.

So I'd wonder how, like petrol pump prices, it affects pubs nearby?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 imperator567

Dumps ?

Some are listed buildings. 13th century coaching inns.

I have been in about 50 never seen any trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 imperator567

Once again someone who has no experience of them.

Google wetherspoons Harrogate and tell me its a dump with no character. Its one of the finest pubs I have been in anywhere.

I suppose the beer is crap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I and a friend have seen men in suits going into and leaving the former Crescent Bar/Asple's on Crescent Quay a few times about a month or so ago.

Two weeks ago a British-registered arctic was parked outside with a Yorkshire accented driver and two young 'uns unloading what looked like boxes of pint glasses and bringing them inside.

Since then... nothing.

• Advertisement

RadioRetro wrote: »
    I and a friend have seen men in suits going into and leaving the former Crescent Bar/Asple's on Crescent Quay a few times about a month or so ago.

Two weeks ago a British-registered arctic was parked outside with a Yorkshire accented driver and two young 'uns unloading what looked like boxes of pint glasses and bringing them inside.

Since then... nothing.

Did you or any other Wexford Town natives hear who bought Chocolate? There was talks of JD's before but the asking price was too steep.

Advertisement