Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has Martin McHugh actually joined The Sunday Game?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have no problem with what Brolly said himself the other day. I even mentioned it on the Cork thread that he had a point. And he has.

I have been reading McHugh articles in the Star paper for number of years and he really digs into Cork. I remember the Monday after the AI and he basically said had Down been wearing a Black Kit instead of Yellow they have won.(Yes he did say that)

McHugh, Spillane or Brolly have every right to be critical of Cork when they deserve it, but the 2 Ulster lads take it too far at times. When Brolly was basically mocking certain players in Cork team thats taking it too far.
    You should get them to wear a Mayo jersey see how far the mocking goes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

I have no problem with what Brolly said himself the other day. I even mentioned it on the Cork thread that he had a point. And he has.

I have been reading McHugh articles in the Star paper for number of years and he really digs into Cork. I remember the Monday after the AI and he basically said had Down been wearing a Black Kit instead of Yellow they have won.(Yes he did say that)

McHugh, Spillane or Brolly have every right to be critical of Cork when they deserve it, but the 2 Ulster lads take it too far at times. When Brolly was basically mocking certain players in Cork team thats taking it too far.
    Well I dont read the Star so Ill have to take your word for it. Disappointed to hear that. As for Brolly- used to tolerate him because he was intersting to listen to-now i just fin him a crashing bore;anyway wouldnt worry too much bout him or spillane.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

McHugh is one pundit I can't stand. He has a clear dislike for Cavan and can't hide it.

Last year for example, stating that Donegal U21s lost the final to Cavan but would be the happier team because they had more players capable of making the step up to senior level. He said he saw none in the Cavan team. Pure bitterness given the fact that Killian Clarke, Fergal Flanagan, Jason McLoughlin and Jack Brady, all established seniors at the time, were playing for Cavan. Clarke went on to win an Ulster All Star at corner back at the age of 20 last year.

A few years back he also described Cavan as the worst team in Ulster despite the fact that we had just beaten Fermanagh and had beaten Antrim the previous season.

These are just some of the snippets I've seen.

For me, Ciaran Whelan, and I was no fan of his as a player, is the best analyst on any station. If only they could get more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Lemlin wrote: »
    McHugh is one pundit I can't stand. He has a clear dislike for Cavan and can't hide it.

Last year for example, stating that Donegal U21s lost the final to Cavan but would be the happier team because they had more players capable of making the step up to senior level. He said he saw none in the Cavan team. Pure bitterness given the fact that Killian Clarke, Fergal Flanagan, Jason McLoughlin and Jack Brady, all established seniors at the time, were playing for Cavan. Clarke went on to win an Ulster All Star at corner back at the age of 20 last year.

A few years back he also described Cavan as the worst team in Ulster despite the fact that we had just beaten Fermanagh and had beaten Antrim the previous season.

These are just some of the snippets I've seen.

For me, Ciaran Whelan, and I was no fan of his as a player, is the best analyst on any station. If only they could get more like him.

I like Whelan as well for what is worth. I dont read The Star so cant comment on what he says in there either, but I dont agree that he hates Cavan. He may hate the way we beat Donegal, ( I dont know what he said after we beat them) but I seen him analysing us on BBC, back in the day where we were beating nobody, and he never went to town on us. He basically said that it was disappointing the way Cavan football was going (at the time), and praising the support from the fans, and that they deserved better. Neither him nor Burns went over the top in either criticising or praising teams in general, and for me at least, thats the way it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

At this rate there'll be no nobody left he doesn't hate, which begs the question: Is McHugh really the problem? Had to laugh at the comments about him hating Dublin and Cork, the commentary on the league S/F must have been worth a listen.

He can be cutting, we've to listen to him here on local radio and he doesn't let Donegal off easy. For me him and Burns are the best "live" analysts, compare their comments at half time to the Sunday game boys, much more substance and quality to them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

K-9 wrote: »
    At this rate there'll be no nobody left he doesn't hate, which begs the question: Is McHugh really the problem? Had to laugh at the comments about him hating Dublin and Cork, the commentary on the league S/F must have been worth a listen.

He can be cutting, we've to listen to him here on local radio and he doesn't let Donegal off easy. For me him and Burns are the best "live" analysts, compare their comments at half time to the Sunday game boys, much more substance and quality to them.

I hear he said your a lovely lad ;)

That's their job!!! What are they meant to do, say they love every team and that every player is brilliant, its not the BBC match of the day panel or SKY Sports, at least the RTE boys don't pander.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

K-9 wrote: »

Got to agree with this, I get the sneaking suspicion that people are being a bit overly defensive of their own little patches!

The bit in bold is very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cork for me do tend to attract a lot of criticism, I don't know if McHugh is really any worse than anybody else though.

McHugh at his best gives you insightful analysis, often with the Sunday Game live it seems pretty obvious stuff, McHugh will often point out tactics that aren't that clear from watching it on TV, you're getting the benefit of his playing and managerial experience.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

There's no doubt that McHugh is an intelligent man, who knows his football, but personally he lost me, when he moaned about how poor Cavan were during a commentary, and added his opinion that basically there was no hope for our future because we just didn't have any good young players coming through. Bear in mind that this was after we had won a Minor, and a few Ulster u-21 titles in a row (and have won some more since, not only disproving his theory, but making a total joke of it!) and these players were filtering through into the senior set up...it basically couldn't have been further from the truth!
    He has been quite bitter in relation to us, but at the end of the day, in the bigger scheme of things, his opinion isn't worth a hat of crabs!
    From '95 - '97, I thought that he was the football Messiah...it's funny how you go off people, eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

He does fabulous analysis of the games on radio, as long as you are not a county that he has a deep dislike off. More than once, I have been amazed at how well he is able to go into the deep intricacies of a game and, point out what managers are trying to do and why they are or aren't working. His knowledge makes a total mockery of the clueless crap that the likes of Marty Morrissey & Ger Canning spout during games.

But he does take some unmerciful shots at counties he doesn't like. A couple of years ago, he was doing Dubins league game vs Donegal on Highland Radio. About an hour before the game, the players from both sides came out onto the pitch for a casual kick about. A few of the Dubs were wearing those large beats headphones, as they had just come off a 3 hr bus journey. Wee Marty said that he didn't like to see the Dubs wearing them, as he thought it was "arrogant". Then a few Donegal lads walked out on to the pitch. Lo and behold a few of them had the same headphones on. Did he mention them? Did he like hell. Nope, it was just them arrogant Dubs, being the fancy dans with their fancy headphones. Jesus wept ! :rolleyes:

Then before last years league semi final double header, he had a go at Dubs fans for not being true GAA fans, as they didn't come in early to watch the game that was on before the Dubs game. I dunno about you lot, but I have a life outside of being a GAA fan. I would love to spend all day, every day, at Croke Park, doing nothing but watching matches. But sometimes, life get in the way, as I have other commitments and calls on my time. Does that make me a "bad" GAA fan? Apparently, in Martin McHugh's eyes it does. :(

I have heard bring up that kind of petty crap, that has zero bearing or relevance to actual games, in other counties games too. So it makes it hard for me to take him seriously over all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

ProudDUB wrote: »
    He does fabulous analysis of the games on radio, as long as you are not a county that he has a deep dislike off. More than once, I have been amazed at how well he is able to go into the deep intricacies of a game and, point out what managers are trying to do and why they are or aren't working. His knowledge makes a total mockery of the clueless crap that the likes of Marty Morrissey & Ger Canning spout during games.

But he does take some unmerciful shots at counties he doesn't like. A couple of years ago, he was doing Dubins league game vs Donegal on Highland Radio. About an hour before the game, the players from both sides came out onto the pitch for a casual kick about. A few of the Dubs were wearing those large beats headphones, as they had just come off a 3 hr bus journey. Wee Marty said that he didn't like to see the Dubs wearing them, as he thought it was "arrogant". Then a few Donegal lads walked out on to the pitch. Lo and behold a few of them had the same headphones on. Did he mention them? Did he like hell. Nope, it was just them arrogant Dubs, being the fancy dans with their fancy headphones. Jesus wept ! :rolleyes:

Then before last years league semi final double header, he had a go at Dubs fans for not being true GAA fans, as they didn't come in early to watch the game that was on before the Dubs game. I dunno about you lot, but I have a life outside of being a GAA fan. I would love to spend all day, every day, at Croke Park, doing nothing but watching matches. But sometimes, life get in the way, as I have other commitments and calls on my time. Does that make me a "bad" GAA fan? Apparently, in Martin McHugh's eyes it does. :(

I have heard bring up that kind of petty crap, that has zero bearing or relevance to actual games, in other counties games too. So it makes it hard for me to take him seriously over all.

McHugh loves to talk about Dublin and get his digs in,.Most of these Dublin players have won All Irelands@Senior/U21, National League,Club Championship more than McHugh ever won so should take no notice of him

Gael85 wrote: »
    McHugh loves to talk about Dublin and get his digs in,.Most of these Dublin players have won All Irelands@Senior/U21, National League,Club Championship more than McHugh ever won so should take no notice of him
    Hes won all irelands at senior and u21,is a 2 time all star and former footballer of the year,managed Cavan to their only ulster title in 40 years,oh yeah and wiped the floor with your star player keith barr in the all ireland final, so be a good boy and stop making a fool of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

typical rte gaelic football commentator - the football is crap. too many hand passes and it was better in my day etc and of course every attempt to improve the game will result in absolute bedlam. Terrible commentator way too negative and doesnt have a clue about squads outside donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

harpsman wrote: »
    Hes won all irelands at senior and u21,is a 2 time all star and former footballer of the year,managed Cavan to their only ulster title in 40 years,oh yeah and wiped the floor with your star player keith barr in the all ireland final, so be a good boy and stop making a fool of yourself.

He's gone record to say that he, at least, went into the '92 final determined not to shake his opponent's hand before the match. Reckoned poor big cuddly Keith was very discomforted by his action, or lack of it, as the case may be.

Always thought he had an ongoing liking of Cavan, but also that he has zero time for the dubs.

delaad wrote: »
    He's gone record to say that he, at least, went into the '92 final determined not to shake his opponent's hand before the match. Reckoned poor big cuddly Keith was very discomforted by his action, or lack of it, as the case may be.

Always thought he had an ongoing liking of Cavan, but also that he has zero time for the dubs.

Im sure youve heard the story that when mchugh missed a free in the first minute barr ran past him and said "you dont have the balls for it wee man". 20 minutes later after leavin barr on his ass tio kick his third point mchugh ran past him and said "we ll see who has the balls for it now!" Also mchugh was so confident about winning his main concern was to be close to the ref when the final whistle went so he could get the match ball, which he duly did. Speakin of barr ive heard mchugh on the radio talkin bout what a great coach he is of both football and hurling i believe.

Gael85 wrote: »

That is all well and good, if you are a player, playing in the actual games. They don't have to listen to him spout his rubbish on the wireless, or on the tellybox. But we poor supporters aren't so lucky. We have no choice but to listen to him, especially when he is given the really high profile gigs.

He was Ger Cannings co commenator for last years All Ireland final. I was at the game, but when watching my recording of it later on, I was highly amused to hear speculation from McHugh, that BB's second goal was illegal. Not one single journalist or broadcaster or analyst mentioned this possibility after the game, even though all the goals in the game were analysed to death. Yet wee Marty is falling all over himself to come up with a bull$hit reason to deny Dublin the win. You can't but be pissed off at that kind of thing, no matter who you are.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Im sure youve heard the story that when mchugh missed a free in the first minute barr ran past him and said "you dont have the balls for it wee man". 20 minutes later after leavin barr on his ass tio kick his third point mchugh ran past him and said "we ll see who has the balls for it now!" Also mchugh was so confident about winning his main concern was to be close to the ref when the final whistle went so he could get the match ball, which he duly did. Speakin of barr ive heard mchugh on the radio talkin bout what a great coach he is of both football and hurling i believe.

I heard it many many times, I was at every game that Dublin lost to Ulster teams in the 90s, collectively he went on about that win more than all the other players combined ever did , a bad winner IMHO, unlike Ross Carr for example who I think is a great commentator. I remember McHugh banging on about how Donegal had class and wore suits to the game and changed when they got there while Dublin wore tracksuits, if he writes a book about 1992 I'd say it will have 2000 pages in it. I actually know what the Donegal team had for breakfast in 1992 as a result of McHugh.

I also like David Brady I think he is usually spot on. I like Whelan too but on RTE Darragh O Se is my favourite. I was also delighted to see T O Se last week on the panel. I thought he was great. The way he spoke about both Cork and Dublin was fair, respectful and on the money.

I think the guys with more than one all Ireland carry more weight. Apart from Pat Spillane they don't seem to rub it in either.

I think a lot of people want to see new blood in there. Certainly guys from the successful Tyrone and Kerry teams. Some of the other lads are way past it IMHO the game has come on so much since they played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Hes won all irelands at senior and u21,is a 2 time all star and former footballer of the year,managed Cavan to their only ulster title in 40 years,oh yeah and wiped the floor with your star player keith barr in the all ireland final, so be a good boy and stop making a fool of yourself.[/quote

Nobody making fools of themselves here kiddo.just facts.
    For years McHugh has slated this Dublin team before they Won All Irelands in 2011 & last year in particular getting sly digs at Brogan brothers over the years in his column in the Star.These lads have proved themselves and have medals to prove it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Donegal and Derry won the 3 greatest All Ireland between them dont ye know....

Stoner wrote: »

I also like David Brady I think he is usually spot on. I like Whelan too but on RTE Darragh O Se is my favourite. I was also delighted to see T O Se last week on the panel. I thought he was great. The way he spoke about both Cork and Dublin was fair, respectful and on the money.

I think the guys with more than one all Ireland carry more weight. Apart from Pat Spillane they don't seem to rub it in either.

I think a lot of people want to see new blood in there. Certainly guys from the successful Tyrone and Kerry teams. Some of the other lads are way past it IMHO the game has come on so much since they played it.

Oh great. Just what we need. Yet another Kerry man working in the meeja. Coz God knows, there aren't enough of them as it is. :rolleyes:

I agree with you on Tomas. I think he'll be better at punditry than his brother. He'll tell it like it is, with no bull$hit. Far be it from me to accuse a Kerry man of talking out of both sides of his mouth, ( :D) but Daragh is juggling a lot of different media balls in the air. Some times I think that he tries to keep too many people happy, instead of just saying what he actually thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The "wee man". :confused: Such an anti-Dub sentiment, every single article he writes will have some jibe or comment about Dublin. Hilariously blinkered.

But sure, that's what makes the wins so much sweeter when you think of someone like him. ;)

Advertisement