Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

daithip wrote: »
    Remember just because there is a light on the roof of the car I'm driving does not mean it's a taxi and I have to leave you home, there is no obligation on me to do that:mad:. Should've thought of that before spending all your money on vodka and red bull and yes my taxes paid for that car as well;)

We will give you a bed for the night, but its not yours, and the room service is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Moreso a question but i have always wondered, is it true that if you get hit by an ambulance on call (ie with someone in back) that the ambulance cannot stop for you. The crew have to radio in another one for you?

Heard it a few times over the years was never sure

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Answer to a question asked mainly when on traffic duties - "No - i don't have anything better to be doing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

livvy wrote: »
    Answer to a question asked mainly when on traffic duties - "No - i don't have anything better to be doing"

Or a similar one:

No, I don't have a clue who you are, but I will soon, because I need your details to complete this ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Or a similar one:

No, I don't have a clue who you are, but I will soon, because I need your details to complete this ticket...

Or, why aren't you out there catching the real criminals?

Don't ring up the local station and say someone has thrown a parking/building cone into the road, please don't just drive by it, get out and move it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

daithip wrote: »
    Or, why aren't you out there catching the real criminals?
    "Well, if I didn't have to stop people for not wearing seatbelts designed for their own safety, I would spend a lot more time going after real criminals."

Back on topic, kind of . . .

Something else everyone else seems to think should be common knowledge is where I come from and where I live. Why are people obsessed with this?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Not ES, but a few points to note:

1) When being interviewed by the gardai, you are not entitled to have a solicitor present (like in the movies). All that is required is that you get reasonable access.

2) You can be detained in a garda station for a longer period of time if you are caught with fireworks than if you murder someone.

3) You are not entitled to elect to give a blood or urine sample instead of a breath sample if you are arrested for drink driving. You can only ask.

4) If you are convicted in the district court you have an automatic right to bail if you appeal to the circuit court, no matter what the offence or punishment.

5) If you don't show up for court after being given bail, that in itself is a criminal offence.

6) You are not automatically entitled to remission of a prison sentence, it's only given for good behaviour.

7) Mandatory sentences lead to more acquittals.

8) Victims of violent and sexual crimes are entitled to address the court when the offender is being sentenced, and this often results in a longer sentence.

9) Road traffic offences ARE criminal offences.

10) The average life sentence is usually around 12-14 years, with 9 being the bottom end and the rest of your natural life at the top end.

11) If you kill an off duty garda it's capital murder.

12) On duty emergency services drivers are exempt from all road traffic law except drink driving, dangerous driving and related offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

deadwood wrote: »
    Something else everyone else seems to think should be common knowledge is where I come from and where I live. Why are people obsessed with this?

You've mentioned a gin palace.. Hell that's got me curious!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Irish people are obsessed with knowing your background & antecedents so that they can place you in their scheme of things -

"Do you remember Biddy Mc Mc who married Johnny Two-Eyes from Ballybackwards ? Well he's their son".

Therefore it pisses off folk when you're not local. I suppose it's a country (close communities) thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Another one....

Just because we turn on the blue lights whilst in traffic, does NOT automatically mean we are sick of waiting. We probably got a CALL!

And yes..... the handcuffs could be tighter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

Dont call me sir i'm not a school teacher and dont call me officer I dont work in a prison, Garda is fine though.

Dont piss on a busy street i'll happily do you (or the side of a church as i seen in saturday nite)

Please when coming to a checkpoint have your window down cause if you roll up to me and stop with the window up i see this as being very rude and will check every aspect of your car and yourself

Again drunks and gardai dont mix, drunks dont know when to shut up or that swearing at a garda is going to get you arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

DFB: "Fire and Ambulance Service?"
    Caller: " High Can you send the Fire Nigade, I've a burst pipe?"
    OR
    Caller: " Theres a cat stuck up a tree"

Fire Brigade are not plumbers and The F#*king cat will come doen when it gets hungry!!!

AGS : Garda Emergency how can I help you ?
    Caller : My car is on fire/ my house is on Fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Please when coming to a checkpoint have your window down cause if yor roll up to me with the window up i see this as being very rude and will check every aspect of your car and yourself.
    So you want me to stop safely (change down gears, break, check behind me, apply hand break etc,) and roll down my window at the same time. I'd rather not knock you down thanks very much so I'll stop first, then roll down my window when it is safe to do so. By all means check everything if that's how you want to react but it seems silly to confuse safety with rudeness.
    12) On duty emergency services drivers are exempt from all road traffic law except drink driving, dangerous driving and related offences.
    I've wondered about this one a couple of times during conversations with FS drivers as they are still driving on their own licenses in the trucks. Could you provide a link if you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

So you want me to stop safely (change down gears, break, check behind me, apply hand break etc,) and roll down my window at the same time. I'd rather not knock you down thanks very much so I'll stop first, then roll down my window when it is safe to do so. By all means check everything if that's how you want to react but it seems silly to confuse safety with rudeness.

I think what whitewater is talking about, is the type of people who just pull up and leave the window up, if that happens, i generally go to the window and ask the driver to pull the window down,as it makes me suspicious that they may have a few drinkies on board and may not want to talk to me in case i smell it.
    I've wondered about this one a couple of times during conversations with FS drivers as they are still driving on their own licenses in the trucks. Could you provide a link if you have one?

it's spread over the road traffic legislation. www.irishstatutebook.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Dont call me sir i'm not a school teacher and dont call me officer I dont work in a prison, Garda is fine though.

To be fair, it's better people call you any of the above than something worse!:pac:

Do agree with you though, I don't ever call a Garda a police officer, cop etc. The title is Garda!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If your approaching a checkpoint and a Garda puts his hand up for you to stop, don't stop 10 feet away from him and expect him/her to walk up to you.
    Doing that for 50 different cars can be fairly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

foinse wrote: »
    I think what whitewater is talking about, is the type of people who just pull up and leave the window up, if that happens, i generally go to the window and ask the driver to pull the window down,as it makes me suspicious that they may have a few drinkies on board and may not want to talk to me in case i smell it.

I always though it was better to leave the window up. Cause if I pull up the checkpoint with my window down, I would look like I want to chat about something, then the Garda would be like I wonder what. Then pull me in.

And can't emergency services text while driving?

Good reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If your approaching a checkpoint and a Garda puts his hand up for you to stop, don't stop 10 feet away from him and expect him/her to walk up to you.
    Doing that for 50 different cars can be fairly annoying.

cos you end up 500feet away from where you parked the car? :p

sorry for going OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not ES, but can I just say that if you stand to the offside front of a car, it makes me worried that I'm going to run you down. Either stand right in front of the car, or out of the way altogether. In the former case, I can stop in front of you. In the latter case I can pull up beside you. But if you stand at my front offside bumper, I'm terrified of hitting you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Standing in front of an approaching car is a big no-no. Its the biggest no-no of all time. If a driver wants to a run a checkpoint, believe me its more common than you think, the last place you want to be standing is in front if it!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

TheNog wrote: »
    Standing in front of an approaching car is a big no-no. Its the biggest no-no of all time. If a driver wants to a run a checkpoint, believe me its more common than you think, the last place you want to be standing is in front if it!!!!!!

+1
    Most guards stand at the offside to speak to the driver. Standing in the middle of a lane aint gonna happen.
    If you can stay off the white line in the middle of the road, then you can avoid a person standing on it!!
    Don't worry, I can see you when your driving towards me. If it looks like your going to hit me, I'll move!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

please dont call an ambulance at 6 in the mornin for a pain in the foot that has been there for over a week because you think the A&E mite be quieter at that time

dont think you'll be seen quicker by arriving by ambulance, you'd be quicker inyour GP's office

the same little ****heads that throw stones at us on the fire engines are the same clowns who'll scream at us to hurry and help their mammy when she has had a turn

also, if someone doesnt want to go to the hospital, dont ring an ambulance out in the misbelief that we'll force them to go, we cannot force anyone to go to hospital against their wishes

ScubaDave wrote: »
    And yes..... the handcuffs could be tighter!

You could also say "they are only new cuffs but they will stretch after awhile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gdamedic

another one heard was "My dole pays your wages" ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

s.27 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004 replaces the customary approach to exempting emergency vehicles. It's slightly more nuanced than I expressed it above, so have a read of the section. If it were to come up in reality (and I doubt it often does) it would be more a defence to be raised in court rather than a prohibition on prosecution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

11) If you kill an off duty garda it's capital murder.

Didn't s.3 of the 1990 Criminal Justice Act repeal capital murder, and even when it did exist (and as it stands under s.3 in its modern day form) the garda had to either be on duty, or be acting in the course of their duty?

Please when coming to a checkpoint have your window down cause if yor roll up to me with the window up i see this as being very rude and will check every aspect of your car and yourself

Are you for real? You demand people show you such deference that they must have their window rolled down in advance, and yet also complain if someone rather politely calls you sir? Talk about acting a Billy Big Bollokks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I can see this thread drifting.

How about locking it and maybe some non E.S. members can ask questions they have about some of the common myths the public hold as truth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

How about locking it and maybe some non E.S. members can ask questions they have about some of the common myths the public hold as truth?

Why? :confused: Because I was critical of one of the things posted by a Garda? I was hardly trolling, I was directly referring to one of the things he wished was common knowledge, can't see how its off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Are you for real? You demand people show you such deference that they must have their window rolled down in advance, and yet also complain if someone rather politely calls you sir? Talk about acting a Billy Big Bollokks...

Read over the posts again and you'll see it was pointed out that I was talking about the type of people who when stopped at a checkpoint sit there with the window up until you knock on it.

• Advertisement

Why? :confused: Because I was critical of one of the things posted by a Garda? I was hardly trolling, I was directly referring to one of the things he wished was common knowledge, can't see how its off topic?

Pedro calm down will ye. This is only a lighted hearted informative thread, nothing more. Dont be over analyzing whats posted here

I can see the potential to drift as well but my over optimistic character is telling me to keep it open for now.

Back on topic so please.

We can now take your car off you if the tax is out by 2 months not 3 months.

and

Yes we can drive while using a mobile phone. Its not recommended but we can if we need to

Advertisement