Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Wrestling Facts.

Options
  • 16-08-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Just a little something to keep the PW Boards ticking over. Think of (or search for;)) three pro wrestling facts which you deem to be interesting and post them here for the rest of us.

Please keep it to a 3 fact maximum so as we can give everyone a turn and so we aren't just receiving a wall of copy and pasted text. Hopefully we get some good ones!

I'll go first with a Hart Foundation theme.

* Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart has never wrestled on a WWF or WCW PPV in a singles match

*Owen Hart left Wrestlemania 3 times with 3 different partners as a tag team champion. (WM XI w/Yokozuna, WM 13 w/British Bulldog, WM XV w/Jeff Jarrett)

*Bret Hart is the only man to win back-to-back King Of The Ring Tournaments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Psycho Sid apparently shat himself during his match in Wrestlemania 13.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

That is all.

Must of been one awkward tombstone that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

-According to the book, The Death of WCW, David Arquette donated his earnings from his time in the promotion to Droz, as well as Brian Pillman's and Owen Hart's families.

-Not interesting, or obscure, as much as it is funny, but The Rock is on something of a drawn-out legend killing streak, winning his last three 'Mania matches by going over Hogan, Austin and Cena respectively.

-Chris Kreski is oft forgotten, but is responsible for manning creative from late '99, through to late '00, when Stephanie took over the newly-formed creative division. Kreski would leave two years later, and sadly died of cancer in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You obviously missed the whole point of the thread so...

Clearly asked for a 3 fact minimum so we could all have a little go and make it more interactive and random! Screw it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Ah jaysus I didn't mean to ruin your thread or anything,but I think these rumours are so much more interesting than facts though!

Ah jaysus I didn't mean to ruin your thread or anything,but I think these rumours are so much more interesting than facts though!

No, it's too late. You're going thru the Barbershop window!

No worries big man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

That is all.

185px-Undertaker_WM_13.jpg

oh%20god.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Rest.....In......Faeces.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Couple of SummerSlam facts for ya!

The first two SummerSlams were headlined by tag team matches -
    1988 : MegaPowers (Hogan/Savage) vs MegaBucks (Ted DiBiase/Andre)
    1989 : Hogan/Beefcake vs Macho & Zeus

1991 is the only SummerSlam to be headlined NOT by a match - it was a wedding (Macho Man & Miss Elizabeth) - can you think of any PPVs that the last featured event was not a match?

The Intercontinental Championship would change hands every SummerSlam until 1993
    1988 : Warrior over Honky
    1989 : Warrior over Rude
    1990 : Tornado over Perfect
    1991 : Hart over Perfect
    1992 : Bulldog over Hart
    1993 : Shawn retained against Mr Perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Konnan taught Bret Hart the Sharpshooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Hender

Cody Rhodes passed out at Mania 26

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Taken right from the Kevin Nash Kayfabe Commentaries Timeline of '95 shoot:

- On a plane flight, Savio vega cut the pony tails off Razor Ramon and Shawn Micheals as they slept. Savio was released shortly after this.

- There was no catering in WWF back in the day.

- When someone had a dark match, it was the 123 Kid's role to wrestle them. He either gave them a thumbs up or thumbs down... if you got the thumbs down you didnt get hired.

- Razor Ramon liked working with the a very young Jeff Hardy in jobber matches. He would even give Jeff a move or two. Which Nash states that Vince hated.

I got more, but can't think of any right now. Good shoot. People should watch it.

- Razor Ramon liked working with the a very young Jeff Hardy in jobber matches.

Don't think I've ever seen these two wrestle before until now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Shawn Stasiak is a 15 time Hardcore Champion, but never held the title for a full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Pat Patterson was the first person to suggest to Bret Hart that he use a scorpion deathlock finisher.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Taken right from the Kevin Nash Kayfabe Commentaries Timeline of '95 shoot:

- On a plane flight, Savio vega cut the pony tails off Razor Ramon and Shawn Micheals as they slept. Savio was released shortly after this.

Savio Vega was in the WWE for all of 1997 and 1998 for the N.O.D/Faction war thing they had going on during the Attitude Era. Not really much of a punishment :P

I'm not sure that ponytail story is true, Shawn Michaels had extremely long hair when he won the Royal Rumble in January 1996, likewise Scott Hall when he debuted in WCW a few months later.

Unless they were extensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

One of my favourite stories is from Bret Hart's book. When WWF were in Belfast, a taxi driver at the hotel (who had links with the IRA) offered to show him around the city including some of the more dangerous spots. His two children were massive WWF fans and had Bret Hart posters all over their room. He took his two kids out of school to meet Bret. They literally walked into their living room and there was Bret Hart, at the height of his fame, sitting down having a cup of tea. :D

I think the taxi driver claimed to have been a former member of the IRA, and was no longer involved. I don't think he was as dangerous as he let on initially, having read the story in the book.

Amy Dumas was in a band with Guy Picciotto of Fugazi/Rites Of Spring on drums. They played 1 show ever.

• Advertisement

I guess times have changed in 20 years but aren't the talent kept on a tight leash when abroad, ie security always hanging around? Unless there was a security guy with him in the taxi but he never mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Charisteas wrote: »
    I guess times have changed in 20 years but aren't the talent kept on a tight leash when abroad, ie security always hanging around? Unless there was a security guy with him in the taxi but he never mentioned it.

Well Bret's always been the type of guy to turn down things like security and all. When he became WWF champion, he turned down his own private changing room in favor of changing in the lockerroom with his fellow wrestlers.

Anyway it's more a story then just a fact but here it goes.

Plane ride from hell summary. The infamous plane ride that has been spoken about from time and time again from various wrestlers.

1.Bradshaw/JBL got into a confrontation or fight with Michael Hayes.

2. Someone cut of Michael Hayes's ponytail. Sean Waltman in an interview claimed he cut Michael Hayes's ponytail off. This story about Hayes's ponytail is supposed to be true. Waltman claimed he did it, because Hayes was burying him in creative meetings.

3. Curt Hennig challenged Brock Lesnar to a shoot wresting match. Going by advice from Paul Haymen and apparently Undertaker, Lesnar obliged and the two wrestled in the aisle in front of the wrestlers. This incident led to Curt Hennig getting released.

4. A drunk Goldust serenaded his then ex-wife Terri Runnels with love songs over the plane's intercom. This incident led to Goldust getting suspended.

5.Scott Hall got released after the plane ride for hell. However it should be noted that Hall was asleep during the whole flight. What got him fired, was his poor condition during the trip as well as his bad behavior. Typical Scott Hall really.

6.Ric Flair took off all his clothes, and apparently did his signature strut down the aisle of the plane. I heard this one from Sean Waltman's interview. But it also said to be true.

There is also another story from another plane ride that involved Vince McMahon, Kurt Angle and Undertaker. Vince jokingly told Angle he was the only man who could take Angle down. The two got into it, and Angle took Vince down with ease. All through the flight Vince would attempt to take Angle down. In one particular incident the two woke up a sleeping Undertaker, who mistook the incident of someone attacking Vince and Undertaker choked Angle out. I don't know how true this ease, however Sean Waltman apparently confirmed part of the story in the interview I talked about, when he said Vince and Angle were having shoot take down matches on another plane ride. This was in reference to the incident with Lesnar and Hennig.

Wasn't X-Pac smoking X-Pot in the airplane bathroom on this trip also? Absolutely nuts journey!

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Well Bret's always been the type of guy to turn down things like security and all. When he became WWF champion, he turned down his own private changing room in favor of changing in the lockerroom with his fellow wrestlers.
    According to his book, Vince told Bret that he wanted to get rid of the locker room thing, because the way things had gotten with Hogan, a divide had developed in the ranks. Bret said he didn't mind, according to what's in print anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

According to the band themselves Hulk Hogan was never asked to be a member of Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Riddle101 wrote: »
    There is also another story from another plane ride that involved Vince McMahon, Kurt Angle and Undertaker. Vince jokingly told Angle he was the only man who could take Angle down. The two got into it, and Angle took Vince down with ease. All through the flight Vince would attempt to take Angle down. In one particular incident the two woke up a sleeping Undertaker, who mistook the incident of someone attacking Vince and Undertaker choked Angle out. I don't know how true this ease, however Sean Waltman apparently confirmed part of the story in the interview I talked about, when he said Vince and Angle were having shoot take down matches on another plane ride. This was in reference to the incident with Lesnar and Hennig.

This one is from Angle's autobiography (well, the WWE's ghostwritten one from the early noughties), "It's True, It's True", so it comes from the man himself. I'm convinced it was actually bus journey, instead of a plane, but I've yet to find a citation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Wasn't part of the plane journey from hell was that someone mistook the bathroom for linda mcmahons lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Maria Kanellis claimed that one time when she was driving, Randy Orton was in the car behind her and kept throwing lit fireworks at her car. i think Carlito was in the car with her or else he was just driving close by and he had some kind of confrontation with Orton about it

the Tough Enough episode where Martin Casaus won his third skills challenge (the one with Luke) was his 26th birthday

Undertaker was originally meant to hatch from the egg that held the Gobbledegooker but they decided against it at the last minute. it was Eddie Guerrero's brother Hector under the suit

Jillian Hall's singing gimmick was not actually created to mock Brooke Hogan. she was doing a bikini contest at a house show and decided to grab the mic and try it out. management liked it and used it on TV. she also wrote and recorded her Sliced Bread entrance theme on her own on the offchance they would use it

CMpunked wrote: »
    Wasn't part of the plane journey from hell was that someone mistook the bathroom for linda mcmahons lap?

Oh yeah that was Micheal Hayes as well.

Here Sean Waltman's interview anyway.

• Advertisement

I know we're not supposed to post one after the other. But I have other wrestling facts or trivia.

I read this in the Hardy Boyz book years ago.
    Ribbing is notorious in wrestling lockerroom. Some famous lockerroom ribbers were Owen Hart and Curt Hennig. Well one rib wasn't actually a prank, The Hardyz were offered beers when they first started which they turned down as they didn't drink at the time(Now look at them). When they turned down the beers, they got a bit of heat from the lockerroom because of it, and were pretty much ignored for a certain amount of time. They were later given a second chance when Bradshaw/JBL told them to hurl beer bottles at a stop sign, and video tape it. They did it and were forgiven.

Another incident where the Hardyz got lockerroom heat as stated in their book, was after they won the tag team championships for the first time. They were managed by Michael Hayes at the time. Anyway they were on a plane and Hayes advised them to take two seats in first class, that were supposedly empty. One of the seats the Hardyz(can't remember which one) took actually belonged to Kane who was still at the terminal waiting for D'lo Brown because he had his ticket. Kane got on and saw one of them in is seat. Whichever one was in the seat offered to get up, but Kane said "no no, i'll go back and find another". Apparently other wrestlers got wind of this and thought the Hardyz were getting a little over their heads, so they were summoned to lockerroom court, with Undertaker as the judge. The book gives a funny account of the court, with Bradshaw/JBL acting as prosecutor and Kane acting as the witness. In the end, the court ruled that the Hardyz were innocent but Michael Hayes was found guilty, and Hayes was punished for it. Can't remember what his punishment was though.

Another rib was spoken about in Edge's book. Bradshaw/JBL told Vader that Edge said something about him which caused Vader to work stiff with him in a match. Eventually Edge stiffed Vader a couple of times, and Vader eased up. Also in the showers Edge was washing himself. When Bradshaw/JBL came into the showers as well, and put his hand on Edge's ass, Edge looked around to see Bradshaw grinning at him, and Edge just goes "This guy has his hand on my ass". The lockerroom who was watching burst out laughing.

According to Kurt Angle, Undertaker wanted to wrestle him at Wrestlmania one year and was going to put Angle over, but Vince didn't like the idea and the idea to have them wrestle at Mania was put off.

Advertisement