Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a keg cost a bar?

• 26-01-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at entering an agreement with a local bar but I'm just wondering how much does a keg cost for a bar to buy in? I can see on sites such as partykeg.ie that a 50L keg of Heiniken will cost E220-E240 but I'm just wondering how much a bar would have to pay to get the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

gufc21 wrote: »
    I'm looking at entering an agreement with a local bar but I'm just wondering how much does a keg cost for a bar to buy in? I can see on sites such as partykeg.ie that a 50L keg of Heiniken will cost E220-E240 but I'm just wondering how much a bar would have to pay to get the same?

I think the cost of equipment rental and delivery is included in that price , i could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

gufc21 wrote: »
    I'm looking at entering an agreement with a local bar but I'm just wondering how much does a keg cost for a bar to buy in?

Why don't you ask the bar? The exact terms and conditions can vary a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Guffy

n97 mini wrote: »
    Why don't you ask the bar? The exact terms and conditions can vary a bit.

Because i wanted to have an idea before i talked to the bar so i would have a definitive outline going in rather than have to ask when I'm there and figure it out on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

For a keg of Heineken €165 (ex VAT) probably wouldn't be far off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Guffy

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and if adding gas + dispenser + delivery + setup + collection + cleaning of unit before and after, €220 to €240 sounds reasonable enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Christ almighty thats a shocking price. I know you can't compare prices with the US due to taxes etc but back in 2004 I used to buy a full size keg for $60.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Christ almighty thats a shocking price. I know you can't compare prices with the US due to taxes etc but back in 2004 I used to buy a full size keg for $60.

That was also 11 years ago. I doubt you'd get that keg for 60 dollars now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

That was also 11 years ago. I doubt you'd get that keg for 60 dollars now

I just enquired from some friends in Denver. It's $120 now but they can get it for under $100 sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dennisc3508

Hi can anyone advise me on where is the cheapest option on where to buy kegs of beer , guinness and anything else. as I'm thinking of opening a pub in North cork thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 heavydemon

Hi can anyone advise me on where is the cheapest option on where to buy kegs of beer , guinness and anything else. as I'm thinking of opening a pub in North cork thanks

The cheapest price for guinness etc would be from diageo directly. I opened a bar a few years ago and couldn't get an account with them as a previous owner ran up a large bill. We ended up going to a reseller which there would be plenty of around the place. From memory we paid about 190 euros for a keg of which was about 15% dearer than diageos price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

heavydemon wrote: »
    The cheapest price for guinness etc would be from diageo directly.
    Did you look into getting it from teh UK, or if there are any wholesalers here who reimport kegs?

this is from a good while ago and I always wondered if there were keg wholesalers. I know my local eurospar had scottish market heineken cheaper than the irish stuff, presumably from a non-approved distributor.
    Diageo has agreed to slash the price of Guinness to the company which runs the bars in Dublin’s new Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road, after the company threatened to import supplies from Britain.

Irish publicans pay €131.66 for a 50-litre keg of Guinness. The ex-duty price of the same keg to the on-trade in Britain is half that, at £54.15 (€66). Even after payment of Irish duty, the cost of importing Guinness to Ireland would be only €99.33 per keg, a saving of 33 per cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Blut2

€131.66 for 50L is shockingly high for a 'wholesale' price to pubs. Anyone can get 100 cans (50L) on special offer in Tesco/O'Briens for €100. Diageo must be making a fortune from the kegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I am paying for 30L of peroni beer 150 or so inducing VAT. While by mistake there a few weeks ago we got 2x 50L sent to us they where something crazy like 560 euros for them from the wholesaler of peroni in ireland. Peroni costs a good bit more then your regular beer.

But that includes the gas, cleaning of the lines and the cooling thing witch gets replaced every year with a new one.

Have a pricelist somewhere for some of the craft 30L kegs. I think it was 109 + Vat for metal man, Brokyan Larger is something like 130 + Vat. But thats the list price there will be some movement on them depending on how much your going to buy off them.

Brew Dog is something like 110 to 140 + VAT per 30L keg

But don't forgot that you have to give a depast for every Keg you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Blut2 wrote: »
    €131.66 for 50L is shockingly high for a 'wholesale' price to pubs. Anyone can get 100 cans (50L) on special offer in Tesco/O'Briens for €100. Diageo must be making a fortune from the kegs.

Indeed.

Too often high taxes are blamed for high beer prices in pubs in Irl.

Not enough attention is paid to the high prices and massive profits made by the large, dominant brewers.

I am paying for 30L of peroni beer 150 or so inducing VAT. While by mistake there a few weeks ago we got 2x 50L sent to us they where something crazy like 560 euros for them from the wholesaler of peroni in ireland. Peroni costs a good bit more then your regular beer.

5.00 euro per litre wholesale, means 2.30 per pint ex-VAT.

That is very high.

Beer should be max 1.50 per pint ex-VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dennisc3508

Thanks for response on where to buy supplies for a pub diageos where are they based would deliver to North cork do they have kegs of Guinness and Heineken are they my best option to buy what I need at its cheapest would appreciate any help .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Thanks for response on where to buy supplies for a pub diageos where are they based would deliver to North cork do they have kegs of Guinness and Heineken are they my best option to buy what I need at its cheapest would appreciate any help .

Diageo for Guinness.
    Heineken for Heineken.
    Both can supply glassware for those products.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you seem to be unaware of who Diageo are?

As somebody planning on opening a pub, I find that odd / worrying.

www.diageo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just looked over the docs for perrni there we pay 152 euros includeing Vat for 30L. You can probably get it cheaper for them but we only buy one beer from them and 2 kegs a week. So we wouldn't be there biggest person to be buying from.

But we do get all glasses for free and other stuff when ever we ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Pub in Portarlington does 50l kegs to the general public for 200 inc vat. Cheapest I've seen for a home bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Geuze wrote: »
    Indeed.

Too often high taxes are blamed for high beer prices in pubs in Irl.

Not enough attention is paid to the high prices and massive profits made by the large, dominant brewers.

Actual cost of 50L of guinness to make is around €8.50 (no that's not a typo)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

The raw ingredients cost that amount, which is only a part of the actual cost. Brewing, storage, delivery, quality team, advertising, accounts and loads more have to be paid for too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And duty. Which isn't as much as you might think but still significant enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

thats about right.
    I heard a similar figure mentioned for production of beer in germany too.
    Thats not inputs, thats the cost of producing the thing.

Which just makes it laughable whenever Diagio are talking about job cuts and whatnot in order to make the brewing in Ireland more "sustainable".
    Its just greed/ improving return for the shareholders/ justifiying a payrise or bonus for the genious who is suggesting the various cuts and closures.

If a beer costing 9c per pint to produce is "costing" €1 or more when other brewery costs are added, then maybe the admin and other stuff should be trimmed rather than eternally attacking the brew staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Blut2

thats about right.
    I heard a similar figure mentioned for production of beer in germany too.
    Thats not inputs, thats the cost of producing the thing.

Which just makes it laughable whenever Diagio are talking about job cuts and whatnot in order to make the brewing in Ireland more "sustainable".
    Its just greed/ improving return for the shareholders/ justifiying a payrise or bonus for the genious who is suggesting the various cuts and closures.

If a beer costing 9c per pint to produce is "costing" €1 or more when other brewery costs are added, then maybe the admin and other stuff should be trimmed rather than eternally attacking the brew staff.

You'd also wonder how some of the tiny craft beers can sell for similar prices to the macros which are apparently scraping by, yet still make a profit. With their beneficial massive economies of scale the macros should be priced considerably lower than small-batch craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Blut2 wrote: »
    You'd also wonder how some of the tiny craft beers can sell for similar prices to the macros which are apparently scraping by, yet still make a profit. With their beneficial massive economies of scale the macros should be priced considerably lower than small-batch craft beers.

Yes they should.

Let's be conservative here and say the cost to a Macro to produce 500ml of beer is 40c all in including ingredients, production costs, packaging and delivery.

If they sell to the multiples @ 70c per can they are making just 30c GP / unit while selling to publicans @ €1.40 they make €1 profit per unit.

However the punter only has so much money to spend and it's actually in the brewers favour for people to drink at home.

Say I have €40 to spend on beer so I can go to the pub and have 8 pints @ €5 a pop or buy 40 cans @ €1 a pop.

Using the figures above which are pretty rough in fairness but not wildly off the marque the brewer makes €8 on the pub drinkers €40 while they make €12 on the home drinkers €40.

Macros can easily afford to sell to publicans for less but it suits they make more money from people drinking at home.

Advertisement