Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quality of life in Wexford

• 19-11-2007 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about reasons for and against living in Wexford? People who have been living there for the past few years wull be able to answer this better I suppose - there is probably some of us who are living away and only travel down the odd weekend and don't really get an overall picture....

Suggested headings could be quality of life; cost of living; entertainment (day and night time); shopping; eating; activities; work opportunities; etc etc

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Nice to have a new thread in here. This town was becomin' like a ghost town! I wanted to put something up myself but every time I look in here there's no one viewing. But yeah I don't think we have it too bad in this corner of the land. I love our coast, the scenery etc. Especially Curracloe, Carrigbyrne, places like that. I used to hate Wexford town, but lately I seem to be noticing a distinctive character to it. A better choice of nightlife would be nice though, a choice of music would be great (does anything good come to Exile anymore?) That's the one real advantage Waterford has over Wex. I lived down there for years any it's a violent, scummy sh1thole, but at least there's variety. But culture in general, we have a pretty good selection. Although you do have to go looking a bit. But on the whole, I like it! Here's hoping that the fabled new cinema will go ahead though. And we-like every other county, I suppose- Need rural transport improved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i like it, much prefer it to anywhere else, i think one of the reasons is its not total scummy and you are in town one minute and then out of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyrotten123

Yeah, I think there is good points like the beaches, scenery, restaraunts and if you take Wexford town, it is expanding and becoming more interesting as time goes on, but it is still terrible for nightlife. The pubs are okay, but you tend to head to the same places over and over again and as for after the pubs, well there is only one option really. The new cinema would be great and a bowling alley, but I still get the impression the town isn't exactly bustling during the week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

I moved to Wexford Town area in June '07 from London.....gotta say whilst it has negative points the plus points make up for it!

in a nutshell and not an exhaustive list:

Pros -
    lots of redevelopment work in centre of town (good sign that trade is being promoted - e.g. new cinema, bowling, new opera house, cranes in town redeveloping buildings, new quayside development...etc)

Beaches, beaches, places of interest, great walking areas, beaches, beaches. - Some really great family friendly beaches - Curracloe being my favourite

reasonable volume of entertainment....worth checking out the art centre for bands, shows...etc as well as the various other events held sporadically elsewhere. (the arts centre is proposing a large expansion which is a good thing too!)...of course there is the opera house once finished that will hold events throughout the year

Decent enough pubs (as with most towns there are some good and some bad)
    Decent enough restaurants....I could name at least 4 that I would recommend to others....

Waterford and Dublin airports within 90 minutes or so, as well as Rosslare harbour down the road

Cons:

seems to be a fair amount of 'youth' problems at the moment (vandalism, anti-social behaviour in the main)- there is a lot of pressure on the local council to tackle this (having said that as I have come from London to me the 'problem' isnt all that bad....but could definately be addressed)

Public transport - rubbish!.....once again however it is slowly being addressed - improved train services to and from dublin/waterford are being implemented and providing they are used will only get better. The bus service if you live out of town is generally poor where available but the service to dublin is excellent

As with most areas there are some scummy residential area in town - definately investigate if you are considering moving the area

could go on forever with the various good and bad points but hopefully i have made a fair comment - if you want any further info just ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyrotten123

snellers wrote: »
    I moved to Wexford Town area in June '07 from London.....gotta say whilst it has negative points the plus points make up for it!

in a nutshell and not an exhaustive list:

Pros -
    lots of redevelopment work in centre of town (good sign that trade is being promoted - e.g. new cinema, bowling, new opera house, cranes in town redeveloping buildings, new quayside development...etc)

Beaches, beaches, places of interest, great walking areas, beaches, beaches. - Some really great family friendly beaches - Curracloe being my favourite

reasonable volume of entertainment....worth checking out the art centre for bands, shows...etc as well as the various other events held sporadically elsewhere. (the arts centre is proposing a large expansion which is a good thing too!)...of course there is the opera house once finished that will hold events throughout the year

Decent enough pubs (as with most towns there are some good and some bad)
    Decent enough restaurants....I could name at least 4 that I would recommend to others....

Waterford and Dublin airports within 90 minutes or so, as well as Rosslare harbour down the road

Cons:

seems to be a fair amount of 'youth' problems at the moment (vandalism, anti-social behaviour in the main)- there is a lot of pressure on the local council to tackle this (having said that as I have come from London to me the 'problem' isnt all that bad....but could definately be addressed)

Public transport - rubbish!.....once again however it is slowly being addressed - improved train services to and from dublin/waterford are being implemented and providing they are used will only get better. The bus service if you live out of town is generally poor where available but the service to dublin is excellent

As with most areas there are some scummy residential area in town - definately investigate if you are considering moving the area

could go on forever with the various good and bad points but hopefully i have made a fair comment - if you want any further info just ask!

Thanks snellers - I agree with you on all of that to be honest. Moving from London to a small town must have come as quite a shock though no? Did you feel you were 'missing out' a little bit?

• Advertisement

missing out?? well to be honest even though everything was on my doorstep in London it almost became a chore doing anything (due to overcrowded roads/transport..etc) - having Dublin down the road I now enjoy 'doing' these things and it feels like a special time out. I also love the fact there are so many cheap flights available to visit UK
    whenever I feel like it. TBH as long as I can afford to live and enjoy life I am a very happy person!

After speaking with a lot of people here I can understand the need to go and explore other places 'the bright lights of the city' - however I have been there, done that and have the DVD!
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I'm with you snellers. I've lived in 3 different cities now, and I think the life in Wexford is much better.

As has been said before, Wexford has beaches, nice walks, good amenities (shops, pubs, etc) and I find the people very friendly. Its also commutable to Dublin and only a short hop to Wales and London (via Waterford airport). Rent is also cheaper, you can walk everywhere in town, and seemingly the weather is better there then anywhere else in Ireland.

I can't wait to move there... I already spend most of my time there!

Dinkie I hope it all works out well for you!! welcome to Wexford (from one blow-in to another!) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

I have never lived in Wexford town for a long period of time but Enniscorthy is a complete kip, and I say that as a native. I like Wexford town better but I've only ever been there either for the day/night or I've stayed over for a couple of days maximum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lil minx

im from wex lived here all me life and i loves it everyones friendly well apart from satnites outside discos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Sean7 wrote: »
    ..... but Enniscorthy is a complete kip, .

Ah, great to see some constructive criticism of the town backed up by examples, evidence and such insightful comments to further prove the point.

I'm definitley convinced now that it must be a kip....

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

King Kelly wrote: »
    Ah, great to see some constructive criticism of the town backed up by examples, evidence and such insightful comments to further prove the point.
    I'm definitley convinced now that it must be a kip....

to be fair it is a kip.

Being a blow in myself I shouldnt really comment ....but....

been to Enniscorthy once....it was shut

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lil minx

Murtinho wrote: »
    to be fair it is a kip.
    you musnt be goin to the rite places then so. You can get your drink spiked for free and a gud beatin too wat more cud ya ask for. seriously tho its a grand place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I like it.
    Then again, its kind of the people that make a place for me.
    Its got plenty of youth facilities, including an FDYS centre, Youth Theatre ran by a great director, numerous music projects including youth rock gigs at weekends and lots of other programmes.
    Food-wise, places are cheap enough and good value, and the Premier has the nicest chips in the county.
    Transport can be improved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

Hi. Anyone have any opinions on what Wexford town is like around the area of The Faythe, Fisher's row, Swan view etc? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ronan0 wrote: »
    Hi. Anyone have any opinions on what Wexford town is like around the area of The Faythe, Fisher's row, Swan view etc? Thanks.

Quite a settled area of town I believe, older area but would be quiet enough. Nice boozer there called The Wicked Swan !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

ronan0 wrote:

The Faythe is a nice area, although we get the odd issue with messers in the place. Personally I'd avoid Rockview Court, it's beside Wexford's drinking area. On a side note, the new Garda station will be built in your back garden...

Advertisement