Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

ziedth wrote: »
    This city is starting to borderline scare me. Jesus I'm not a fan of bouncers at times but using pepper spray is madness.

Yeah I was in most places last night and there was a fight in nearly every one of them. But thats half the fun knowing you might not make it out alive :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What were they fighting about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

deisedave wrote: »
    I did notice the bouncer arguing with someone who is known to be a regular scumbag and is just out of jail, so would not be to surprised if he came back with the spray

First the judges give lenient sentences, and then the scumbags don't even serve the sentence.

I think the should put barbed wire all around Waterford Castle, put all the scumbags there, and helicopter drop in fish-heads once a month. Let the scumbags fight eachother to the death there.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

dayshah wrote: »
    First the judges give lenient sentences, and then the scumbags don't even serve the sentence.

I think the should put barbed wire all around Waterford Castle, put all the scumbags there, and helicopter drop in fish-heads once a month. Let the scumbags fight eachother to the death there.

If ya have to use a golf course for a prison, can't ya use the Waterford Municipal instead of one of my favoriTes in all the feckin world? I love the idea but not the choice of locale! Maybe one of the Arans....skellig something or other and make em catch their own fookin fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I was in a Waterford nightclub for the first time ever on Sat night, banging Techno out the back of Shortts, excellent. Didn't encounter any grief except the inconvenience of walking through the main cheese dance area. A good night out for this old geezer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

I was at the door of the foundry when it happened. (slightly twisted but I remember bits)

Yer man came up and sprayed the bouncer and gave him a smack ( with what looked like a knuckleduster) and just stood there. The bouncer in shock retreated inside to get help. I always seen pepperspray or mace or whatever in films and said "pffft couldnt be that bad" . I only got the aftermath of the spray and my god I was coughing for a good 10 minutes.. Yer man had his face covered with his hood. (Clearly he was only in town to target that bouncer) Serious scum in this town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

-Kenny- wrote: »
    I was at the door of the foundry when it happened. (slightly twisted but I remember bits)

Yer man came up and sprayed the bouncer and gave him a smack ( with what looked like a knuckleduster) and just stood there. The bouncer in shock retreated inside to get help. I always seen peperspray or mace or whatever in films and said "pffft couldnt be that bad" . I only got the aftermath of the spray and my god I was coughing for a good 10 minutes.. Yer man had his face covered with his hood. (Clearly he was only in town to target that bouncer) Serious scum in this town
    As bad as some bouncers can be, there's no need for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

While the odd bouncer may go on a bit of a power trip, most of them are just doing a job, a needed one at that. I know one or two lads who do it and it's not a nice job at all!

Some scumbag sh1te coming in to town just to cause trouble like this should be locked up.

There's absolutely no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

old gregg wrote: »
    I was in a Waterford nightclub for the first time ever on Sat night, banging Techno out the back of Shortts, excellent. Didn't encounter any grief except the inconvenience of walking through the main cheese dance area. A good night out for this old geezer :)

Was at that gig, techno isn't my first choice but really enjoyed it, I'm finding myself ending up out there most Saturdays.

I hope the foundry bouncer is ok, it takes a right coward to blind someone and then use a weapon.
    Was the scumbag caught ?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Nypd wrote: »
    I hope the foundry bouncer is ok, it takes a right coward to blind someone and then use a weapon.
    Was the scumbag caught ?

No Idea, Went up and gave a garda an account of what I saw. He said they had a patrol out looking for him. last I heard of it.

• Advertisement

Nypd wrote: »
    Was at that gig, techno isn't my first choice but really enjoyed it, I'm finding myself ending up out there most Saturdays.

Was the scumbag caught ?

never there before but the crowd out back were chilled. If it generally tended that way I'd drop in for the next techo session for sure.
    Agree completly with the coward comment about the scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

anyone happen to be in the flounge saturday night and see me fall on some blondy lass and can identify her givus a shout, ta. :)

(I broke a finger, just want to see if she's ok..heh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Flounge sounds like one hell of a place tbh.

yeah I fell head over heels for her, somebody put a pool table in the middle of the floor. But I saw the look in her eye before I dragged her to the ground with me, it was love mingled with fear or maybe it was the double captain and coke deal but it was good. and seriously, I hope she's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

29 young people seek hospital treatment after drink promotion

The low-price drink promotion has been deplored by the Mayor of Letterkenny, Cllr Gerry McMonagle.

Figures released by the Health Service Executive show that 29 people were brought to Letterkenny General Hospital suffering from the effects of alcohol on Wednesday night last.

Many of those admitted to hospital revealed how they had consumed shots of alcohol which were on offer for just 99 cent each.

Mr McMonagle said he was both alarmed and concerned at the effect low-price alcohol is having on young people.

“I feel these promotions will only increase our binge-drinking culture,”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

As in Letterkenny, Donegal?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This has something to do with Waterford how?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

The foundry are offering €2 drinks, How does this NOT relate to Waterford....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Because it's Letterkenny and €2 drinks has already been discussed multiple times in the Nightlife Megathread?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's low priced drinks in numerous clubs in the UK, should we also discuss them here? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

hey guys, Go out tonight around 11pm down to Johns st and then tell me the cheap drink is not affecting Waterford, or better yet, hit the town anytime tomorrow before 12noon and see the mess that's done, a hell of alot more than on the weekends.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Merged with megathread. :)

My opinion on these cheap drinks in our Irish drinking culture is that someone ( in Waterford eventually I'm sure) is going to actually kill themselves with too many shots or something. Having said that, does that mean it should stop? What ever happened to people taking resonsibility for their own actions. if all of us can go out and drink the same amount of drink as we usually do but for much cheaper I don't know do I agree because the minority can't handle it we all should suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Thought things were bad at home with scum in bars, I'm in Oz, last weekend was out, was in smoking area of bar, band playing inside, beside band saw a guy pick up a girl and slam her on floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    hey guys, Go out tonight around 11pm down to Johns st and then tell me the cheap drink is not affecting Waterford, or better yet, hit the town anytime tomorrow before 12noon and see the mess that's done, a hell of alot more than on the weekends.
    That's because they're students, not because of cheap drinks. Your point goes completely out the window because (a) even with cheap drink, students drink fúck-all once they're out unless they rob it or brought it with them and (b) drink prices are just as cheap on the weekends.

nothing scientific in this opinion but I wonder sometimes whether it's the cheap spirits that can contribute to problems. A person wolf's down a bunch of pints and likely they'll make an idiot of themselves or just fall down and spew. A few cheap shorts when dropped into an inexperienced drinker can bring on the crazies. I'd know folks who can drink pints till they drop but give them a few vodkas and they'll blackout and become awkward. Just a thought and mayhap doesn't stand up.

I dunno lads, I remember just a over a year ago when the place was little more than a ghost town with half the amount of places to go and all seeking top dollar at the bar too. I don't usually go out on a Saturday in an attempt to avoid the masses of youngsters but fortunately I didn't bump into them as there are now alternative venues for us older folk to go, most of which is down to the fact that the drinks promotion draws the younger crowd away from them.

The pubs and clubs are probably doing better business now than they have in a long time and while I agree that it might be easier to get watered quicker, I do think it comes down to personal responsibility. And if I'm paying full price for my drink I don't expect the place to be littered with people 10 or 15 years younger than me either, so it works for me.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Thought things were bad at home with scum in bars, I'm in Oz, last weekend was out, was in smoking area of bar, band playing inside, beside band saw a guy pick up a girl and slam her on floor.
    I just remembered being lifted up and flown through the air like an aeroplane by some very large man, it's fun you should try it. weeeee

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

old gregg wrote: »
    nothing scientific in this opinion but I wonder sometimes whether it's the cheap spirits that can contribute to problems. A person wolf's down a bunch of pints and likely they'll make an idiot of themselves or just fall down and spew. A few cheap shorts when dropped into an inexperienced drinker can bring on the crazies. I'd know folks who can drink pints till they drop but give them a few vodkas and they'll blackout and become awkward. Just a thought and mayhap doesn't stand up.

A lot of it is down to the closing times of the clubs/pubs....people are going out for the simple reason, to get wasted, and they want to do it in 4 hours.

It shouldn't be like that....€2 drinks or not...the fact that the drinks are €2 people should pace themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

i think the cheap drink thing will level off after a couple of months.... if we get over them few months I think folk will be a bit meh about the cheap drink and not abuse it as much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Kanoe wrote: »
    I dunno lads, I remember just a over a year ago when the place was little more than a ghost town with half the amount of places to go and all seeking top dollar at the bar too. I don't usually go out on a Saturday in an attempt to avoid the masses of youngsters but fortunately I didn't bump into them as there are now alternative venues for us older folk to go, most of which is down to the fact that the drinks promotion draws the younger crowd away from them.

The pubs and clubs are probably doing better business now than they have in a long time and while I agree that it might be easier to get watered quicker, I do think it comes down to personal responsibility. And if I'm paying full price for my drink I don't expect the place to be littered with people 10 or 15 years younger than me either, so it works for me.

In fairness as long as they are over 18 they got just a much a right to be in that pub than you.

Advertisement