Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

• 28-03-2010 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ok, I know what you're all thinking...me again, and another thread about nightlife. And I'm sure there's been a few of these..:rolleyes:

But, I spent ages looking for a thread about the nightlife and as far back as february i still couldn't find one...seriously! And you all love me...admit it.

Anyway...we can all agree...the city is in some trouble...but I'd like your opinions on something:

n112833345397766_4283.jpg

Some good bands up there..some local and some not...however, none of them are particuarly well known. ticket prices €15 before hand...€20 on the day. I've wanted to put an event on in Wyse Park for a long time, but I wanted to put on a big act.

The question I'm asking is...would you pay 20 quid for the above? This is something that Spraoi have been doing for years for free...would you now pay money to see some very good bands, but unfortunately fairly unheard of bands with some unheard of songs. I think events like this are great, as you know I'm a big supporter of bands in waterford but the way things are going in waterford at the moment is it a bit optimistic to expect people to pay this kind of money for this? I'd expect people to get bored pretty quickly when they didn't know any of the songs...

I do hope to see people on this thread supporting this event...and I'd love them to support it in reality too... It just wouldn't be something that I'd run...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Ok, I know what you're all thinking...me again, and another thread about nightlife. And I'm sure there's been a few of these..:rolleyes:

But, I spent ages looking for a thread about the nightlife and as far back as february i still couldn't find one...seriously! And you all love me...admit it.

Anyway...we can all agree...the city is in some trouble...but I'd like your opinions on something:

Some good bands up there..some local and some not...however, none of them are particuarly well known. ticket prices €15 before hand...€20 on the day. I've wanted to put an event on in Wyse Park for a long time, but I wanted to put on a big act.

The question I'm asking is...would you pay 20 quid for the above? This is something that Spraoi have been doing for years for free...would you now pay money to see some very good bands, but unfortunately fairly unheard of bands with some unheard of songs. I think events like this are great, as you know I'm a big supporter of bands in waterford but the way things are going in waterford at the moment is it a bit optimistic to expect people to pay this kind of money for this? I'd expect people to get bored pretty quickly when they didn't know any of the songs...

I do hope to see people on this thread supporting this event...and I'd love them to support it in reality too... It just wouldn't be something that I'd run...
    firstly is there goin to be alcohol sold at this event???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Ive heard of The Pale, The rest I wouldnt have a clue about, I think these bands would appeal to a very select crowd, and I wouldnt pay that kind of money for bands ive never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

firstly is there goin to be alcohol sold at this event???

Presumably...or maybe they'll give plastic glasses and you can buy the drinks in revolution

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Over priced at 20 quid. Best band on there is the Fighting Spiders I think.

Hopw it goes well for the organisers though.

Also thats the weekend of Waterford's first game in the hurling championship which will affect numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

any local charitys benefitting from it
    oh i see the city council badge on the poster 'they'll do....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Kytte are a good band as well, kinda Queens of the Stone Age-ish. €20 is a bit much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I know none of the bads, but like live music.

For me I would be gambling €20 that I would like it. Why take the risk when I can have guaranteed fun by losing €20 in Kilcohan?

Also, yes Spraoi do it for free. For €20 I would expect a "national" band to headline it, like Bell X1, and even then I would think €15 a more fair price.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It wouldn't interest me at all tbh,

You get free band in anypub down town.

Daysha is right you would expect an aslan or bell x1 from that price. You only have to look at the fourm and see what only a little more money can get you.

Still though I wish them the best of luck, weather will play a major part IMO get a nice day and your laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

As you said the city is in trouble and fair play for making an effort i say,and yes i would support it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yea as a few have posted before, I think it needs a bigger headliner before folks would part with the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Pauline Black and the Selecter are a Ska band from the UK and I have seen them twice in Waterford before.They are very good band and were very big in the 80's.Well worth a look.

It looks to be a good value line up if you'rea music fan...it probably cost them 10-15k to run.... But, knowing Waterford people like I do...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah cool we can all look at little ashley with the big arms being cooler than any of us can ever hope to be!

Seriously though I'll head down to this I'd say, somthing a bit different and migt be good

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

It looks to be a good value line up if you'rea music fan...it probably cost them 10-15k to run.... But, knowing Waterford people like I do...

Haha, so you say on one hand that its value if you are a music fan, but on the other hand decide to take a swipe at regular Waterford people. Fact is, if you want the get the crowds its going to need to percieved as value by a large number of people and not just hit a niche market.

I'm sure plenty of 'music fans' might not be too enthused about the line up as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hardlife

rang the number on the poster ,you can buy tickets from revolution for €15 leading up to the gig .
    Suppose its to sell tickets b4 the day.

I agree with ya. As a business proposition I don't think it will work because there isn't any "marquee" acts on that line up. Money has gotten tighter in Waterford so value has become more important than ever.

The dig at Waterford people comes from their ability to queue down the road for jedward tickets, sell out a Calvin Harris gig where the Best act of the night is actually the local lad and not support a lot of the things that local businesses try to do to get their business.

The weather is also an issue for this one. Safer bet to buy tickets close to the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eventfac

I agree with ya. As a business proposition I don't think it will work because there isn't any "marquee" acts on that line up. Money has gotten tighter in Waterford so value has become more important than ever.

The dig at Waterford people comes from their ability to queue down the road for jedward tickets, sell out a Calvin Harris gig where the Best act of the night is actually the local lad and not support a lot of the things that local businesses try to do to get their business.

Let me address your marquee comment first off .
    Wyse park is certainly no 02 arena or marley park ,it is a small urban green space that will hold in or around 1500 people ,so when configuring the line up this was brought into account .
    Pauline Black of the Selecter and the Pale are two fantastic headline bands ,and perfectly suitable for a small venue ,both have a great history spanning back several decades .
    I would like a proper definition of what you consider "Marquee"

Spellbound another great festival feel band ,the kings of rock a billy ,I have seen these play to a live out door audience and the atmosphere was electric to say the very least.
    Ben Reel is anther great Irish artist ,if you haven't heard of him check him out you will be suitably impressed .
    Fighting spiders, Kytte and Dirty 10-1 ,some great local talent in those three right there .
    You cant have a small gig like this and not show case some of the cities finest talent ,it just wouldnt be right,dont you agree ?
    The whole ethos of Party in the Park is to supply good quality entertainment and the best value possible .
    €15 for 8 hours of music to me is not a bad price (considering the average nightclub is €10).
    Yes I agree things are tight and yes we are working on a limited budget to hold this event ,the city council have been very good to us and have indeed helped us out in getting the show on the road ,that in itself is very positive .

We have had good feed back from the PR we have started to put together ,a group running on facebook has over 700 members

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

hi eventfac,

what's the story with drink? can we bring our own? 15/20 entrance fee, and then having to spend 8 hours on pub prices would be a deal-breaker for me (and most people i know) i'm afraid.

Shall we have a poll to see how many people have heard of these bands? Listen, I'm all for things like this...all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be for me. The City Council will support anything like this at the moment cause they see that the city is dying and are willing to support everything right now...another reason why the spraoi was split in two...to create another weekend of excitement in the town.

• Advertisement

The question I'm asking is...would you pay 20 quid for the above? This is something that Spraoi have been doing for years for free...

If you run events surely you know that sproai can put on free events because they receive funding to do so

KingLoser wrote: »
    hi eventfac,

what's the story with drink? can we bring our own? 15/20 entrance fee, and then having to spend 8 hours on pub prices would be a deal-breaker for me (and most people i know) i'm afraid.

Ill keep you posted on that one ,there will be full bar facilities on site .
    Two different companies are being spoken to atm ,again we will be pushing to gain the best value possible on prices.
    We are very aware of the current climate and understand peoples situation ,money is a head ache for every one atm ,our budget made my head hurt :P

dayshah wrote: »
    The weather is also an issue for this one. Safer bet to buy tickets close to the date.

The great Irish summer gotta love it :cool:

Hardlife wrote: »
    If you run events surely you know that sproai can put on free events because they receive funding to do so

That's not the point. The point is, the people of waterford are used to seeing bands that are good, but that they don't know, for free.

eventfac wrote: »
    Ill keep you posted on that one ,there will be full bar facilities on site .
    Two different companies are being spoken to atm ,again we will be pushing to gain the best value possible on prices.
    We are very aware of the current climate and understand peoples situation ,money is a head ache for every one atm ,our budget made my head hurt :P

Be honest mate, there's no way in the world that people will be allowed bring their own drink in. Honesty is the best policy on this forum.

That's not the point. The point is, the people of waterford are used to seeing bands that are good, but that they don't know, for free.

Iv heard of all these bands bar dirty ten to one ,quick goggle sorted that out ,not my cup of tea but hey horses for courses eh .
    seen the pale a few times really looking forward to seeing them outdoors ,hope it dosnt rain hehe

Dirty ten to one are actually my favourite band from the list. It seriously is a decent line up...I'm not disputing that and i hope people don't think that I'm contradicting myself here.

My point was, from a business point of view, I don't think it will recoup the money invested in it because, from my experience, waterford people won't pay into a event unless there is a big act on show.

I will go on record as saying that I think it would be great if it was a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I don't think Waterford people are any different when it comes to forking out hard-earned cash to watch bands. The majority of people in any part of any country will pay for bands they know, even if they're generally seen as rubbish by others!

As a few people have said, you can get music in most pubs most nights and have €20 worth of pints, without having to stand in the not-very-exotic Wyse Park hoping the weather is good...without a drink.

However I do admire your efforts to stir some life into the city but it's going to be hard to make it work given the other choices available.

I suppose €15 for 8 hours is alright, but what times would it be on at (prob finish at 11?).

Also, would it be possible to go in at 3, head off at 6 for dinner, come back 7, go at 8 to meet someone, come back again etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

You would have way more people go to this if you could bring your on booze,

Put it like this, IMO the average person will prob go maybe spend 3 hours maybe 4 or 5 if you get the weather, say €20 in and the average guy will buy one drink every 20min @ €5 a drink and all of a sudden your running into a fairly expensive night.

Advertisement