Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY e-liquid advice needed

• 11-02-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

I think I've reached the point where I'm willing to try making my own, cost effective juice.

Menthol 18mg is my poison, so if I were to make some, would I be right in thinking that I need the following:

PG base nicotine (just seems to wick better in tanks)
    PG or VG to thin it out/bulk it up
    Menthol flavouring

Is Inewara the place to shop?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

inawera has some nice flavours although i cant speak to their menthol as I hate the stuff

the best thing to do imo is to buy 100ml of their 36mg flavourless pg liquid, then buy 1 or 200ml of their 0mg flavourless pg liquid so you can make you whatever strength of base liquid you want

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

I made my first batch of DIY liquid a fortnight ago with flavours I got from Inawera. I got 17 different flavours and made up 5mls of each. I read that you have to steep them for at least two weeks to get the full flavour so tested two of them last night. Black Cherry was horrible but Canadian Maplewood was great...just like the stuff you buy. I used a 52mg base 75% PG 25% VG. 5% flavour. I used the EJuice Me Up calculator which was very helpful. One thing I would advise you is to ignore the drop measures and use a syringe...take the plunger out and pour the liquid in that way you'll get an accurate measure. It's very cheap and fun too. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I think I've reached the point where I'm willing to try making my own, cost effective juice.

Menthol 18mg is my poison, so if I were to make some, would I be right in thinking that I need the following:

PG base nicotine (just seems to wick better in tanks)
    PG or VG to thin it out/bulk it up
    Menthol flavouring

Is Inewara the place to shop?

Thanks for any advice.

If you go for Inawera they have Base VPG - POWER which is a 50/50 pg vg mix. You can get it with 0,6, 12, 18, 26 and 36%nic.
    Dekang standard is 70/30 pg vg so you can judge how much mix you need by how good you find that for wicking.
    Price is based on nic content you could get a 36% and 6% 100 mil of each mix them half and half to have 21%nic 200ml. Cost you about 15 euro.
    Add flavor at anything from 5 to 20%, most you would need is 40 mls of flavor
    Another 12 euro P&P about a fiver.
    10%flavor and you have 19mg nic juice, 200mls for 32 euro.
    Assuming you get flavors you can use thats a good bargain.
    Inawrea have a good selection of flavors, I'v tried about 12 of them and used 10. 2 were so not to my taste that I left them alone after testing.
    Delivery was about 10 days first time and almost 3 weeks the next time (got anote saying that they were out of one flavor and held off till it could be included, could have put that on the tracking but..).

I havn't tried any other supplier but their are some reports in the liquid reviews thread of flavors from Inawera and others.

Bubba9 wrote: »
    I made my first batch of DIY liquid a fortnight ago with flavours I got from Inawera. I got 17 different flavours and made up 5mls of each. I read that you have to steep them for at least two weeks to get the full flavour so tested two of them last night. Black Cherry was horrible but Canadian Maplewood was great...just like the stuff you buy. I used a 52mg base 75% PG 25% VG. 5% flavour. I used the EJuice Me Up calculator which was very helpful. One thing I would advise you is to ignore the drop measures and use a syringe...take the plunger out and pour the liquid in that way you'll get an accurate measure. It's very cheap and fun too. Best of luck with it

Where did you get the 52mg base?
    I'v never had the patience to wait a fortnight, did you try it fresh to see if it was different?
    Please do post your flavor review in the liquid thread, I'm not stopped buying yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Where did you get the 52mg base?
    I'v never had the patience to wait a fortnight, did you try it fresh to see if it was different?
    Please do post your flavor review in the liquid thread, I'm not stopped buying yet. :D

I was wrong, it was 54mg. Got it here:

http://www.ecigwizard.com/shop/en/mixing/227-pure-54-nicotine-base-pg-or-vg.html

You can get higher strengths in China. You can even get 100% pure nicotine which I think is near enough to 1000mg which of course is poison and shouldn't be posted let alone sold. I got the PG & VG from Irish Vapors and just the flavours from Inawera.

No, just bottled it up and put away after mixing. As an old girlfriend told me once anything good is worth waiting for:)

I'll hold off on the liquid reviews until I have this lark perfected cause if something tastes bad it's most likely me than the juice that's at fault.

whenever I made juices I just vaped them straight away, bugger that steeping malarky

although I only ever made 5ml, always meant to make 30ml when i perfectedf it.. and then just bought more juice and kept "intending" to mix more in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

the best thing to do imo is to buy 100ml of their 36mg flavourless pg liquid, then buy 1 or 200ml of their 0mg flavourless pg liquid
    If you go for Inawera they have Base VPG - POWER which is a 50/50 pg vg mix. You can get it with 0,6, 12, 18, 26 and 36%nic.
    Dekang standard is 70/30 pg vg so you can judge how much mix you need by how good you find that for wicking.
    Price is based on nic content you could get a 36% and 6% 100 mil of each mix them half and half to have 21%nic 200ml.
    er... I would say more practical way to do is to get :
    - PG eco base 38mg
    http://www.inawera.com/pg-ecobaza-38-mg-ml-p-300.html
    - Propylene Glycol
    http://www.inawera.com/glycol-propylene-12-100-ml-p-18.html
    - VG
    http://www.inawera.com/pharmaceutical-glycerine-995-vol-100-ml-p-474.html

these 3 items let you make Any type of mix u want
    5O/5O , 7O/3O , 75/25 ,65/35 ( PG/VG) etc

Thanks again folks, plenty of food for thought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

and if you're serious about menthol get some menthol crystals
    http://www.reachpharmacy.com/shop/Bells-menthol-aromatherapy.html
    available from boots ,other pharmicies or health food shops...boots have them for €2.20
    Good for spicing up most premixed juices :-) - enjoy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

It is diluted with 15% water
    I didn't know that , probably worth a try....
    It is probably makes sense when u using only VG based liquid ( as VG very thick in comparison to PG , wicking won't be great without water ) ,but as far as we normally mixing pg- vg 65/35 ,70/30 etc , hardly any need for water IMO ...
    I've tried to add some brandy in to the juice(10 %) - not bad at all, not my favorite though

derra wrote: »
    Would it be better to use 0 nic VG?
    It is diluted with 15% water.
    http://www.inawera.com/vg-biobaza-0mgml-p-306.html

Probably a stupid question but are you talking about 0 nic as a base? How do you make a base of 0 or 6 into a juice of 18mg. I'm very new to this and thought you just get a higher base than you vape and dilute it down with PG/VG and add flavour.

You are right , to make 18 mg , u have to get higher base -- 38 mg for instance .
    what derra saying is instead diluting it with pure VG u might do it with VG BASE 0mg

Cheers Alec...makes sense now.

Anyone ever try Wera Garden flavours from Inawera.

Cheers Alec...makes sense now.

Anyone ever try Wera Garden flavours from Inawera.

Super strong, approach with caution.
    I got the usa mix one and at 2 drops to 1ml thats about 3 - 3.1/2 % it was horrible so bad I was told I could 'go do that outside'
    I mixed some up with 0nic pg at 20% and then used that to add the drops, much better, still a horrible honey taste; this time we could identify the smell (but thats Marlboro for ya) add some karamel and I'll get use out of it admittedly when everything else runs out but still "when all fruit is gone, welcome haw"

Super strong, approach with caution.
    I got the usa mix one and at 2 drops to 1ml thats about 3 - 3.1/2 % it was horrible so bad I was told I could 'go do that outside

They say on their site that 1 to 2 drops per 5 ml so maybe 2 drops in one ml was a bit much. Of the two pages only the first has measurements on how much to add, the second page seems to be guess work. Still, next time I'm ordering will get a couple of flavours to see how they turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Probably a stupid question but are you talking about 0 nic as a base? How do you make a base of 0 or 6 into a juice of 18mg. I'm very new to this and thought you just get a higher base than you vape and dilute it down with PG/VG and add flavour.

Only seeing this now Bubba but i see Alec cleared it up for ya anyway.

That Inawera place is getting more and more popular, taking a lot longer now before they ship your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

.... at 2 drops to 1ml thats about 3 - 3.1/2 % ....
    That's 10%. 1ml = 20 drops.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

Jasus I went mental so! it was only ment to be used at 3% max.
    It was still horible only more so tho.
    Not inaweras fault more to do with my dislike for honey flavored tobacco.
    Anyway least said the beter, posting at 3 am is never clever. I wouldn't attempt it if i were sober :D

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Not necessary , depends of liquid's thickness.
    20 drops for some inawera flavours ~ 0.4-0.6 ml

alec76 wrote: »
    Not necessary , depends of liquid's thickness.
    20 drops for some inawera flavours ~ 0.4-0.6 ml

Tru Dat!
    The karamel comes out in big gloops, the morning rain is a slight mist, well small drops anyway.

I think those "drops" are misleading. I measured one dropper bottle into a syrninge and got 32 drops to 1ml and another liquid measured 27. I just go with the ml measurement and use a syringe taking out the plunger and dropping the liquid into the top. 7 of my 17 mixes turned out really well so it's now down to fine tuning and hopefully I'll be getting the flavour of choice at 10% of the cost of normal eliquid....that's the plan anyway.

inawera shipped my order \o/

1 x E-FLAVOUR TABACCO - US RED MIX
    2 x E-FLAVOUR TABACCO "GOLD DUCAT"
    1 x E-FLAVOUR TABACCO "AMERICAN TYPE
    1 x E-FLAVOUR TABACCO "NUTTY PRINCESS
    1 x E-FLAVOUR TABACCO "MORNING RAIN
    1 x Dirty Neutral Base 12, the nicotine content of 12 mg / ml. Cap.

hopefully enough to get a feel for what I oughta order more of to make a big supply of tobacco juices.

This is what I ordered:

PG base, 38 mg/ml 100 ml X1
    PG base, 6 mg/ml 100 ml X1
    MENTHOL, 5 ml 5 ml X4

I forgot to order a pipette of course! I'm sure I'll manage without one though.

The plan is to mix the PG bases together and end up with somewhere close to 20mg/ml 200 ml
    Then start adding the menthol until it tasts right.
    Probably a very simplistic attidude, I don't know, never tried this before and am kind of flying blind!

I went for PG as it seems to wick better for me, but thinking about it now, should I add some VG to the mix for vapour?
    If so, I've seen glycerine for sale in Tesco. It's Dr. Oetker stuff for home baking!!

i iwsh I knew about vg tbh
    i think the dekang juices ive been vaping for most of ther last year are 100% pg and i'm more than happy with the amount of vapour that has been produced
    i dont even know if it's neccesary tbh, and if it is.. what levels would be advised

youve actually given me an idea
    i have 100ml of 36mg and 3 100mlg bottles of 0mg. I might just fill up an entire large bottle of something and make a huge mix of 12mg pg juice instead of having to create the new mix for 12mg every damn time I want to mix something
    ]
    --edit

oh, and i dont know if 5ml of menthol is enough for 200ml of pg base

im nmot saying it isn't im just saying I dont know. maybe try making 30ml first and see how many drops you need to get a satisfying flavour. otherwise you could end up with 200ml of not very mentholy pg liquid.

Thanks, I got 20ml of menthol though, MENTHOL, 5 ml 5 ml X4

oooh right

well then, go nuts I suppose :)

im gona start with 5ml bottles and see how many drops of flavourings I need, then try to scale up.
    I remember when I fisrt mixed a few juices, I had to put 2-3ml of banana flavour into the 5ml of pg to get a decent flavour.

im gona start with 5ml bottles and see how many drops of flavourings I need, then try to scale up.

Yeah, was thinking of using a 20ml bottle and counting the drops too.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

this post got me to dig out my flavours to make up a few mixes, and then I realised I dont have any atomisers to test out my mixes only cartos

rage

Advertisement