Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Thats where the entrance scholarships, music or sports ones come into play they reward you on 'preformance' in the leaving cert or a certain field.....

Entrance scholarships are in very few colleges though, and if they are, they are a lot less then the all-ireland ones/ JP Mcmanus ones.
    I do believe you can get into college on lower points if you get a grant too :/ that's just plain wrong in my view, I accept it for DARE but not if you are only struggling financially :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I know plenty of people whose parents work and still get grants... but what's the difference in earning 62,000 and 60,000 ? very little in fairness. I also know of people who get accountants to fix things up so they can get grants.. and it happens all the time :/ But thats not my point. I just think scholarships shouldn't take in someones financial position!! they are scholarships, not grants!!
    I've just got bones to pick with a system which says you'll only get rewarded for doing well academically but only if you're eligible for a grant :P

Most of the fellas who run the big scholarships like the J.P McManus are just rich fúckers who want to feel good about themselves. :P At the same time though, if they just throw money at everyone obvs that money's going to get wasted. They wanna know they're making a good investment (i.e someone academically gifted) and they're not obliged to give out any scholarships at all, in reality. I think it's quite nice of them :P You're right about the student grants though.
    David1994 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice and yep I have a few plans made out...Nothing too fancy but maybe they will be help tongue.gif
    What you looking for? Hopefully I will have it :)

No bother man :D Anything really, mainly stuff on Role of Women in characters and the themes of Appearance and Reality/Death :) I got poetry essays for Plath, Kinsella, Heaney, and Larkin, they're mostly just quotes and explanations but they're spot-on foundations to build a good personal response on. Throw me a pm with the Hamlet stuff and I'll get ya back with the poetry stuff sometime tmara if ya want it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Oh God, I think I'll just learn off a short story and fit it in :( If I want a B1 in English there's no way I'll get it by making up a story on the spot like, I'm just not able to think up a whole story on the spot ffs :( Ugh and only like a week left.. the frustration! And if it doesn't fit in then I don't know what I'll do arghhhh..

Is anyone else here trying to fit in a short story? I have this sample story but I'm afraid there'll be a load of people using it too:/

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Entrance scholarships are in very few colleges though, and if they are, they are a lot less then the all-ireland ones/ JP Mcmanus ones.
    I do believe you can get into college on lower points if you get a grant too :/ that's just plain wrong in my view, I accept it for DARE but not if you are only struggling financially :/

No people on grants dont get in on lower points, there would be no way to run this as many grants are even awarded until Easter in college :eek:

You are thinking about the HEAR scheme for people from disadvantaged backgrounds can get up to 40 points off :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Wesc. wrote: »
    Oh God, I think I'll just learn off a short story and fit it in :( If I want a B1 in English there's no way I'll get it by making up a story on the spot like, I'm just not able to think up a whole story on the spot ffs :( Ugh and only like a week left.. the frustration! And if it doesn't fit in then I don't know what I'll do arghhhh..

Is anyone else here trying to fit in a short story? I have this sample story but I'm afraid there'll be a load of people using it too:/

What's the story about in general, surely no one short story could be the same? Yeah I have one in mind, if it doesn't fit though I'm sticking to the good old speech, never fails for a B. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

No people on grants dont get in on lower points, there would be no way to run this as many grants are even awarded until Easter in college :eek:

You are thinking about the HEAR scheme for people from disadvantaged backgrounds can get up to 40 points off :eek: :(

ooops my bad :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Ah, ce sentiment lorsqu'on ecrit un beau piéce en Francais, je l'adore. :D Also I've got hardly nothing done today, I think I need to throw my laptop out the window. :cool:
    The NUIG grant is almost 2000 euro, such an incentive to study like. If I get it I'd actually be so happy! Saying that I'd probably spend it in a few months :L

Yeah it'd be great, that + the grant + the Naughton scholarship would be amazing, I could live like a king. :P Does anyone know if in the French e-mail questions you have to put in a fake email for the person you're writing to? :L
    You get zero marks for email lay outs s no you dont!

I never try and fit in short stories, but I'm lucky seeing as I love writing. :) Writing a story is nowhere near as hard as some people say though, I think the reason people find writing a short story hard is because they write it as they go along. Best thing to do is to make a plan. Read this.
    http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/startingtowrite/a/basicplot.htm
    So in a plot you have three things, basically;
    -protagonist (main character)
    -conflict (some shít that's annoying the main character/that forces them into action)
    -resolve (what the main character does to end the conflict or achieve their goal)
    A simple one would be: here's a cat. There's a tin of cat food sitting on top of a table, open, that the cat would like to eat. The cat is the protagonist. The cat food is what creates the conflict; what's the cat doing to do to get the cat food? That's what interests the reader, everything else goes on top of a good plot. Basically, take this idea of the cat, play around with it, switch in different characters and different objects of desire, and imagine how the character will attain what they want. That's what a story is, in essence. The crazy shít a character does to get what they want. It doesn't have to be complicated, but if it has a good plot and is executed well you'll aaace it! I can post my last short story up that I wrote in my 2nd mock for English (95/100) for anyone who wants to see it, that was done using a simple plot just like the one above. Hope that helps! :D

tl;dr plot. lol.

What's the story about in general, surely no one short story could be the same? Yeah I have one in mind, if it doesn't fit though I'm sticking to the good old speech, never fails for a B. :)

It's about this guy in the olympics, his whole country want him to win, and then to make sure he wins his coach offers him a drug but the runner refuses. And then his wife dies, he's in turmoil, but goes ahead with the race anyway. However he falls at the end, but everyone cheers for him anyway and he feels great because he did everything that was right.
    It's not exactly like that, but still it's a very good story.

Yeah the only thing about the speech is I usually choose it for QB, and y'know it doesn't look good if you do both :P But yeah the speech is definitely my back up too! I'd just run out of things to say :/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

I've applied for the HEAR scheme, and maybe I'm biased but I think that for some people the reduced points thing is actually fair. Not for everyone of course, but earlier this year my family were considering moving as my dad can't find work where we're living. It would've meant having to move school during my LC year and it was honestly the worst few months. The only reason we didn't move is because of my LC. Honestly, this situation isn't even that bad, I'm sure there are people who have had to move.

I know that people find it unfair but the stress of this sort of thing really can get overwhelming to a point where it will affect your LC results.

Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

It's about this guy in the olympics, his whole country want him to win, and then to make sure he wins his coach offers him a drug but the runner refuses. And then his wife dies, he's in turmoil, but goes ahead with the race anyway. However he falls at the end, but everyone cheers for him anyway and he feels great because he did everything that was right.
    It's not exactly like that, but still it's a very good story.

Yeah the only thing about the speech is I usually choose it for QB, and y'know it doesn't look good if you do both :P But yeah the speech is definitely my back up too! I'd just run out of things to say :/

Have you got it graded before? A huge mistake so many students make is writing a story that would be more suited to a short novel, and this seems borderline haha! Keep it to one specific event, capture it brilliantly and there will be no need to involve external family affairs etc. But you're absolutely on to something with the olympics, it's a hot topic for the LC this year with London 2012. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I forgot to remember to apply for the hear scheme this year. I remembered the day of the deadline :rolleyes: . Hopefully I won't need it this year anyway and get the points I need.

I have to pay all my fees in England too or get a loan can't get grants anymore :/ .

Have you got it graded before? A huge mistake so many students make is writing a story that would be more suited to a short novel, and this seems borderline haha! Keep it to one specific event, capture it brilliantly and there will be no need to involve external family affairs etc. But you're absolutely on to something with the olympics, it's a hot topic for the LC this year with London 2012. ;)

I never put the olympics into consideration! But that's promising anyway:L Well the institute showed it to us as a sample A essay, so surely it's good anyway:P I'm not great at stories and it'd take me ages to write one anyway :(
    Yeah the essay is a bit long I thought, it's about 1350 words... how much pages is that around? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Has anybody taken a drop from honours french to pass?? Is it worth taking a huge risk at higher level? :(

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Has anybody taken a drop from honours french to pass?? Is it worth taking a huge risk at higher level? :(

Don't drop down, just wing it! Comprehensions will be graand as will the listening! Sure just bull s h i t on them opinion ones! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

In Hamlet, when he says to Gertrude "Do not spread the compost on the weeds/To make them ranker" is he telling he to basically stop her adultery? Or is it more than that? (Act 3 Scene 4, btw.)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

In Hamlet, when he says to Gertrude "Do not spread the compost on the weeds/To make them ranker" is he telling he to basically stop her adultery? Or is it more than that? (Act 3 Scene 4, btw.)

Yeah I think it means to stop before she makes it even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

He's talking about her messing with his plants and shít, he was always very protective of them. If there's one thing that pissed him off, it was weeds.

Togepi wrote: »
    He's talking about her messing with his plants and shít, he was always very protective of them. If there's one thing that pissed him off, it was weeds.

Ah, I should've known that the literal meaning is always the obvious choice. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

kayleigh01 wrote: »
    I've applied for the HEAR scheme, and maybe I'm biased but I think that for some people the reduced points thing is actually fair. Not for everyone of course, but earlier this year my family were considering moving as my dad can't find work where we're living. It would've meant having to move school during my LC year and it was honestly the worst few months. The only reason we didn't move is because of my LC. Honestly, this situation isn't even that bad, I'm sure there are people who have had to move.

I know that people find it unfair but the stress of this sort of thing really can get overwhelming to a point where it will affect your LC results.

Just my 2 cents.

I do agree. Again, I've applied for HEAR, but I didn't apply because I want the reduced points. I'm fairly certain that I can get the points needed, and if not, then I have HEAR as a backup so that's fine. It may seem unfair "if you are only struggling financially", but that's not the only thing that the HEAR scheme caters for. Take, for example, a really bright student in a disadvantaged school where they haven't got the resources for the student to perform to the best of their ability. Is it fair that that student shouldn't get a chance at the course they want because of bad teaching/disruptive classmates/lack of resources etc? Not to mention that the HEAR scheme offers much more than the reduced points, such as extra financial and personal help. Don't forget either that there are specific places allocated to HEAR/DARE students in each course, so it's not like they're robbing anyone else's place.

• Advertisement

But not smoking the weed :D

362h1p.jpg

But not smoking the weed :D

362h1p.jpg

I knew there was a drug joke in there somewhere. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

That me laugh so hard.. It's not even that funny :P I need to finish these exams quick. :L

I've eaten more food this year than all of the other years of my life combined. As I type I'm eating cheesecake and writing an English essay.

Can't wait to eat undisturbed. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I havent been able to eat properly the last while out of stress. I only realized when I saw all the nice food and my stomach didnt get excited. :( All I ate today was dinner and that wasnt even out of hunger, routine moreso.

Also, I'm sooooooo sick of OL maths people complaining about the 25 points for HL. "OL is no walk in the park" - eh, and HL is? Seriously. Oh my god. The difference between HL/OL maths is absolutely huge and not comparable to any other subject, and the points are there partly because other countries do it and we were being unfair.

Like I'm sorry but oh my god HL maths is hard we deserve points ;_;
    </rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Still not motivated for the leaving at all. I'm ****ed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I havent been able to eat properly the last while out of stress. I only realized when I saw all the nice food and my stomach didnt get excited. :( All I ate today was dinner and that wasnt even out of hunger, routine moreso.

Also, I'm sooooooo sick of OL maths people complaining about the 25 points for HL. "OL is no walk in the park" - eh, and HL is? Seriously. Oh my god. The difference between HL/OL maths is absolutely huge and not comparable to any other subject, and the points are there partly because other countries do it and we were being unfair.

</rant>

haha there seriously is a HUGE difference between OL and HL.

I know, its ridiculous :L When I considered dropping one of the things stopping me was the amount of time I'd have wasted on integration, e, basically anything remotely difficult :')

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Patchy~ wrote: »

</rant>

OL is no walk in the park... TROLOLOLOLOL :pac:

• Advertisement

^ I KNOW :pac:

Alsoooooooo guys for integration, I always thought when the curve crosses an axis you've to do it between x-0 and then 0-y or else some of it would cancel out other bits, but that doesnt seem to be the case. When do you have to split it up, if ever? I know we used to do that. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement