Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty Free Whiskey ideas?

• 21-07-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm pretty new to the whole whiskey thing. In the last few years any time I go through the airport I try and buy a different bottle of a nice whiskey. I've a decent little collection going, nothing too serious. Am looking for suggestions of something to get next week when I fly out.
    I already have the below.

Yellow Spot
    Green Spot
    Powers, Johns Lane
    Redbreast 12
    Bushmills 10
    Jameson 12
    Jameson 18
    Jameson Gold Reserve

Of those the yellow spot the bushmills 10 and the Powers are the ones I would like most.
    I remember one time going through the guy in the shop suggesting a particular tullamore dew to me but I can't remember what it was.

So any suggestions on what I should get next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wouldn't bother buying an teelings until their own distillery is producing liquid. Tullamore 10 year single malt is fab but their cider cask finish is disappointing. Jameson Caskmates is probably the best bang for your buck. Rebreast 15 is pricey but unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

If they have the Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton, pick that up. €50 duty free and a fantastic whiskey, especially if you like SPS.

Good shout above for Tullamore 10yo single malt, it's being withdrawn this year so I'd pick it up if you get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

I know you have it already but the Powers John Lane was only 51 euro in Dublin Airport last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I would disagree about the Teeling stuff. The stocks they have are fantastic, and it's not just from Cooley. Unfortunately, the older stuff they bottle is very expensive. There are single casks bottled for independent bottlers that are well worth picking up, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jacko493

Thanks for the advice, that Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton sounds interesting, will prob pick that up if they have it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Any interest in scotch or just interested in Irish Whiskey?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Any interest in scotch or just interested in Irish Whiskey?

I havent tried too many tbh, I did buy a 15yr old glenfiddich on spec in a duty free a couple of years ago just to try a scotch and I wouldnt be mad on it to be honest. That said I've no idea if that would be a good scotch or not I just bought it without doing any research.

Am open to trying anything really. Coming back from the States the range of Irish whiskey is pretty limited so I might pick up some scotch if you had any recommendations?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well it's pretty varied.

Something like Glenlivet usually goes down well with most people.

If you like something a little smoky but not too peated, Highland Park 12 year old is very good.

Talisker 10 year old is also highly recommended.

If you like peated whiskies, anything from Islay, especially Bowmore, Lagavulin and Laphraoig (or however it's spelled).

There are over 100 Scottish distilleries so the choice is endless. Some airports will let you taste some before buying.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well it's pretty varied.

Something like Glenlivet usually goes down well with most people.

If you like something a little smoky but not too peated, Highland Park 12 year old is very good.

Talisker 10 year old is also highly recommended.

If you like peated whiskies, anything from Islay, especially Bowmore, Lagavulin and Laphraoig (or however it's spelled).

There are over 100 Scottish distilleries so the choice is endless. Some airports will let you taste some before buying.

would the 15 year old glenfiddich be known as a good one?

I'm not sure to be honest, I've only tasted it in a bar after a few beers. I know some people who really like it and others who do not, it wouldn't be regarded as one of the top distilleries I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I bought a bottle of Connemara's regular effort for 23 euro (down from 40) on my last trip to the states. Great value for money, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Lagavulin 16 was in the duty free last time i passed through the airport. My favourite whiskey of all time and worth adding to any collection.
    Id also add bushmills 16, leaps and bounds above the 10. The 10 is great but the 16 is in a class of its own.

Im not a huge scotch fan, but got glenfiddich tasting set the last time i passed through. the 12 didnt sit well with me at all. Got that same starchy back of the throat after taste from it that i get with potcheen. The Reserve was nice, didnt expect it to be smoky. Not a patch on Lagavulin or Ardbeg but if i got it for 30 quid id go for it. The 15 was ok also, nothing too memorable though so the price would have to be great before id pick up a bottle.

I second the Powers John Lane Signature Release(green label), or the John Lane 12(brown label). Both excellent pot stills. green label is younger and about a tenner cheaper but is amazing. they are different enough that i dont rate one over the other, both worth having, but if unsure, go for the younger green labelled one. Just delicious.

Caskmates, as mentioned is the best value for money. 6 days a week and twice on Sunday! I have 3 bottles of that at home, its just the easiest whiskey to drink with some wonderful sweetness and nice round flavours of toffee, stout and a little fruity sharpness (not as much as the powers though). You cannot be without a bottle of this.

Lastly, Id say just see whats there, and get something you wouldnt normally purchase. its a nice chance to get something different at a good price and you never know, you could end up loving it. Im mad to try some Japaneese Whiskeys but just havnt had the chance yet.

Brockagh wrote: »
    I would disagree about the Teeling stuff. The stocks they have are fantastic, and it's not just from Cooley. Unfortunately, the older stuff they bottle is very expensive. There are single casks bottled for independent bottlers that are well worth picking up, though.
    Nothing wrong with teelings indeed but in terms of a "collection" I wouldn't bother unless you want to go for the 26 or 30 year old stuff which as you point out is ruinously expensive

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where are the 26 and 30 coming from (of the two potential sources)?

Stephen hasnt told me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

L1011 wrote: »
    Where are the 26 and 30 coming from (of the two potential sources)?

They have a decent stock of aged and peated malt stock from Bushmills.

And it's double-distilled Bushmills. Made when Frank McHardy was distillery manager.

They also benefited from IDL's cask selection policy during this period, I think.

The older vintages (late 80s and early 90s) have a wonderful tropical fruit note. I think it's some of the best Irish whiskey around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

jacko493 wrote: »
    would the 15 year old glenfiddich be known as a good one?

Not by people who know their Scottish whisky but I've come across Irish drinkers who cherish their bottle of Glenfiddich as if it is a prized possession. It's not that expensive overseas but in Ireland it is and people equate price with quality.

If you google "Scottish whisky graph" you'll come across some various tasting profiles which may be of help as a guide. If buying Scottish and it was significantly cheaper I would stock up on the aforementioned Talisker, Laphroaig etc.

If buying Irish duty free it would be Redbreast and aged Jameson and/or Powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Irishman founders reserve is about €19 in duty free (actual duty free) and is absolutely gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Teeling's Single Malt is a nice drop, despite the no age statement, this is as good, if not better than most 12 year old single malts for the price IMHO

• Advertisement

Ageyev wrote: »
    Not by people who know their Scottish whisky but I've come across Irish drinkers who cherish their bottle of Glenfiddich as if it is a prized possession. It's not that expensive overseas but in Ireland it is and people equate price with quality.

If you google "Scottish whisky graph" you'll come across some various tasting profiles which may be of help as a guide. If buying Scottish and it was significantly cheaper I would stock up on the aforementioned Talisker, Laphroaig etc.

If buying Irish duty free it would be Redbreast and aged Jameson and/or Powers.

I think the Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve is very good, especially for the price. A lovely rich and spicy whisky. It would be great if they bottled it at 46%, in my opinion. For me, it's a solid 8/10 whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

If you want to spend a few extra euro, the Redbreast 21 year old is approx 140. It is a cracking whiskey. Either that or the 15 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Azza89 wrote: »
    If you want to spend a few extra euro, the Redbreast 21 year old is approx 140. It is a cracking whiskey. Either that or the 15 year old.

Id second these two, both great. I got a bottle of Powers Signature Release there a week ago and have had a few drinks of it and its excellent stuff, really really nice

If you want to spend a few bib more, at the Loop they now have a single cask Powers for 200 euro...

So I ended up getting the Jameson caskmates on the way out and the Jameson select reserve on the way back.

Had wanted to get the Green Spot Chateau Leoville but they were all out. The lady in the shop said as soon as it's on the shelves it's pretty much gone. They had a tasting stand for the caskmates which I tried and found interesting so bought that.

On way back they the U.S. the selection was pretty limited. Was either the select reserve or bushmills 10yo. Already have a litre of the bushmills so went for the Jameson. Have never tried it but have the gold reserve which I like.

Two pretty inexpensive bottles so leaves me with a bit more to play with on the next purchase!!
    Thanks for all the advice folks. Much appreciated.

Brockagh wrote: »
    If you want to spend a few bib more, at the Loop they now have a single cask Powers for 200 euro...

Not sure I'm up to paying 200 for a bottle just yet! Think if I was going in that region I'd probably go for the bushmills 21yo. Had a taster of that recently and really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Maybe it isn't done in the duty free or just isn't popular in general but I loved the bottle of Tyrconnell single malt I had a while ago. Didn't get it in the duty free mind you but I don't expect it'd be that expensive as you could get it retail in a shop or less than 40 anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

jacko493 wrote: »
    Not sure I'm up to paying 200 for a bottle just yet! Think if I was going in that region I'd probably go for the bushmills 21yo. Had a taster of that recently and really liked it.

I dont know what price the Bushmills is in the Duty Free but if you keep an eye on O'Briens (The wine place) they have it on offer at 99.99 every few months. The next cheapest ive found is 135. As I said, I dont know the duty free price though. If anyone does, let us know please ! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I got Crested Ten recently. I was suitably impressed with it. No Caskmates available. I think I will go for the select reserve next time as it is getting good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

theres caskmates available in Obriens in sandyford & in the celtic whiskey shop on Dawson Street. Not Duty free prices but still not that expensive so if you want to try it its very much worth it.

Advertisement