Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aircoach Dublin-Cork express

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Considering their website is still full of out of date or incorrect information I'll doubt that very much. It still mentions that the Cork service leaves from the Coach park in two places, and that is just for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Is the extra comfort seating that Bus Eireann are talking about the same seating that people have said on here has less legroom than on the old coaches? If so that is an interesting claim.

As for other developments within Aircoach, it seems not only did the MD also take up a role within the UK arm of First recently, and a new Business Manager post being created, it also seems the Service Delivery Manager, is now leaving his post next month.

Perhaps the changes that have been ongoing will lead to some of the issues being discussed previously being resolved. There certainly seems to be changes in management, that is for sure. Perhaps there will even be a sale of the business, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

bk wrote: »
    Cash only, how typically Irish.

Please stop that - I respect your opinion but don't reduce yourself to pointlessly dismissing things as "Irish". Tickets for the express train to Rome Fiumicino are also cash only. Yes it's irritating but it's not "Irish".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

markpb wrote: »
    Please stop that - I respect your opinion but don't reduce yourself to pointlessly dismissing things as "Irish". Tickets for the express train to Rome Fiumicino are also cash only. Yes it's irritating but it's not "Irish".

No, it is in fact a very Irish thing.
    Irish use of cash highest in Europe:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/irish-use-of-cash-highest-in-eu-197337.html

Card use is much higher and much more widespread on the continent. Irish people still prefer cash and part of the reason is various services like buses, taxis, pubs, etc. that take cash only.

They are recruiting for more drivers now:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=360

Perhaps it will indicate later services from Cork coming. Perhaps it is just to replace people who have left. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

devnull wrote: »
    They are recruiting for more drivers now:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=360

Perhaps it will indicate later services from Cork coming. Perhaps it is just to replace people who have left. Who knows.
    If they are anything like Dublin Coach their conditions of pay for drivers won't be great and may lead to a high turnover of staff/drivers, Dublin Coach only pay their drivers for two runs even if they are late by an hour or two there is NO overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 double jeopardy

For all the posters who said the "lavantes" could not possibly be in here or working here,theres further unbelieveable stuff. Number 1 of 10 lavantes has arrived in town. Totaly re painted in aircoach blue and awaiting logos. They are 06/07 full leather seats and all have toilets. One would assume they are for the cork service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

For all the posters who said the "lavantes" could not possibly be in here or working here,theres further unbelieveable stuff. Number 1 of 10 lavantes has arrived in town. Totaly re painted in aircoach blue and awaiting logos. They are 06/07 full leather seats and all have toilets. One would assume they are for the cork service.

Well if true, then this is fantastic news :D

Seems like all my whining eventually paid off!!

IR and BE will be in serious trouble now. Toilets and folding tables were the two reasons some of my Corkonian friends gave for continuing to use the train to Cork.

I know the Levantes are far from perfect, that some people prefer the current Jonckheere due to more legroom and flat seating. But I think the folding table and in particular the toilet was badly needed and will draw far more people from the trains then the extra legroom would.

Of course they could also be possibly headed to Belfast, but with Belfasts quick 2h 10m running time, seems like less need for toilet equipped buses there.

I'd guess, these heading to Cork, the Jonckheere currently on the Cork route head to Belfast to replace the Setra's currently used there. Makes the most sense to me.

The news from Aircoach just gets better and better.

Will be interesting to see what GoBus do now. They really need to launch soon or they will have an uphill battle. On the other hand, looking at how high the loadings are starting to reach on the Aircoach, I think there maybe more then enough room for two direct operators, just like there is in Galway.

BTW if Aircoach are looking to copy another bus operators website, they should take a serious look at this:

http://www.polskibus.com/en

A Polish coach operators website, wow what a great site and even in both English and Polish. It really sells the main benefits, free wifi, toilets on board, reclining seats, etc.

Also their coaches look very modern and impressive, sort of puts us to shame to see how good they have it in Poland!!:

http://www.polskibus.com/en/bus-features

I also love their brand subtitle:
    Fast, Cheap, Comfortable

Simple, but exactly what you want to be getting across about your coach service, non of "It's Rapid"!! bs.

Are these in addition to the six vehicles that are supposed to be coming from First or instead of them or are those six included in the ten?

The thing is, First in the UK only has six Levante's according to what I have read elsewhere, so how would there be ten coming in? Have they been acquired from someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Can I get a return ticket from the driver from cork - dublin route and if so is it for a specific return date or open return from dublin to cork. Thanks!

• Advertisement

You can use the return portion of your ticket on any journey, on any date, on the Dublin to Cork Route. Tickets can be purchased from the driver.

stamjoe wrote: »
    Can I get a return ticket from the driver from cork - dublin route and if so is it for a specific return date or open return from dublin to cork. Thanks!

Yes, you can buy a ticket from the driver and the return portion can be used on and date and time.

Also if you do book online, the booking guarantees you a seat on the selected date and time, but you can actually use the ticket at any time on the date entered (i.e. so if you turn up early, you can get an earlier bus or if you just miss it, you can get the next).

Likewise on the return journey, for a prebooked ticket, you can use the return portion on any day and time, totally open.

This level of flexibility is fantastic, and yet another reason to take this service over Irish Rails totally inflexible system.

From what i have read elsewhere there is at least four of those Caetano coaches coming later this month. Still no other information on what else could be on the way.

Saw a few middle of the day departures on the Cork route and the even hours in particular as struggling. More advertising needed still.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cabincrewifly

I'm using the Air Coach service for the first time tomorrow morning. Myself and a friend are traveling from Cork to Dublin Airport on the 6AM service from Patrick's Quay. For years, I've flown from Cork to Dublin. When the flights ended, I brought my loyalty to Irish Rail. I'm really excited to sample this company.....and for the price of €28 return to the doors of Dublin Airport its a bargain.

Cabincrewfly, how did you find it? Are they still making unscheduled toilet stops?

By the way, you can save 10% with a discount code if you go to the Aircoach facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cabincrewifly

The service was brilliant. On the Cork to Dublin run at 5AM, the load wasn't great. Maybe 15 people. We arrived in Dublin Airport about 15 mins early. The wifi was a welcome bonus the seats were comfy and very generous seat recline. We made a stop by some hotel with a load of fast food outlets for a toilet break. Dropped right outside T2 departures in Dub. Fab.

On return, the great thing was we were ready to come home earlier then the 16.30 we booked so we could jump on the 15.30 at the airport without a problem. The load was a lot more healthy, maybe 65 percent full. A lot more people got on in the city centre. We made another stop on the way home in urlingford for 5 mins exactly. Was no inconvenience. Arrived at Patrick's Quay bang on time at 7pm.

I would defo use this instead of Irish rail a lot more relaxing i just cant fall asleep on the train! For the price of 28 euro return to the airport its great. Using it again this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jaysus, getting the aircoach from Dublin on a Friday is like trying to get on the last helicopter out of Saigon.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

From what i have read elsewhere there is at least four of those Caetano coaches coming later this month. Still no other information on what else could be on the way.

Two have arrived so far. The one on the right not looking the very best. Lets hope it gets the silver front before entering traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/7577471282/

The first Levante has now entered service complete with toilet. It has branding for the Dublin to Cork Service on the side.

Pics below:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/7684802968/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/7684803668/

They are also now running a competition to win an iPad if you share their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not sure if anyone has posted it here but I have heard a few radio adds advertising Cork and Belfast express from Dublin.

• Advertisement

Just looked at the Aircoach Facebook page earlier and what seems to be fake slurs against the company are now being posted I would hope vested interests are not at play here because that is a very bad thing to do and I would hope nobody would draw themselves down to this level.

It looks a bit suspicious when someone posts a complaint about a bag being taken in Fermoy, where Aircoach do not stop, someone points this out, so the person changes their story, someone queries why the need to change the story and the fact the tone of the post does not sound like someone who has genuinely lost their bag and she deletes that and then posts another complaint.

You then have another complaint about Aircoach making seven stops and Bus Eireann being the only true non stop service that gets liked by 25 people, and you start to wonder what really is going on.

Edit: it seems she has deleted all of her posts now, presumably as she has been found out.

When someone has to repost something when someone replies to them because they don't want others to see the replies on their thread, there has to be some reason behind that as surely they would just edit their post, clearly the one outlined above looks very dodgy.

This one looks a little suspect too:
    http://www.facebook.com/aircoach.ie/posts/356537924417190

As has been posted, it is interesting that the poster promotes a Bus Eireann service that does not officially exist, claiming that it runs as advertised when it is not advertised at all, and just by chance her experience happens one day before the Aircoach non-stop service starts. Also as has been pointed out there are contradictions in her story.

The great thing about telling the truth is you don't mix up any details as you don't need to remember what you said before.

It seems the people making up stuff like dub_commuter and Dalkey Resident to try and harm the company have now made it to Facebook.

The first Levante has now entered service complete with toilet. It has branding for the Dublin to Cork Service on the side.

Great news, looks like a nice coach, can't wait to try it out.

On their facebook page they say:
    At this point in time a few of the coaches have toilet facilities on the Cork route but we do hope to have all the Express Cork services to all have toilet facilities in the near future.

It seems the people making up stuff like dub_commuter and Dalkey Resident to try and harm the company have now made it to Facebook.

It's a mess this morning alright and looks a little suspect. They really need to moderate their page better, because it was that kind of behavior we had on boards not so long ago which led to numerous warnings and a few bans in the Patton thread.
    bk wrote: »
    Great news, looks like a nice coach, can't wait to try it out.

On their facebook page they say:

I still think they'd need a few more than 3-4 coaches which is all they are apparently getting of this type. Some peopl,e say these are not in the best condition inside as they have had 6 years of National Express work, but maybe they had some work done before they came to Dublin?

I still think they'd need a few more than 3-4 coaches which is all they are apparently getting of this type. Some peopl,e say these are not in the best condition inside as they have had 6 years of National Express work, but maybe they had some work done before they came to Dublin?

Oh, I agree, ideally all coaches on the direct intercity routes should have toilets on board.

Cork first as it is somewhat less necessary to Belfast due to the shorter journey time.

If they can get the 6 rumoured coaches for Cork, then that would cover the majority of peak services where it is most needed. For off-peak they can continue to stop at Urlingford and it wouldn't have as big an impact on schedule. However ideally all coaches should have it. Hopefully this is just a stop gap measure.

On the other hand maybe they are doing this in the hope that it will stop GoBus from even launching their now very late service. Perhaps Aircoach won't go beyond the 4 - 6 coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It is worth noting that the Levante's are 51 seater with toilets.

Toilets excepted they will be a step down in comfort from the SHVs and Setras which are lower density with more legroom.

For seat space and comfort they will be on a par (or below as PBs are generally regarded as superior to Levantes) with the Bus Eireann coaches that you have concluded are a poor alternative to the Aircoach standard.

The Levante's are actually 49 seats with toilets, the 51 seaters are those without toilets.

I haven't been on the Aircoach Levante's, but my experience on some of the newer National Express ones in the UK is that there is a little more room than the PB's, the first row of seating is closer to the front of the coach but there is not much in it. They're certainly better than the new SE's with Bus Eireann leg room wise which have less room than the PB's but the Levante's are not without their drawbacks, such as theatre seating layout, non slopping luggage racks.

For sure the Setra's and Jonckheere's have more room though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I see they have deleted the contentious thread on their facebook page. Probably right to do so as well. neither side were going to come out as a winner in that.

That thread was a little odd, as the original poster appeared to claim the Aircoach service is not non-stop when the Bus Eireann one is and went on to contradict her original complaint. It seems others noticed this and pretty strongly argued with her about this.. She then accused them of working for Aircoach. Then had a rant about how much better public operators are than privates.

To be honest I can see why both sides got worked up, the people who were sticking up for Aircoach were clearly a bit too defensive and looking for a confrontation to a degree, but then again some of the original posters complaint did seem to contradict itself and looked inaccurate. At the same time however the industry rant by the OP did look a little more tan simply a irate customer.

As stated before, it was very similar to the kind of antics we've had on boards in the past on the Patton thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

agreed, I had actually posted on that thread to correct a few things in her post, I wasn't accused of being a shill thankfully though :)

one of the profiles defending Aircoach was a bit iffy though. I had looked at their profile earlier in the night where their location was Belfast, that was then changed to Cork along with a new profile picture. Could have been innocent, but I can see how it could have been suspicious.

I do think there is a bit of a PR war going on from both sides at the moment especially through Facebook recently. Interesting times!

Advertisement