Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ok this is (as doc would say) Redic!

Options
  • 08-12-2008 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

mplayerc_2008_12_08_17_06_38_32.bmp

Seriously this is a shot taken from the Movie Sniper (1993)

Now if Dex comes on here and tells me how this is actually 100% ok, i'll eat my own gearbox.

classic army naturally

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

rofl., hi velocity 9mils huh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

looks more like an very old style night sight to me ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Looks like the old sights the ARW used to have on their MP5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Night vision or Thermal imager scope, anyone showing up with something like that at a skirmish site should be flogged with it!

Dear god that is nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Looks like a perv photographer's zoom lense. looks horrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a flask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

HAHAHA, I want one!

Ah, early nineties props. When films had to look somewhat realistic but have gadgets that had never been invented. I haven't seen this film so I assume it has some special purpose because not even a SINGCARS is that big.
    It's likely a custom build job by the prop department, 2 1/2inch plastic tube with some creative application of dohickeys and a scavenged lens to slot into the front gives a good effect. It could also very easily be a rifle scope with a shroud over it to make it seem more special than it is, made in the same manner (Anyone who's seen my scope will know they are genuinely available that big).
    I don't like breaking the Hollywood magic for you people but you'd be surprised what most of the props are made from. Special purpose custom bullets made from coloured shirt buttons, elaborate bombs made from a Thermos, some qual plex and a pack of Play-Doh, rocket launchers made from poster tubes.

Edit: I just remembered I had this pic of me doing something similar before...
    2259214794_29cfdb4431.jpg?v=0

Oh god no, its like playing Rainbow Six Vegas online with people putting scopes on smgs and shotguns.

I put that on just to show the length comparison. It is something I'd half expect to see in a movie though. The trudge that's been out lately, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Oh god no, its like playing Rainbow Six Vegas online with people putting scopes on smgs and shotguns.

I've never understood the scope on a shotgun thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Doomofman wrote: »

Thats a good thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Doomofman wrote: »

Shotguns can fire solid slugs as well, you can even get rifled shot guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

Yeah but those solid slug's are usally for breakin hinges on doors ( at least thats what arffy the bald seal of future weapons thinks):rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

it took you 13 years to find this?

how is this an airsoft topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

Yeah but those solid slug's are usally for breakin hinges on doors ( at least thats what arffy the bald seal of future weapons thinks):rolleyes:

There not you know, but i cant say what there used for on boards, as a last resort they are used.

Didn't quite get that but okay

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

at least thats what arffy the bald seal of future weapons thinks

Boom De Ya Da!

Doc just died from laughter! RIP

:p:p H8 that chap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

NakedDex wrote: »
    HAHAHA, I want one!

Ah, early nineties props. When films had to look somewhat realistic but have gadgets that had never been invented. I haven't seen this film so I assume it has some special purpose because not even a SINGCARS is that big.
    It's likely a custom build job by the prop department, 2 1/2inch plastic tube with some creative application of dohickeys and a scavenged lens to slot into the front gives a good effect. It could also very easily be a rifle scope with a shroud over it to make it seem more special than it is, made in the same manner (Anyone who's seen my scope will know they are genuinely available that big).
    I don't like breaking the Hollywood magic for you people but you'd be surprised what most of the props are made from. Special purpose custom bullets made from coloured shirt buttons, elaborate bombs made from a Thermos, some qual plex and a pack of Play-Doh, rocket launchers made from poster tubes.

Edit: I just remembered I had this pic of me doing something similar before...

Or maybe its just a night sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

i think i just got sick a little in my mouth!!!!
    that pizza tasted better the first time:(

• Advertisement

Lovely:(

Its a tactical mp5 you n00bs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Wot? i dont get it?

That MP7 is a deadly snyper rifle, full auto epicness will be proper leet 4 snipin and ull PWN dem enemy klanz with W1n!., BOOM HEAD SHOT!

kinkstr wrote: »
    Or maybe its just a night sight.

Or maybe it's a prop? It is a movie after all. There's absolutely no reason for a sight to be that long for a gun that small. See my image of my MP7 sniper machine pistol for example of similar silly overkill.
    Besides, if it is a night sight, where's it's illuminator? And why so much mag? Even thermal imagers are smaller than that. Welcome to movies, where things don't have to make sense so long as they look cool.
    Prescribed viewing for support of this hypothesis:
    Under Siege 1&2
    Die Hard 1-4
    The Matrix Trilogy
    Underworld 1&2
    Shoot 'em Up
    The Transporter 1-3
    The Unit
    See what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Or maybe it's a prop? It is a movie after all. There's absolutely no reason for a sight to be that long for a gun that small. See my image of my MP7 sniper machine pistol for example of similar silly overkill.
    Besides, if it is a night sight, where's it's illuminator? And why so much mag? Even thermal imagers are smaller than that. Welcome to movies, where things don't have to make sense so long as they look cool.
    Prescribed viewing for support of this hypothesis:
    Under Siege 1&2
    Die Hard 1-4
    The Matrix Trilogy
    Underworld 1&2
    Shoot 'em Up
    The Transporter 1-3
    The Unit
    See what I mean?

PLease expand for 24. Also, disagree with the matrix, its all done to fictional basis of reality so I dont see it as ridiculous or whatever we're calling these titles.

I wish I had taken a pic of my m9 when I attached a rail, then a laser to the rail, then a light to the laser, then a laser to the light.

THAT was over kill.

A hooge sight on an mp5 or mp7 is totally acceptable...

One word: Reloads...

All Hollywood is done to a fictional version of reality. Nukes going off in LA and vampires vs werewolves is no less plausible than blowing up a helicopter with a car or hitting a tin can at a mile out with the first shot. It's the opposite of airsoft, not suspension of disbelief, but suspension of realism.

I'd say it is a thermal sight prop for a movie but I have seen that style of a sight of that size on ERU MP5s. Can't actually find pics of it right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sniper is actually a pretty damn good movie, the sequels are crap though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Right a few things. This has turned in to an arm chair generals thread. Photos of ARW members:

atsmall.jpg

blackgreen.jpg

Notice anything?

Shotgun slugs are for alot more then taking hinges off doors. :rolleyes:

Finally this really has nothing to do with airsoft so im shipping it off to the military forum.

Advertisement