Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese Qualification

• 31-01-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi
    I am interested in gaining a post graduate course or a degree (or even a diploma) course in Japanese either part time or by correspondence or via internet. I have been looking on the internet for one in either Ireland or the UK. Can anyone help me here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 doneanddusted

Might be a bit late - I have only just seen this post - but have you tried the SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies) in London? Very hard to get into I believe but if your Japanese is decent you could try. I assume at this stage you have already come across this school though.

If you want to do translation and stick with Ireland, you could do a postgrad translation at DCU and pick Japanese as your language. Though I think you have to have two foreign languages for that course. If you do, it should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Might be a bit late - I have only just seen this post - but have you tried the SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies) in London? Very hard to get into I believe but if your Japanese is decent you could try. I assume at this stage you have already come across this school though.

If you want to do translation and stick with Ireland, you could do a postgrad translation at DCU and pick Japanese as your language. Though I think you have to have two foreign languages for that course. If you do, it should be ok.

The Masters in Translation in DCU requires prior knowledge of Japanese. The general requirement is a degree in Japanese but there are other ways to show your language is up to scratch. You don't need 2 languages but it's a full time Masters (OP asked for part-time).

OP - do you have any Japanese ability or are you looking to study as a beginner? For the former there are no part-time postgrad courses that allow you to gain a qualification in Japanese in Ireland but there likely are in England (I'm not familiar with them yet though). Picking it up from scratch is another story though and you'll likely only be able to do that at undergrad level in either country.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 doneanddusted

Yes I assumed Konata that as she was asking a postgrad course `in Japanese` (whether or not she meant to word it in a way that meant she wanted to do it through Japanese) she would already know Japanese because you could not really do a postgrad in Japanese having no Japanese. I do know that DCU requires you to have Japanese for their postgrads. I just did not notice the part-time preference.

Come to think of it , Lizcarolan, though they are not `in Japanese` there are post-grad courses down in UCC relating to East Asia and business, that enable you to start Japanese from scratch but you might not get far in one year. Most of these relate to China but one course I think lets you learn either Japanese, Korean or Chinese as it relates to East Asia and lets you learn one of these three languages. I don`t know whether it is part-time, I cannot remember. I imagine it is full time and yes you said part-time or correspondence but check it out anyway. They might have different options for you.

Advertisement